PDA

View Full Version : disappearing islands

p0pr0ck
December 23rd, 2009, 11:58
Hey Guys Merry Christmas to all.

I am an avid flyer of cfs1 and several years ago put in the islands from H_Squad. One of them does not show up at all and another I can see from ten miles but at 4.6 miles out it vanishes! And on another two of them I can see the island base but the mountains do not show up.

There are two different kinds of textures in the texture folder for these islands.

Does anybody know why this is happening? I give up.

Thanks for any input.

p0pr0ck

hubbabubba
December 23rd, 2009, 14:23
Merry Christmas to you too:ernae:

This is only a wild guess since I don't know what scenery you're talking about exactly but, in my experience as a scenery designer, that sort of behaviour is caused by faulty V1 and V2 settings.

V1 is the distance at which an object appears, V2 is the radius at which it goes out as you're flying over and passed it. Large objects, which would include these islands, are often "flicking out" too soon.

If you could tell us where we could find these troublesome scenery, some of us could probably have a look at them and, if needed, fix them... in our spare time of course.:kilroy:

p0pr0ck
December 23rd, 2009, 16:33
Merry Christmas to you too:ernae:

This is only a wild guess since I don't know what scenery you're talking about exactly but, in my experience as a scenery designer, that sort of behaviour is caused by faulty V1 and V2 settings.

V1 is the distance at which an object appears, V2 is the radius at which it goes out as you're flying over and passed it. Large objects, which would include these islands, are often "flicking out" too soon.

If you could tell us where we could find these troublesome scenery, some of us could probably have a look at them and, if needed, fix them... in our spare time of course.:kilroy:

Thanks for the response. The scenery came from the H_Squad website which I do not think is there anymore. I take it that it would take an adjustment with scenery tools to fix, eh? Thanks again, p0pr0ck

Ivan
December 23rd, 2009, 17:38
Hi Hubbabubba, PopRock,

I am guessing that it is conflicting scenery. Both sceneries take the same space, but one is visible further out. When you are within range, the "Ocean" part of the other scenery is displayed where the first island usta be. This is only a guess because I don't know what specific scenery you are describing.

- Ivan.

hubbabubba
December 23rd, 2009, 18:42
The scenery came from the H_Squad website which I do not think is there anymore.

Yes it is!

Tell me if you find it here; http://hsquad.katuu.com/scenery/scenery.html

p0pr0ck
December 23rd, 2009, 19:37
Yes it is!

Tell me if you find it here; http://hsquad.katuu.com/scenery/scenery.html
Thanks hubbabubba. the H_squad is the right place and the scenery in question is ice isle and tundra island. Thanks for the link. I love these guys' stuff. I also like aac ripe and the refuel zones. cfs needd that for a long time.
p0p

p0pr0ck
December 23rd, 2009, 19:45
Hi Hubbabubba, PopRock,

I am guessing that it is conflicting scenery. Both sceneries take the same space, but one is visible further out. When you are within range, the "Ocean" part of the other scenery is displayed where the first island usta be. This is only a guess because I don't know what specific scenery you are describing.

- Ivan.
Thanks for the response Ivan. But the sceneries are miles apart.
p0p

hubbabubba
December 23rd, 2009, 20:26
No problems p0pr0ck.

If I were you, I would try first to download the scenery I want and re-install with them. Some have been «patched».

If the problems persist, try to contact the creator first. As copyrighted material, it would be improper for me to modify their works without permission, at least for distribution of any kind.

I'm in the process of "creaming" the site. Being on dial-up, it may take a while before I can come back to you. This is one more for my «to do» list...

Also thanks for AAC_Ripe and refuel zones appraisal, a tap in the back once in a while don't hurt :173go1:

Ivan
December 23rd, 2009, 20:45
Hey Poprock,

In case you didn't know, Hubbabubba is the creator of AAC_Ripe.

Regarding Islands miles apart, I was more thinking along the line that each island is conflicting with some scenery very close to it.

- Ivan.

p0pr0ck
December 23rd, 2009, 20:50
No problems p0pr0ck.

If I were you, I would try first to download the scenery I want and re-install with them. Some have been «patched».

