PDA

View Full Version : FSX Triple Wide 2D Panel Fixes

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 07:01
Hi all,

I originally posted this up in the Guides section, because I was originally just passing on the information on how to apply the fixes for yourself. I've since made a couple of .zip files that contain updated versions of the fixed panel files that I've now made available for download, so I figured I'd post it down here.

Some users of TH2G and ATI EyeFinity experience an issue with 2d panel stretching in FSX. Typically, the main panel window(s) won't display, and when you try to bring them up, you instead get a 'wait' cursor and the panel never displays. I've updated the panels for use with triple-wide displays, so that the main panel(s) will properly display, and I have also tried to take maximum advantage of triple-wide resolutions in the placement and size of all other panel windows.

These updated panels are now available for download here at Sim-Outhouse, as well as the other popular websites like avsim and flightsim.com. Updated panels are available in the following packages:

Default AC - This package has updated panel.cfg files for all FSX default aircraft, including the ones from Acceleration. This includes the helicopters.

Quest Kodiak - This package contains updated panel.cfg files for the Quest Kodiak by Lionheart Creations. This covers both wheeled and amphibious versions.

Whittman Tailwind - This package contains updated panel.cfg files for the Whittman Tailwind by Lionheart Creations. This covers all three versions, W8, W10 and W10 Trigear.

I hope that these files are useful to other users of triple-wide resolutions offered by the TH2G and ATI EyeFinity solutions. Do not use these files if you are running single or dual monitor configurations. These files are updated for triple-wide resolutions only.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays,

-George

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 08:32
Thanks for that George! Funny, I have thought about building a simpit setup with multiple screens, but just realized, would I have to start using 2D panels if I did?

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 10:36
Hi Michael,

I always fly vc if available, so I'd say no, you don't have to fly with 2d panels. I know that the instruments on the Carenado 182Q vc are so clear and easy to read, that I never have to open any 2d panels (except for the gps). But in most aircraft, I like to open up panel windows for a quick reference, in order to make them easier for me to read. When I got my triplehead2go, I couldn't open the main panel window anymore or that's when the problems would start for me. The main panel wouldn't open, the cursor would turn into a 'wait' spinning circle, and my framerate would tank. Nothing short of saving the flight and restarting it would make the problem go away.

Initially I only fixed the main panels on the planes I flew regularly, as I was only fixing them for myself. Many months later, I came across a user that needed some assistance with (what sounded to me) this same issue over at the widescreengamingforum. After helping him get on the right track for fixing the planes for himself, I began working on other aircraft that I hadn't done. With a little incentive from John Bentley over on those forums, I also wound up adjusting (resizing and repositioning) all panel windows from all the aircraft I have (both default and third-party). These were all done at the panel.cfg level, so that the sizes and positions are the defaults for each aircraft, instead of having to rely on loading a saved flight to prevent the main panel issue (which is really the most important part of my updated panels).

The other day, I provided some assistance to a user with these types of issues on his EyeFinity setup on another forum, and as a result, I got a number of pm's requesting the files. I emailed them to those that had requested them, and the only emails I got back were from folks thanking me that the issue was fixed for them, which confirmed for me that these fixes could help a number of folks. That's when I decided to pack them all up and make them available to anyone they may help.

I know the triplewide user base probably isn't a huge number of people, but I'd guess that number will only continue to rise with ATI EyeFinity giving a more affordable option into the triple monitor arena than TripleHead2Go. So who knows, a year or more down the road, these updated panels *could* be useful to a good number of people. :)

I'll tell you this, though, once you start flying with three screens, it's impossible to go back to one. :)

Edited to add: One other thing I wanted to mention - The 'fix' as applied here, causes the main panel to open up only one screenwidth wide, so it's not ideal for flying 2d only, however there's no way to stretch the main panel window to be three screens wide without causing the 'wait' cursor issue to crop back up for users that experienced it in the first place.

-George

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 11:03
Thanks for the info George, much appreciated and good to know I can still use the VC with 3 panels. Do you do other PC tasks with the 3 panels, or are they turned off when not in FS?

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 11:56
I actually find myself using all three whether or not I'm in FS. The TH2G has a bezel management feature, which 'pushes' the images from the left-most and right-most monitors in towards the middle monitor 'under' the bezels. I'll put it in that mode before simming, which prevents the 'split image' caused by the spacing of the images due to the bezels from occuring. So I press my hotkey to turn that on before I sim, then turn it off when I'm out of FS, so that the screens just work as a regular windows desktop that just happens to be three monitors wide. When I was editing the panel.cfg files for example, I had the file I was working on opened in the center monitor, the SDK reference open in the right screen, and media player and internet explorer open in the left screen. :)

uniform7
April 30th, 2014, 08:03
Hi all,

I originally posted this up in the Guides section, because I was originally just passing on the information on how to apply the fixes for yourself. I've since made a couple of .zip files that contain updated versions of the fixed panel files that I've now made available for download, so I figured I'd post it down here.

Some users of TH2G and ATI EyeFinity experience an issue with 2d panel stretching in FSX. Typically, the main panel window(s) won't display, and when you try to bring them up, you instead get a 'wait' cursor and the panel never displays. I've updated the panels for use with triple-wide displays, so that the main panel(s) will properly display, and I have also tried to take maximum advantage of triple-wide resolutions in the placement and size of all other panel windows.

These updated panels are now available for download here at Sim-Outhouse, as well as the other popular websites like avsim and flightsim.com. Updated panels are available in the following packages:

Default AC - This package has updated panel.cfg files for all FSX default aircraft, including the ones from Acceleration. This includes the helicopters.

Quest Kodiak - This package contains updated panel.cfg files for the Quest Kodiak by Lionheart Creations. This covers both wheeled and amphibious versions.

Whittman Tailwind - This package contains updated panel.cfg files for the Whittman Tailwind by Lionheart Creations. This covers all three versions, W8, W10 and W10 Trigear.

I hope that these files are useful to other users of triple-wide resolutions offered by the TH2G and ATI EyeFinity solutions. Do not use these files if you are running single or dual monitor configurations. These files are updated for triple-wide resolutions only.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays,

-George

I know it's an old thread but I am having trouble making the default cessna 172 work. Everbody else works including third party. What am I missing? If any.