PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Holiday Exercise (RTWR-style)

srgalahad
December 21st, 2009, 13:11
Here's a little exercise to give you something to do over the holiday. It can be run on your own time, online or not, without scoring, penalties or oversight. Duenna should be used to simulate racing conditions but results need not be posted in the forum. Should you wish to brag or whine about the trip a summary post can be made after you complete the trip ( and intervening events, crashes or laptop-induced overflights) listing the legs, types flown and times.

Long periods of boredom - punctuated by moments of stark Terror!

As part of the RTW race may require one (or more) long "corridor" flights, this exercise is designed to test your aircraft selection and handling, ability to endure the boredom of a long over-water flight and the tension of it ending in a less-than-perfect airport. It is a four part exercise: 1) the long, tedious trip out; 2) a potentially dangerous short "shuttle" flight; and 3) a long finishing run to a modern, full-service airport.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

The Mission:
You are hired to fly a scientific research team, who want to be home for New Year's Eve, from Seymour in the Galapagos Islands (SEGS) (6 pax) to the Marine Biological Research Station at Isla Maria Madre (MM1H), pick up four more scientists and then fly to Tepic, MX (MMEP) (10 pax) and then return to the Aquarium at Monterrey, CA (MKRY) with unique specimens of marine life. Because of the sensitive nature of the specimens, legs must be flown non-stop.

The Aircraft:
Departing SEGS the aircraft must conform to the RTWR rule regarding:
Aircraft Eligibility in Corridor Flights
We wish to clarify (and liberalize) the rule on aircraft eligibility for the long Corridor flights of over 1,500 nm. Pilots may choose any subsonic airliner/cargo aircraft. We shall also allow military equivalents that are derived from (or very similar to) airliner/cargo aircraft. Equally, we shall allow business jets whose range and speed are realistically modeled. In any case, no such military or business jet aircraft may gain a competitive advantage over the airliner/cargo "gold standard" of the default Boeing B747-400. Of particular concern are models of military aircraft whose real world performance is classified and whose FS model performance is based on estimates. In particular, allowable aircraft include the AC-130, P-3C Orion, KC-135, Tu-95 "Bear", Gulfstream G500/V and Citation X business jet. (These are aircraft types. Suitability is subject to realistic FS modeling, of course.)

Due to budgetary restraints within the scientific community, the only aircraft available to fly the team and research specimens from Tepic to Monterrey is a piston-engined, propellor-driven transport (of your choice).

Due vigilance is a priority. Aircraft selection could be an issue and must be RTWR-eligible. Navigation can be with GPS or any other navaids available.

As I said, it's a four-part exercise... before you start, wait for the "addendum" to be posted.

Rob

PRB
December 21st, 2009, 13:44
The addendum..? This doesn't have anything to do with dangerous animals, does it? You know, all those scientists down there on some isolated island. Who knows what they're up to?

smilo
December 21st, 2009, 13:48
killer iguana

MaddogK
December 21st, 2009, 13:51
ya, 8 passengers, pilot, crewmember, and return to aquarium. I wonder what 'water' creatures we'll be transporting. Am thinking about 2 tons worth of cargo.

Kowalski65
December 21st, 2009, 14:15
Maybe whales like in Star Trek,the Voyage Home? Is there a decent freeware Klingon ship?:jump:

Incidently,some typos perhaps,FSX shows that flight as SEGS>MM40>MMEP-KMRY

Willy
December 21st, 2009, 15:15
Maybe whales like in Star Trek,the Voyage Home? Is there a decent freeware Klingon ship?:jump:

Interesting because part of that movie was filmed at the Monterey Aquarium. My ex was an extra while I was in language school at the Presidio.

KMRY is the correct ICAO for Monterey.

srgalahad
December 21st, 2009, 15:20

MM40 is an "FSX thing" but thanks for that.
and yes, MKRY should read KMRY

Hmmm.. "whales, creatures, dangerous, animals, Klingons, iguanas, water" .. all interesting thoughts. We'll just have to wait and see:wiggle:

Dangerousdave26
December 21st, 2009, 15:25
killer iguana

Iguanas taste like chicken

PRB
December 22nd, 2009, 14:03
I already made my flight plan. I called it JP1. That stands for Jurassic Park. And I'm confiscating all the shaving cream cans from those scientists before they get on the plane!

srgalahad
December 23rd, 2009, 07:23
Long periods of boredom - punctuated by moments of stark Terror! Take 2!

A few "details":

NO wild animals, dangerous sea creatures, toxic chemicals, aliens or other hazardous commodities. FSX identifiers are not provided so those on the 'dark side' have a bit more work to do .