If the problems persist, try to contact the creator first. As copyrighted material, it would be improper for me to modify their works without permission, at least for distribution of any kind.

I'm in the process of "creaming" the site. Being on dial-up, it may take a while before I can come back to you. This is one more for my «to do» list...

Also thanks for AAC_Ripe and refuel zones appraisal, a tap in the back once in a while don't hurt :173go1:
Didn't know I did anything wrong. I end my quest, have found the email of the author. I did not mean to offend. I got aac_ripe right here.
p0pr0ck

p0pr0ck

hubbabubba
December 23rd, 2009, 21:08
When you have two scenery competing, two things may happen;

1 - nothing, as they have both sufficient place in the buffer zone, or;

2 - «deck of cards» effect, so aptly named by smilo. An overflow of the buffer zone will force an endless repetition of the last scenery shown, as the next one could not «enter». This will ceased as soon as your out of the conflict zone... if you don't crash before:pop4:, LOL!

A disappearing act is almost certainly caused by a viewing parameter. The most common cause is, let us say, an a/c passing over the Refpoint of a large object (i.e. a runway) and leading to the vanishing of the object before it should be.

Now, let us imagine that we are aproching an island from the South going North. If the Refpoint of the scenery is on the South coast, the island may well disappear while you're just starting to cross it. The designer may well miss that if he always made his approaches coming from the North.

This is getting technical. I have just finished d/l of page one. I will have a quick look at Ice Island. Tundra will have to wait.

P.S.- You have used a forbidden word here. BTW, if you downloaded my scenery from this pirate site, the tap on the back may well be to find where to insert the dagger. This ****bag is generating traffic with stolen property while claiming serving the simming community. What a load of c**p! If it is still time, go and edit before SOH staff do it for you.

hubbabubba
December 24th, 2009, 07:08
I'm not offended. As a new member, you may not be aware of the harm these peoples (and I'm using the term loosely here) are making. Seeing your work offered under someones' else name, like Ivan's birds, or modified without permission, sometimes maliciously, is enough to make you quit modeling for others.

smilo
December 24th, 2009, 07:22
Hey Guys Merry Christmas to all.

I am an avid flyer of cfs1 and several years ago put in the islands from H_Squad. One of them does not show up at all and another I can see from ten miles but at 4.6 miles out it vanishes! And on another two of them I can see the island base but the mountains do not show up.

There are two different kinds of textures in the texture folder for these islands.

Does anybody know why this is happening? I give up.

Thanks for any input.

p0pr0ck

just wondering if they ever worked properly.

hubbabubba
December 24th, 2009, 07:42
I would need to know where you are when the Ice Island disappear. Use the shift+z key.

I have been around it once in a chopper and couldn't provoke the disappearance act. I can wander around willy-nilly for hours that way.

just wondering if they ever worked properly

Some did, smilo. I have Labrador Island and go there from time to time. Never had any problem. H_Squad seems more interested in flying within the islands rather than to and from them. This may explain the flickering-out on approaches.

smilo
December 24th, 2009, 09:09
Didn't know I did anything wrong. I end my quest, have found the email of the author. I did not mean to offend. I got aac_ripe right here.
p0pr0ck

p0pr0ck

P.S.- You have used a forbidden word here. BTW, if you downloaded my scenery from this pirate site, the tap on the back may well be to find where to insert the dagger. This ****bag is generating traffic with stolen property while claiming serving the simming community. What a load of c**p! If it is still time, go and edit before SOH staff do it for you.

interesting...apparently, I missed something
that has been taken care of.
I could guess, but won't.
no harm, no foul
thanks

hubbabubba
December 24th, 2009, 13:34
no harm, no foul

p0pr0ck may be new to te site, but he does catch a hint when he sees one!:bump:

p0pr0ck
December 25th, 2009, 19:34
just wondering if they ever worked properly.
I took the advice of Hubbabubba and downloaded new copies from H_Squad site. Thanks for the link Hubbabubba. Ice Isle is a new version to me, got my first download about 2002. Ice isle works perfectly now. I was unable to get tundra to show up at all. I am thinking it is probably my machine as evidently it works for them. I think of it this way, I got a free scenery download so I am not whining. One less island is all and I have had years of fun flying h_Squad scenery. They do a great job. Thanks and thanks to you for finding that link for me.

p0pr0ck

hubbabubba
December 26th, 2009, 08:58
Yeah p0pr0ck!

