PDA

View Full Version : MRSA infections...

Wittpilot
December 23rd, 2009, 11:07
Just like hey_Moe... My whole family has had some type of mrsa infection over the past couple of months. Started with my 1 year old on her bottom... she was hospitalized for a week and had surgery. I got it on my knee, pretty bad, and I will have a scar. 1 week in and I could already feel the pain shooting towards my lymph nodes. 2 year old daughter had a bump on her butt too... Not quite as bad.

Here's the kicker... I had rarely ever even heard of this stuff before, and now it seems like everyone gets it, and it's on the rise. They say that 1 in 4 people that you shake hands with carries it on their skin. Tricky to get rid of.

Our pediatrician said that he feels it has a lot to do with chemicals/antibiotics they give to animals. When we consume them, we develop tolerances to the antibiotics, thus, staph infections become resistant to common antibiotics....

Here's to you hey moe, you'll pull through....

-witt

OBIO
December 23rd, 2009, 11:18
There are many strains of MRSA. The worst by far are the strains that people contract while in hospital settings...those strains are the oldest and most resistant strains. A couple of them are totally resistant to every known antibiotic.

Then there are the newer strains that are being called Societal Strains, or something along those lines. These strains are the ones that are being spread outside of hospital settings. These strains are younger and there are antibiotics that can still counter them...for now. As these strains mature and mutate even more, they too will become more and more resistant to more and more antibiotics.

The over use of antibiotics in all levels of our lives are the reason we now face a swarm of resistant bacteria (and viruses....there are already strains of the H1N1 virus that have mutated to be resistant to some anti-viral agents). Antibiotic dish soap, antibiotic hand soap, anti-biotic toilet paper. Sure Lysol kills 99% of bacteria on contact....but the 1% that doesn't die simply becomes stronger and more resistant.

Antibiotic use should be scaled back greatly and reserved for those times when it is absolutely needed..and not used to "sterilize" your hands 15 times a day. A good hand washing with plenty of soap, water and scrubbing will remove 99% of the germs on your hands....and will not result in the development of antibiotic strains of bacteria.

OBIO

Lionheart
December 23rd, 2009, 12:00
Man, that is scary stuff.

What about in 10 years or even 100 years..

Bill

cheezyflier
December 23rd, 2009, 12:09
a freind of mine just lost a toe because of it. i talked to his daughter just last night. it's scary, but this is nothin compared to what's comin

FAC257
December 23rd, 2009, 12:16
One of my favorite couples in the area is at the end stage of a battle with an infection that they believe was contracted while in the hospital.

The husband went in for a simple hernia operation.

Somehow he contracted a staff infection of some sort which eventually left him in a comatose state a few weeks ago.

His wife has already been told that there is no chance that he will pull out of it. His internal organs are already shutting down, but she refuses to pull the plug until they can convince her that there is no brain activity.

FAC

Bjoern
December 23rd, 2009, 12:20
it's scary, but this is nothin compared to what's comin

Like what, the Zombie Apocalypse?

Btw: Uh oh...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/e/ed/EARSS_MRSA_2008.gif

hubbabubba
December 23rd, 2009, 15:48
Here goes my Portugal vacations...

Bjoern
December 24th, 2009, 08:39
Here goes my Portugal vacations...

Hospital or nursing home vacations? ;)

yank51
December 30th, 2009, 16:35
Just read this article, and thought it would belong in this thread. Food for thought here in the states, where we definitely over use antibiotics.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20091230/D9CTTRA80.html

cheezyflier
December 30th, 2009, 18:43
Like what, the Zombie Apocalypse?

EXACTLY!!! :icon_lol:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/umedia/20091230/largeimage.404eb5b5d92d2234f05847881699045d.gif

Wittpilot
December 31st, 2009, 06:15
Oh did I mention on top of all that, I found out I am now allergic to Sulfa... I was on it for a week and broke out incredibly bad.... rash/ hives.... I remember taking a bath every 15 minutes and was up for the entire night.... Bad stuff...