PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Zigg
December 24th, 2009, 02:29
Hi guys, I've been interested in getting this sim, but I'm hearing so many differing opinions of it, ranging from 'brilliant' to 'don't waste your money, the graphics are awful'........I'm confused :kilroy:. Surely graphics are good or bad, whether you like the subject matter is a different thing, eh?
I'd appreciate your views :salute:

IanHenry
December 24th, 2009, 04:43
Hi Zigg,
the graphics can give a shimmering effect in the distance, but closer up the terrain etc looks as good if not better than FSX with any add-on that you can mention. The aircraft are incredibly well done as are the flight models, particularly the damage/crash effects.
I would strongly recommend getting this sim if your hardware is up to it, although my old computer (E6700 2.66, GTX 8800) managed it very well.
Those are of course my personal opinions, after all it is your money!

Regards,
Ian.

gajit
December 24th, 2009, 05:12
Hi - what you see on screenshots is definately what you get and for me this works better on my lame old PC than FSX - try the demo first - that will make your mind up!

Snuffy
December 24th, 2009, 06:43
It took a little work, but I was able to get it going on my machine. Its a hoot.

There are a couple 3rd party packages out there already too that allow you to build missions for the sim ...

Definiately worth a look.

As Gajit says, the screen shots here are what you see in game.

Zigg
December 25th, 2009, 06:39
I downloaded and installed the demo, but when I try and launch it, I get an update box which won't complete until I click on the 'register' button, which I do which takes me to the register webpage, which, in turn, when I click on the 'demo' button, informs me that I have to just enter my details that I used to create my account, to enter the game, which I have, but when I try and lauch the game..........etc, etc, etc..........endless loop syndrome.........:bump:. Help anyone?

Snuffy
December 25th, 2009, 07:36
Seems you're not the only one with the problem ...

Check their site.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/

Zigg
December 25th, 2009, 14:48
Glad its not only me. Still no idea how to fix it tho............:isadizzy:

Snuffy
December 25th, 2009, 14:57
Okay I got mine fixed again. Finally Yay!

gajit
December 25th, 2009, 23:18
Great to hear that Snuffy :jump::jump:

Zigg
December 27th, 2009, 01:10
Do you think this problem will be fixed by 'them', ie. I'll try and launch the game and bingo it'll work, or have I got to do something?:salute:

podunkpete
December 27th, 2009, 06:22
Zigg - I downloaded the demo, and must say the graphics and flight characteristics seemed great. BUT - the frustration level at just trying to get through the registration and then getting my guns to fire from my joystick was such that I cleaned it off the HD. Do a lot of research and learn the ins and outs of the game before you try it. You may get more enjoyment out of it.

Zigg
December 27th, 2009, 08:03
Thanks podunkpete, from all the reading I've been doing about it, I think I'll leave it alone 'til it's a going concern rather than a work in progress. There seems to be more disgruntled than gruntled people out there.......:isadizzy:

gajit
December 27th, 2009, 08:32
Oh well - thats 2 less for me to have to shoot down :medals:

Zigg
December 27th, 2009, 09:30
Oh well - thats 2 less for me to have to shoot down :medals:

haha.........:kilroy:

Snuffy
December 27th, 2009, 14:43
Zigg, might I ask about your O.S. it seems that there are certain requirments to run this thing in anything other than XP. If you have Vista or 7, you need to approach this from an administrative point of view.

Installing and running as administrator of your computer.

I highly suggest you make the trip over to the neoqb forums ... it may be worth the trip for getting your problems fixed.

Zigg
December 27th, 2009, 15:59
Zigg, might I ask about your O.S. it seems that there are certain requirments to run this thing in anything other than XP. If you have Vista or 7, you need to approach this from an administrative point of view.

Installing and running as administrator of your computer.

I highly suggest you make the trip over to the neoqb forums ... it may be worth the trip for getting your problems fixed.