Ice Island works A-okay. I've tried approaches from every possible compass bearings and the Island did not flickered even once.

Let me check on Tundra. I have now downloaded all sceneries and will probably save them on a CD pretty soon.

hubbabubba
December 26th, 2009, 21:33
I was unable to get tundra to show up at all. I am thinking it is probably my machine as evidently it works for them. I think of it this way, I got a free scenery download so I am not whining. One less island is all and I have had years of fun flying h_Squad scenery. They do a great job. Thanks and thanks to you for finding that link for me.

Tundra works well here! I would guess that your installation of CFS1 does not follow the «regular» path;

c:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT GAMES\COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR\SCENERY

This is what happens with self-installing routine; they have a knack for screwing things up! LOL!

Many ways to solve that. But let's try the obvious one;

1- Go cut the sub-folder «Tundra» under the path way described above. Chances are that it was created by the ignominious «auto-installer».

2- If you can't find it this way, make a search for «Tundra».

3- Paste where your normally put your own scenery folders.

4- Do as you normally do to install a scenery.

It should work, give it a try. I think of it this way; why content yourself with half the fun when you can get all of it?:icon_lol:

P.S.- If it doen't work, we can try something else.

p0pr0ck
December 29th, 2009, 19:31
Tundra works well here! I would guess that your installation of CFS1 does not follow the «regular» path;

c:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT GAMES\COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR\SCENERY

This is what happens with self-installing routine; they have a knack for screwing things up! LOL!

Many ways to solve that. But let's try the obvious one;

1- Go cut the sub-folder «Tundra» under the path way described above. Chances are that it was created by the ignominious «auto-installer».

2- If you can't find it this way, make a search for «Tundra».

3- Paste where your normally put your own scenery folders.

4- Do as you normally do to install a scenery.

It should work, give it a try. I think of it this way; why content yourself with half the fun when you can get all of it?:icon_lol:

P.S.- If it doen't work, we can try something else.
My path is the normal one and the installer did well. WHen I look it up on the 'go to' menu it is there but when I goto the scenery there is nothing but ocean. I am thinking it is not compatible with my operating system. I have trouble with a couple of other sceneries. Suffice it to say that I accept this and maybe later on there will be a different version put out. But for now my disappearing islands have disappeared. Thanks for your assistance.p0pr0ck

hubbabubba
December 30th, 2009, 04:41
My next question would be; have you «activated» the Tundra scenery?

If so, make sure that all the bgl files in the scenery sub-folder are there; «HSHORE.bgl», «shorterra.bgl», and «tundrafd.BGL». The last one must be in place because the location appears in the «go to» menu.

If all bgl are in their proper place (in the «scenery» sub-folder of «Tundra» folder) and properly activated, check that the other sub-folder, named «texture», is there and contains all the R8 and BMP textures (132 of them).

I repeat; no reason for any OS to not show a scenery if it was installed properly.

p0pr0ck
December 30th, 2009, 15:46
My next question would be; have you «activated» the Tundra scenery?

If so, make sure that all the bgl files in the scenery sub-folder are there; «HSHORE.bgl», «shorterra.bgl», and «tundrafd.BGL». The last one must be in place because the location appears in the «go to» menu.

If all bgl are in their proper place (in the «scenery» sub-folder of «Tundra» folder) and properly activated, check that the other sub-folder, named «texture», is there and contains all the R8 and BMP textures (132 of them).

I repeat; no reason for any OS to not show a scenery if it was installed properly.
ALL scenery files are present and the scenery is properly installed and activated. I'm chalking it up to windows xp, not much I can do about that.p0p

hubbabubba
December 30th, 2009, 22:13
ALL scenery files are present and the scenery is properly installed and activated. I'm chalking it up to windows xp, not much I can do about that.p0p

Well, I'm still under W98SE, so I can't say much, good or bad, about XP.:kilroy: (I keep my venom for Vista! LOL!)

