PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Tweak for INI

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 12:25
I am re installing FS9 and remembered that it is helpful to tweak the ini so that the mesh complexity is increased to 20 as i recall the number being. Does anyone remember where on the ini that number is? I am going to dive in for it this afternoon but wondered if anyone here remembers about this, ..with thanks for any aid in advance. :)

Dangerousdave26
December 21st, 2009, 12:29
Its the FS9.cfg file and it should be in

For XP

C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\app data\microsoft\fs9

For Vista and Windows 7

C:\Users\{User name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

I will look for my tweeks

Dangerousdave26
December 21st, 2009, 12:37
First off since its right at the top lets throw some old modules in

This will stop FS from complaining if you load up an old model that uses these .dll files

[OLDMODULES]
FSSound.dll=1
SOARRec.dll=1
adf2mod.dll=1

Now for some display stuff

Do not put the notes in <--- note

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25 <--- set as desired
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70 <--- set higher than default. almost all video cards can handle higher. I can not remember what the max was but I am a long way from it.
TextureMaxLoad=10 <--- I think this is default

Now the Terrain items

I only put the note on the one you are looking for. The rest I think are default but you can use them as reference.

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 <--- This should be the one you are looking for. I set mine to 21 per someones instructions when installing high res meshes.
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

I think that is all I changed and right now I can not find the docs I used to change these. I will look for them later.

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 12:39
fantastic, that was JUST what i needed, i am very touched .... what a wonderful community this is

thanks and merry christmas...this will get me in in time to get Santa Flying for the grandkids over my home town here in Pagosa Springs CO

and in time to fly over St Pete in FL with Free Flow to see another buddy who lives by the causeway. :

> much appreciated indeed.:ernae:

Tom Clayton
December 21st, 2009, 14:42
I recently read somewhere that 20 is a better # than 21. The rendition of mountains is nearly identical at 20, but at 21 the shadows formed by the mountains can be rendered as square blocks.

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 15:04
I recently read somewhere that 20 is a better # than 21. The rendition of mountains is nearly identical at 20, but at 21 the shadows formed by the mountains can be rendered as square blocks.

thanks Tom i will try both and see how it goes, i am going to add UTex for USA and Europe and then go from there after i tweak the INI

OBIO
December 21st, 2009, 15:46
I had my terrain thingie set at 21...and got the blocky shadows and some odd behavior, even with LOD 10 mesh. I set it at 20 and the mountains and canyons still look amazing, but the shadows look better and the occasional odd tearing of the mesh is gone.

OBIO

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 16:50
thanks OBIO that sounds like it will be 20 for sure :) much appreciate the feedbacks.:medals:

Wing_Z
December 21st, 2009, 17:05
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL is related to the mesh density you have installed.
From memory:
For 20m resolution mesh, =21
For >38m, =20
Default, =19

Dangerousdave26
December 21st, 2009, 17:39
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL is related to the mesh density you have installed.
From memory:
For 20m resolution mesh, =21
For >38m, =20
Default, =19

I think I changed that when I installed the 19M mesh for the Alps.

I have never had a problem with any strange shawdows around mountains.

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 17:48
ok, this all helps me understand how it works. I do plan to put some good mesh in, esp the mesh for the alps and the dolomites....so we will see how it goes.

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 22:14
Will the same mesh work for both FS9 and FSX? I have some that i used in FSX that might be nice to move to FS9 if they will work. I was not sure if the technical aspects of the meshes was the same. i know ...at least i think textures are a bit differnt.