I'm running XP pro sp3 and am logged on as admin.
Foxconn Mars mobo
Intel E5200 2.5ghz o/c to 3.25ghz
4gb kingston ram
Ati x1950 pro graphics 512mb
Creative sb x-fi soundcard
800w psu

Neoqb forums seem to be saturated with folk having varying problems with ROF, vary rarely are there posts from those that are having a good time with it. But I guess that's the very nature of forums, happy people tend to just get on with their games........except guys like you, who want to help guys like me.......:ernae:

beana51
December 27th, 2009, 16:19
If your going to FSX,I suggest go to your bank,negotiate a loan,a substantial loan,put your self into the hands of a fanatical geek.he will lead you thru the mysteries of puting together a "Rig", Think like 4 or 5 thousand dollars.Still thats no guarantee you will be pleased with FSX!

Now if you go the FS9 route,well any Computer is your oyster.Advice,Pricing,reliability,huge selection of add-ons,make FS9 a pleasure...Nothing like dealing with an old reliable firm!!!

However if your a masochist of sorts,and like to inflict pain to your self like many of us here do,or did,...Why FSX is the way to go!!.Like beating yourself on the head with a hammer..it feels so good when you stop, I did just that,by removing FSX from my life!...."HAPPY NEW YEAR":ernae:

Zigg
December 27th, 2009, 17:09
If your going to FSX,I suggest go to your bank,negotiate a loan,a substantial loan,put your self into the hands of a fanatical geek.he will lead you thru the mysteries of puting together a "Rig", Think like 4 or 5 thousand dollars.Still thats no guarantee you will be pleased with FSX!

Now if you go the FS9 route,well any Computer is your oyster.Advice,Pricing,reliability,huge selection of add-ons,make FS9 a pleasure...Nothing like dealing with an old reliable firm!!!

However if your a masochist of sorts,and like to inflict pain to your self like many of us here do,or did,...Why FSX is the way to go!!.Like beating yourself on the head with a hammer..it feels so good when you stop, I did just that,by removing FSX from my life!...."HAPPY NEW YEAR":ernae:

Have I missed something??.........:confused:

Happy new year anyway.........:ernae:

beana51
December 27th, 2009, 17:28
Hi guys, I've been interested in getting this Sim, but I'm hearing so many differing opinions of it, ranging from 'brilliant' to 'don't waste your money, the graphics are awful'........I'm confused :kilroy:. Surely graphics are good or bad, whether you like the subject matter is a different thing, eh?
I'd appreciate your views :salute:

Hi ZIGG...You spoke money?..Confused?Want Views?...well that was mine...Views that is!.....For the bottom line is MONEY!!...lots of it to make FSX try to live up to the hype out there!......However you will find what your seeking here...Free Advice!!!...Cheers Again...and "ROTSARERUCK"...............Vin!! :icon_lol:

Snuffy
December 27th, 2009, 18:09

Have I missed something??.........:confused:

Happy new year anyway.........:ernae:

No, Zigg, I don't think you missed anything ... if anything, I think beana51 missed something. He's off spouting off about a sim that has nothing to do with the fact that he's in a forum about a different sim than the one he's spouting off about.

:pop4:

Ferry_vO
December 28th, 2009, 07:28
No, Zigg, I don't think you missed anything ... if anything, I think beana51 missed something.

Yep, definitely in the wrong place here...
:pop4:

heywooood
December 28th, 2009, 13:13
don't miss out on Rise of Flight - yes it is a work in progress

so was FSX - until all progress stopped with the Aces team dismantling -
now FSX progress continues in the hands of its talented 3rd party community...

I for one feel fortunate to have gotten into RoF from the ground floor...it is interesting to follow its developments from the inside - rather than from the sidelines, just waiting for it to get to a form that achieves MY ideal

On the inside you can fly it and use it and become familiar with it - and its ME - thereby having the advantage over someone who refuses to spend the what? $ 30.00 ? it now costs....ok....stay out until its PERFECT I guess.

But your missing out on some good clean flightsimmin' fun

gajit
December 28th, 2009, 13:58
well said Heywooood

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/gotob.jpg