If everything is where it is supposed to be, and if it was properly activated, then I'm speechless... which is a rarity:icon_lol:, I know guys...

Short of dropping to your porch door and tackling your XP beast myself, I don't know what else to do...

... come to think of it, they're is a way to test the Tundra scenery. It's a bit extreme, but I would try it.

1- Locate a scenery that is showing OK, any scenery.

2- Back it up.

3- Gut it and replace all bgl of the sub-folder scenery by Tundra bgl.

4- Same thing with textures.

5- Go see.

If Tundra is there, it was installed incorrectly the first time. If it does not show, your Tundra download may be corrupted.

I don't know about you, but I hate loosing, even to a machine :blind:.

p0pr0ck
December 31st, 2009, 20:56
Well, I'm still under W98SE, so I can't say much, good or bad, about XP.:kilroy: (I keep my venom for Vista! LOL!)

If everything is where it is supposed to be, and if it was properly activated, then I'm speechless... which is a rarity:icon_lol:, I know guys...

Short of dropping to your porch door and tackling your XP beast myself, I don't know what else to do...

... come to think of it, they're is a way to test the Tundra scenery. It's a bit extreme, but I would try it.

1- Locate a scenery that is showing OK, any scenery.

2- Back it up.

3- Gut it and replace all bgl of the sub-folder scenery by Tundra bgl.

4- Same thing with textures.

5- Go see.

If Tundra is there, it was installed incorrectly the first time. If it does not show, your Tundra download may be corrupted.

I don't know about you, but I hate loosing, even to a machine :blind:.
Everything is in the right place and properly activated. I placed my old download in another folder. I have tried them both (separately) and the result is the same. nothing shows. This version must simply be not compatible with xp. It's a deadhorse. Catch you later. Thanks.

Dave Cumming
January 2nd, 2010, 00:31
The other problems with missing scenery are having the scenery in the wrong order and also with the wrong priority (ie layer order and type). Try setting the missing island at the top of the scenery list (ie layer 1) and setting type as local.

CFS builds the scenery in layers, with global scenery covering the widest area, regional, being more specific, local being the smallest area. I have heard that all the Global scenery should be at the bottom of the list, then Regional and Local scenery is at the top.

Hope this helps

Happy New Year

p0pr0ck
January 2nd, 2010, 19:34
The other problems with missing scenery are having the scenery in the wrong order and also with the wrong priority (ie layer order and type). Try setting the missing island at the top of the scenery list (ie layer 1) and setting type as local.

CFS builds the scenery in layers, with global scenery covering the widest area, regional, being more specific, local being the smallest area. I have heard that all the Global scenery should be at the bottom of the list, then Regional and Local scenery is at the top.

Hope this helps

Happy New Year
Thanks for the response. I have put tundra at the top of the stack with no improvement. However, since my last post something has come to light. My one island scenery (ice) has been blinking for years and was fixed by a new version. I do not go to all my sceneryregulalrly, having more than one gig in my scenery folder (FS98 too). - I have discovered another island that has turned itself off that I know I have flown recently. This means that I get to eat my own words and say that tundra is probably compatible with xp. The problem is my xp computer. My apologies to the author . The only thing I can think of that has changed is that we installed anti virus software a while back. It is a memory hog. Perhaps it is cutting off access in memory. I don't know that it is. I am only speculating now. I tried turning it off but it stays in memory. AS this computer gets attacked almost every day I dare not uninstall it. So that is where I am. The problem is still a deadhorse, can't do anything to fix it. And that is ok. Now we know I reckon. What else can it be? Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for getting me here. p0pr0ck

hubbabubba
January 2nd, 2010, 23:46
Happy New Year p0pr0ck:ernae:
I believe your horse is still kicking. The proof? Well; the Tundra scenery you can get at with the «Go to» function. This mean that your AFD (airport facility data) BGL is working («tundrafd.BGL», I believe).

So why the heck do the other BGL wouldn't show, for the sake of Bill all mighty?!!!:jump:

Don't compromise your security settings for a scenery, but don't let the machine have the better of you. The human race must prevail.