PDA

View Full Version : GTX 285 - Corrupted Display

jameg
December 20th, 2009, 09:21
Hi guys, I'd really appreciate any advice.

I'm getting a corrupted display problem with my XFX GTX 285 1024mb Black Edition. When I go into a game, e.g. FSX, Race 07, or Rise of Flight, the screen will corrupt into multi coloured blocks, with a square representing the mouse pointer. I can still hear the sound of the game running in the PC. I don't think this is heat related as it has done it straight from a cold boot, and has even done it in windows without accessing an application.

I have a attached an image which hopefully makes more sense of what I'm seeing. Full PC spec below:

Intel i7 920
Gigabyte X58 GA-EX58-UD5
Corsair DDR3 1600mhz 6GB 3x240 DIMM Dominator GT
CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W
XFX GTX 285 1024mb Black Edition (drivers 195.62 + nHancer)
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dell 2405 FPW

Cheers

James

http://www.aircraftphotographer.com/forums/IMG_1672.jpg

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 12:38
Man...Thats not a pretty picture..

I would uninstall the drivers for the card....Remove the card completely, and reinstall it..

Install the drivers again , and see how it does..

If it still does the same thing, then move the video card again to another PCI E slot and see if its still the same..

If it is then you have a dead vid card....

stansdds
December 20th, 2009, 13:59
Is this the driver that came with the card or is this a newer driver installed after the first installation of the card and driver?

jameg
December 20th, 2009, 14:14
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Not near the PC at present but will try your suggestions.

The driver is the lastest WHQL driver downloaded from Nvidia website.

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 14:19
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Not near the PC at present but will try your suggestions.

The driver is the lastest WHQL driver downloaded from Nvidia website.

Did it all work good until this new driver???

Are you sure you got the right driver?? As in 32 or 64 bit ones ?

jameg
December 20th, 2009, 15:45
Hi harleyman, no, initially I was getting a display problem when I accessed say the map screen, or loaded another aircraft, on returning to the game the textures would either show as a black & white mess, or the aircraft would be transparent with maybe just the undercarriage showing. The problem shown above started about 3 months ago, but since then I've replaced the CPU, Board, Memory, and Hard Drive. So I'm guessing it must be the GPU or my something I've not done right in the BIOS.

I've checked the drivers and they're definitely the 64 bit version.

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 16:14
Hi harleyman, no, initially I was getting a display problem when I accessed say the map screen, or loaded another aircraft, on returning to the game the textures would either show as a black & white mess, or the aircraft would be transparent with maybe just the undercarriage showing. The problem shown above started about 3 months ago, but since then I've replaced the CPU, Board, Memory, and Hard Drive. So I'm guessing it must be the GPU or my something I've not done right in the BIOS.

I've checked the drivers and they're definitely the 64 bit version.

Its not the bios..Unless your motherboard has onboard graphics..In that case disable that feature

The other problem you describe with your aircraft displaying funny sounds like its a port over problem, or your planes are say FSX SP2 only..Or FSX SP1 only..

Or setting bufferpools can cause that oddity too..Drop that for now if you set a bufferpool

Is your screen now just staying totally corrupted???? In Windows and games???

Do you have another vid vard to test with?

Wombat_VC
December 21st, 2009, 00:20
Looks like hardware related. Most likely your card is gone. Your symptoms point to problem occurring when it switches to 3D mode or heated-up. I have experienced similar symptoms before, after I over-overclock my cards for too long.

dharris
December 21st, 2009, 12:09
Agree with Wombat_VC... My evga 260 would overheat about 2minutes into fsx every time. Even with the fan on high. I rma'd it got back a good one and everything works fine now.

harleyman
December 21st, 2009, 14:34
Guys...Read what he said...

it has done it straight from a cold boot, and has even done it in windows without accessing an application.

That is probably not heat related..but straight outright failure....

Wombat_VC
December 21st, 2009, 17:30
Guys...Read what he said...

it has done it straight from a cold boot, and has even done it in windows without accessing an application.

That is probably not heat related..but straight outright failure....

Yes, I got that part. Once a card is cooked previously, it will become unstable even when cold. One of my two not so old 9600GT's did that to me. My case airflow was sub-optimal and I live in a tropical climate. My quest of squeezing max performance from the cards gradually resulted in failure to even cold boot. (Login screen became garbage.)

James might not have overclocked his card but the manufacturer did.

jameg
December 29th, 2009, 09:39
Thanks for all your help. XFX have come back and told me that they think the card is faulty as temps are well within tolerances, but I have to return it to the reseller, so we'll see what happens there!

I have coupled it up with another display, a 20" Dell running at 1680 x 1050, and it seems more stable but I have still had the same issues but not as often.

Cheers

James

harleyman
December 29th, 2009, 10:11
Yes, I got that part. Once a card is cooked previously, it will become unstable even when cold. One of my two not so old 9600GT's did that to me. My case airflow was sub-optimal and I live in a tropical climate. My quest of squeezing max performance from the cards gradually resulted in failure to even cold boot. (Login screen became garbage.)

James might not have overclocked his card but the manufacturer did.

Sory...I got you now...I read backwards sometimes..

You are correct..thanks for clairfying that ...