As with any adventure such as this, obstacles are due to arise. First, the Galapagos research team of 6 are trapped at the airport at Puerto Villamil (SE0E) due to the runways being taken over by a large number of iguanas so you must fly to SE0E in a helicopter, and ferry the team to SEGS (6 pax - multiple trips may be required, depending on what helicopter you can acquire). Once assembled at SEGS you can depart for MM1H to pick up the remaining 4 scientists and cargo.

The exercise may begin any time after dawn, but the arrival on MM1H must be during the same "day" that you begin the exercise (ie. no redeye flights out of the Galapagos - the tortoises are sleeping). No, you don't have to fly it all at once, but keep to the spirit of "shuttle, depart, land during one day".

No fuel is available at MM1H (MM40) so make sure you have enough to get to the mainland.

************************************************** *******************************

The next 'interruption' in the plan occurs just prior to takeoff from MM1H (MM40) when you discover that there are 8 "scientists' waiting - four are actually heavily-armed prisoners who have escaped from the Federal Prison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islas_Mar%C3%ADas_Federal_Prison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islas_Mar%C3%ADas

They demand, at gunpoint, that you fly them to a remote strip at Penita De Jaltemba (FS9 = MX85) instead of Tepic. Of course, compliance is a good, and healthy, idea.

Upon arrival at MX85, the extra "pax" confiscate or destroy all cellphones, radios, computers and shoot out the tires of your aircraft before fleeing into the jungle, rendering it unable to depart. The Federales (Mexican Federal Police) who arrive in hot pursuit shortly afterward will allow you to use their helicopter to reach Tepic where you can pick up your chartered propliner to head home to California.

Vaya con Dios!

Note: For those who feel intimidated or destined to failure by the rotary-wing components, relief may be found in a 'liberated' :kilroy: Cessna.

If you don't make it 'home" by New Year's Eve just make sure your credit card can handle providing copious amounts of champagne on Dec. 31st.

Rob
(BTW, wasn't JP supposed to be in Costa Rica?)

MaddogK
December 23rd, 2009, 08:22
Buahahaha,

...And a Merry Friggin Christmas to you too, SrG.

Vaya con Dios indeed

smilo
December 23rd, 2009, 08:35
now, we know what Sir G was doing
while sitting on that Mexican Beach
in the cervesa fog

bpfowler
December 23rd, 2009, 15:56
what kinda visibility do you get in a cerveza fog? bikini 2pts off starboard bow, arrr.

gotta read up on me choppers.

srgalahad
December 23rd, 2009, 16:12
:confused: Well, let's see...

Can/must I change planes at MM1H? The planned leg from MM1H to Tepic is not "of corridor length" but it IS a continuation of the long leg from SEGS. There are no other aircraft at MM1H for rent, charter or to borrow. Guess you have to run what you brung.

The definition of "piston-engine, propellor-driven transport"? well, how would YOU define "transport"?

How many seats does the aircraft need to have? The charter specifies delivering 10 pax (plus at least one crew and some aircraft would need two) to Monterrey. Do you want to get paid? Passengers know how to hire lawyers.

As you can see, there are not 12 pages of rules. Some decision-making is required as is, probably, some :greenf:debate amongst the participants as to what might/should be legal.
:tgun2: :naturesm::sniper:

Don't ask me... I just wrote the story...

Rob

jkcook28
December 23rd, 2009, 16:31
Far be it from me to ask any of "those" questions! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Laughing/lol-046.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Laughing-Smileys.html)

bpfowler
December 24th, 2009, 09:43
I actually flew the fitst leg segs-> se0e last nite, but then had to go to bed and didnt submit since it appears the addendum rules state they all have to be flown in one go?

got the ch47 up and down in one piece. another triumph for science. but can I do it twice?

guess a convair 580 aint a "piston driven transport"....darnit. any reason not to use the maam-sim c47 for this ejercito? besides slowness?

brady

MaddogK
December 24th, 2009, 09:53
Me and the my legal team went over the rules this morning, and we decided we didn't have enough eggnog yet as we surmised

...ya can't return to Monterrey if ye didn't depart from Monterrey.

Me Citation X departed a couple hours ago and should be in Seymores airspace shortly.
:salute:

EasyEd
December 24th, 2009, 11:27
Hey All,

I take it the osprey is a heli? :applause: I maybe could be convinced to invest in an Alpha/Wilco/Abacus osprey/bell 609. Since I fly FS9 exclusively until I decide to actually start fiddlin with FSX - helis' are nigh onto impossible on full realism - I've only been able to get the "hang" of the air crane - can I put all them scientist types in a sling? :jump: I may take the cessna "out" and let those with FSX do the heli stuff.

