PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on choosing between fourth monitor and track ir

DB93
December 21st, 2009, 21:26
Hi all,

Well I've gotten some money for Christmas, and I'm trying to decide between buying myself either a small monitor for gauges/2d panels/gps, or a track ir system (which I figure would eliminate the need for another monitor) for my FSX system. I'm running a triple monitor setup right now on a TH2G through an nVidia 9800 GT 1GB video card (so it's got a free dvi port). I've been looking at small monitors (less than 12") and found a couple that could work (for example, a Coby 12" that's also a tv for $100), and a couple of touchscreens like the liliput 7 - 9 inch models (though it sounds like those can be blurry at the supposedly higher supported resolutions.) Of course, the cost of the small touchscreens can be in the $200+ range, and for less than that I can get a track ir system. Anyhow, I'm looking for opinions on whether to go with a fourth small monitor for the gauges, or if I should go for the track ir system. Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance,

-George <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1685732-->

spotlope
December 21st, 2009, 21:33
As a TrackIR user for the past five years, I can tell you that I couldn't fly without it. In my book, it's absolutely essential for enjoying the FS experience. No question in my mind: get that TIR!

DB93
December 21st, 2009, 21:44
Thanks for the information, I appreciate the response. :) At their website, I notice there's a $50 difference between TIR4 ($119.95) and 5 ($169.95 after the discount they're offering on their website.) Do you (or anyone else) know if the difference between 4 and 5 is worth the $50 difference, or is that $50 best saved for other FS stuff (like new planes hehe)?

spotlope
December 21st, 2009, 22:04
I have no idea. I skipped from a TrackIR 3 to a TIR 5. No complaints about the 5, but I'm not sure of the difference between it and the previous version.

Kiwikat
December 21st, 2009, 22:05
Track IR

Hope that helps. :engel016:

MarkH
December 21st, 2009, 22:52
Track-IR!

DB93
December 21st, 2009, 23:46
Thanks for the replies all.

If I do decide to go for the Track IR 5, is it worth getting the pack with the TrackClip Pro, or is the regular TrackClip that the base model comes with good enough?

Thanks again,
-George

spotlope
December 21st, 2009, 23:48
I like the TrackClip Pro because I can just attach it to my headset. No need to wear a hat or anything, and I never fly without the headset anyway. Of course, it does look like I can pick up FM when I'm wearing it, so I have to be careful to fly only when there's no one else home. ;)

harleyman
December 22nd, 2009, 03:44
I have been researching the TracIR 5 too...Here is what I have found ..

The new 5 series has a few more degrees pan to it over the older ones..

The extra clip will attatch to your headset, as mentioned above, making the need for a ball cap not necessary...

dswo
December 22nd, 2009, 04:46
If you fly from the VC, this is easy: get TrackIR. I have ver. 3, so can't help with 4/5 decision.

jmig
December 22nd, 2009, 05:20
I have both the Track IR-4 and a cockpit with add-on gauges showing on separate monitors. The gauges I use are created and sent to the cockpit from a second computer through a program called FsXPand.

If you fly with the VC, you will have to create 2D panels with the gauges you want. If the aircraft developer has given you a 2D cockpit, you will find it way to small to be useful on your small monitor.

Unless, you are willing to start dealing with complex hardware/software on top of FSX, Track IR is the way to go. I use TR-4 with the clip on reflectors on a visor. I find it to be extremely well behaved. I see no need to go to a TR-5. I haven't even upgraded my software to Ver. 5.

2Low
December 22nd, 2009, 05:38
I have the TrackIR 5, never tried the earlier versions. I can say it is excellent and works very well with the included hat clip. I figured I'd try the hat clip before spending more on the Pro clip and never felt the need to spend more, it tracks very well.

DB93
December 22nd, 2009, 08:11
Thanks for all the replies. It definitely seems like TrackIR would be the way for me to go. :) I'm still trying to decide between getting the one with the trackclip pro or the regular version. I wear a baseball hat regularly, so the reflectors wouldn't bother me, but can the trackclip pro only be attached to a headset, or can that also be used with a baseball hat (I don't usually wear a headset, and the one I have has... well very 'thick' arms that hold the headphones and mic.) So if the trackclip pro only attaches to headsets, I might be better off with the regular version.

Thanks again for all the information everyone, it's been very, very helpful to me. :)

-George

spotlope
December 22nd, 2009, 08:24
It sounds like you'd be best off with a TIR4 and the regular hat clip.

Daveroo
December 22nd, 2009, 09:05
i have the trackIR4 with the hat clip and i am using the trackIR5 software...works fine and it was there idea to do..says it on the email i got from them to update to the trackIR5 software....i would buy the track4 and update the software.???

MarkH
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10
TrackClip Pro, or is the regular TrackClip that the base model comes with good enough?
The clip works fine and you don't have the pain of extra wires and contriving some way to attach it to your head if you don't use a headset. The clip is vulnerable to bright IR source such as lamps or windows in its line of sight, but in a moderately-darkened room it is rock solid.

DB93
December 22nd, 2009, 09:21
The clip is vulnerable to bright IR source such as lamps or windows in its line of sight, but in a moderately-darkened room it is rock solid.
Thanks, that's *very* valuable information to me. I have a corner desk in a room facing west, and there's literally a big window on either side of it. It stays pretty darkish in there in the morning, when the sun is behind the house, but for most of the afternoon through sunset, it stays pretty bright in there. I hadn't previously considered sunlight reflecting off the clip as something that could interfere with anything, but knowing that makes me consider the trackclip pro more seriously. I'm guessing that since it's powered, there shouldn't be any issues with reflections of other light sources like the sun?

DB93
December 22nd, 2009, 22:45
Well, I just pulled the trigger on TrackIR 5 with the TrackClip Pro. Thanks for all the help and information folks. Now I just have to wait for it to get here. Here's hoping it makes it before the New Year. :)

-George

OBIO
December 22nd, 2009, 23:27
DB

I think that you will quickly feel that you made the right decision in getting the Track IR set up. The owner of my fave pizza joint loaned me his Track IR4 system for a month....it took a few days to get used to flying with it, but once I did, it took my simming to a whole new level of enjoyment and realism. After the month was up, I took the system back to him and he told me I could keep it longer...but I refused, because in all honesty...if I had kept it any longer I would have gotten very tempted to move to another state and take it with me LOL.

OBIO