PDA

View Full Version : Lens caps, who needs em?

djscoo
December 23rd, 2009, 22:00
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

I thought that was interesting...I still won't leave my cap off for more than a few minutes.

luckydog
December 23rd, 2009, 22:11
WoW!!!

Is this a joke ??

When I buy a new lens, a "protective" filter (usually UV) is immediately attached.....and the lens cap is always nearby.

djscoo
December 23rd, 2009, 22:21
WoW!!!

Is this a joke ??

When I buy a new lens, a "protective" filter (usually UV) is immediately attached.....and the lens cap is always nearby.
100% real

The explanation makes sense to me, if the scratch is on the front element, the light is bent and modified through the subsequent elements and the damage is lost in the process. It doesn't negate the need for a lens cap, just shows that a little dust or a scratch won't ruin a lens.

luckydog
December 23rd, 2009, 22:58
I agree that an abused lens can still take a "picture". :isadizzy:

No further comment.

djscoo
December 23rd, 2009, 23:59
They admit its not a good picture at all...I think the point was that a lens with a completely smashed front element can take a picture with reasonable clarity. Those first two pictures in which there is definately some blurring, yet still clear enough for the writing to be legible were taken with the smashed lens.

Cazzie
December 24th, 2009, 03:33
No, i do not keep a lens cover on, but like LD I never buy a lens without getting a UV protective filter to screw over the main lens. An $18.00 item is much easier to replace than a $200.00 item.

Caz

6297J
December 24th, 2009, 04:25
I have a neutral clear filter on all the lenses except the 300mm which has an internal removable/changeable filter (it doesn't have a lens cap though - it's too big!). I tend to take the lens cap off and put it in my back pocket until I'm done for the day or unless it starts raining when I put it on again in a hurry - I HATE getting rain drops on my lens!!

Cratermaker
December 24th, 2009, 07:05
I get a protective filter for my lenses too. Not just for the scratch resistance, but also because I can take it off and clean the heck out of it without worrying about fluid getting in the lens and such. Plus.. I can more easily inspect my work cleaning the filter than I can the front lens element.

Kiwikat will probably go nuts when I say this, but... I wish Canon shipped Nikon style lens caps with their lenses. Sure makes it easier to cap the lens when there is a hood on it. In the case of lens cap design, I freely admit: advantage Nikon

Kiwikat
December 24th, 2009, 13:37
Kiwikat will probably go nuts when I say this, but... I wish Canon shipped Nikon style lens caps with their lenses. Sure makes it easier to cap the lens when there is a hood on it. In the case of lens cap design, I freely admit: advantage Nikon

Nope, I agree. Canon makes the worst lens caps. Their rear caps are OK. Tamron makes nice center-pinch caps as well.

Canon needs to start shipping cases, lens hoods, and better front caps with all their lenses, not just the L series. The other companies can get these few things right, why can't Canon?

I'll be ordering a 77mm center pinch cap for my 100-400 once I get it. Though I think the "Ultrasonic" looks cool... hmm.

6297J
December 24th, 2009, 13:55
I would recommend one of these if you have a big lens -

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=16&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=6

- nice and stretchy and stays put once it's on.

And if you are the type that keeps losing them, maybe try one of these :icon_lol: -

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=11&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=6

kilo delta
December 25th, 2009, 10:24
I'm another who insists on keeping a good UV filter on his lenses....only time I remove them is to fit another filter or if I'm taking a night shot.

Henry
December 28th, 2009, 10:33
a good UV filter is a must
i have seen so many lenses dropped
its cheaper to replace a filter than have a front element replaced
i always thought that it was a sales pitch
until i worked in a camera store
and if the filter gets scratched viola a soft focus filter:icon_lol:
H