-Ed-

PRB
December 24th, 2009, 12:19
... since it appears the addendum rules state they all have to be flown in one go? ...

Brady,

You can do the legs separately, as long as you keep the time "running", meaning, if you land at KXXX at 15:00, you can't take off from KXXX before 15:00, sim time. This is to make us plan the flight, i.e., take off early, it isn't dark when you have to land at that tiny airport with no runway lights.... At least, that's my take on that part of the rules.

bpfowler
December 24th, 2009, 13:30
Brady,

You can do the legs separately, as long as you keep the time "running", meaning, if you land at KXXX at 15:00, you can't take off from KXXX before 15:00, sim time. This is to make us plan the flight, i.e., take off early, it isn't dark when you have to land at that tiny airport with no runway lights.... At least, that's my take on that part of the rules.

thanks paul, I shall include my last flight as part of me race cadet progress!

cheerio
brady

srgalahad
December 24th, 2009, 15:05
Me and the my legal team went over the rules this morning, and we decided we didn't have enough eggnog yet as we surmised

...ya can't return to Monterrey if ye didn't depart from Monterrey.

Me Citation X departed a couple hours ago and should be in Seymores airspace shortly.
:salute:

I'd be thinking the legal team has been into something other than eggnog... the scientists you are to return to KMRY have been camping on a remote part of the Galapagos for the past ten months, living among seabirds, various species of land animals and reptiles, probably not with a lot of human contact and certainly without the 'amenities'.

So nice of you to send a Citation X to get them but I'm not sure how the next load of CEO's and CFO's are going to enjoy the essence.. even after fumigation. I'm quite sure the lab coats are going to enjoy tho' :icon_lol:

Rob

MaddogK
December 24th, 2009, 19:34
Dropping a jumbo-jet onto a 7k ft strip of asphalt in the middle of the ocean isn't my idea of fun, so the rental citation X filled in nicely- especially since I'm leaving it in Mexico to bring a propliner back with me. Besides with the money I saved on fuel on the way out I can buy some good Mexican 'entertainment' for the long flight back to the states.

The smell will be other peeps problems.

:P

srgalahad
January 1st, 2010, 11:35
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. the RULES!!! (or why discussions should come before actions)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=322459&postcount=14
John tries to rationalize a bomber for the last leg...

and, after the fact the debate continues about what should have been "confirmed" before the start..
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=326448&postcount=21
and

The flight out to Seymore has been completed, duenna crashed but here's a screenie of the flight analysis.

So one believed that there was a requirement to get to the Galapagos first and one saw the exercise beginning at SEGS... hmmmm...

It is a four part exercise: 1) the long, tedious trip out; 2) a potentially dangerous short "shuttle" flight; and 3) a long finishing run to a modern, full-service airport.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

The Mission:
You are hired to fly a scientific research team, who want to be home for New Year's Eve, from Seymour in the Galapagos Islands (SEGS) (6 pax) to the Marine Biological Research Station at Isla Maria Madre (MM1H), pick up four more scientists and then fly to Tepic, MX (MMEP) (10 pax) and then return to the Aquarium at Monterrey, CA (MKRY) with unique specimens of marine life.

It is a four part exercise:
Part One... making sure that everyone has the same understanding of rules, routes and resolves possible confusion. I wrote the Rules and the Addendum with deliberate gaps and ambiguous parts to see how we'd respond - in the same way that RTWR rules may seem to be contradictory at first but become clearer with full reading , or by asking the right question(s).

So, the Committee rules:
(1) although interesting, challenging and good practice, anyone who flew from KMRY to SEGS did so unnecessarily and at the risk of a) crashing, and b) 'going off on a [2782nm] tangent'.

(2) Bombers, while carrying items which may euphemistically be termed "cargo" (how PC), are not, by design "transport" aircraft and, if we were scoring this event, John's B-50 leg from MMEP to KMRY would be a no-no. (My lawyers are bigger and meaner than yours!)

It always pays to ask for confirmations of things that are so open to interpretation.

Rob

MaddogK
January 1st, 2010, 11:46
noted, good job John.

<edit> " the long, tedious trip out " , OUT being a deliberately misleading term.

I feel another 'Bear' bite.

jkcook28
January 1st, 2010, 11:51
LOL!!! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Battle/punch-2.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Battle-Smileys.html)