PDA

View Full Version : Throttle setting and power...C-141

OBIO
December 21st, 2009, 22:56
Been tinkering around with and flying the freeware Alphasim C-141. Got the fuel load set to real specs, got all the lights to work, working on the payload configurations, tweaking the 2D and VC panels, putting together a paint template for the bird.

Anyhow....with the engines running and throttle pulled all the way back to zilch, the engine power gauges read at 60%. It takes just a crack of the throttle, maybe 20%, to get the power up to 80%. Another small nudge and it is at 100%....and the throttle is barely at 50% of its movement.

This makes taxiing the plane at a decent rate a bit hard, and makes Over Speeding the plane a difficult thing to avoid (it is better now that I adjusted the max speed from the rediculously low 330 knots it was originally set as to the realistic 493 knots). This allows the plane to cruise at 380 knots instead of 275 knots (at 80% power)...need to check where the thottle/power level is at for the realistic cruise speed of 440 knots.

Anyhow #2: Is this throttle vs power level realistic? If not what should it be and how can I adjust it without totally destroying the flight dynamics of this bird?

OBIO

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 17:30
Been tinkering around with and flying the freeware Alphasim C-141. Got the fuel load set to real specs, got all the lights to work, working on the payload configurations, tweaking the 2D and VC panels, putting together a paint template for the bird.

Anyhow....with the engines running and throttle pulled all the way back to zilch, the engine power gauges read at 60%. It takes just a crack of the throttle, maybe 20%, to get the power up to 80%. Another small nudge and it is at 100%....and the throttle is barely at 50% of its movement.

This makes taxiing the plane at a decent rate a bit hard, and makes Over Speeding the plane a difficult thing to avoid (it is better now that I adjusted the max speed from the rediculously low 330 knots it was originally set as to the realistic 493 knots). This allows the plane to cruise at 380 knots instead of 275 knots (at 80% power)...need to check where the thottle/power level is at for the realistic cruise speed of 440 knots.

Anyhow #2: Is this throttle vs power level realistic? If not what should it be and how can I adjust it without totally destroying the flight dynamics of this bird?

OBIO

Most GE jet engines in the military idle around 45-50%

fliger747
January 14th, 2010, 20:18
Off hand the 330 knots is probably a reasonable VMO for this aircraft as it is an indicated speed. At altitude this might work out to something like 500 kts TAS.

What sim is this for?

Cheers: T

OBIO
January 21st, 2010, 16:41
Sorry to be so late in getting back to this post:

The Alphasim C-141 is FS9.

OBIO

aeromed202
January 21st, 2010, 17:03
I just took a peek and saw that that is one I never tweaked. I can make it fly more realistically but can't help a whit with getting performance to agree with the gauges. Good luck with your efforts.
I don't know if it helps but I adjust the [TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain=0.002 value to get better RPM response. Don't know if this shows up as RPM gauge or not.