PDA

View Full Version : Where are the pics of the snow??

crashaz
December 19th, 2009, 20:42
Ok all you Mid-Atlantic members... what does a blizzard look like?? :wavey:

Marlin
December 19th, 2009, 20:53
Ya, is there anybody from Valdez here?
I want to see what your five feet of snow looks like. :salute::jump::salute:

Craig Taylor
December 19th, 2009, 20:55
I'm too tired from shoveling to connect my camera to my PC to upload the pictures. Maybe tomorrow...

To be honest, this storm only ranks sixth in all-time storms in the DC area. I've seen worse...

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 02:25
Ours was sleet and snow, not good, about 8 inches of accumulated mess. Trees to clean up after the thaw. None on the house, tap wood, still have power, better than a lot of NC residents just south of me. So shucks, I'm playing with the kids, seeing that the birds and "fat" squirrel get fed. Doing a little shoveling, but only my deck, Ice and snow together ain't easy to shovel. Got my Town & Country out to the main road and back, no problems there should I need it. Must shovel some snow at the end of the driveway where the snowplow banked up.

I posted some from here the last few days. It is not pretty.

Caz

My future C9G

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/tree_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/tree_2.jpg

TomSteber
December 20th, 2009, 03:24
Wow, your shots look very peacful. When you don't have to be anywhere, winter sure is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.

Cloud9Gal
December 20th, 2009, 04:35
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s2748.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

I posted mine in Cazzie's thread but here they are:

jmig
December 20th, 2009, 04:44
Cazzie, C9G, I love the pictures of the snow. Can I come over an play?

:jump: Please, please :jump:

Cloud9Gal
December 20th, 2009, 04:51
Cazzie, C9G, I love the pictures of the snow. Can I come over an play?

:jump: Please, please :jump:

Come on over! Pick up Caz on your way through...

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s2223.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 05:33
If it weren't uphill to C9G's place John, we could sled there. :icon_lol:

In fact I do plan to go sledding with the boys after breakfast.

Caz

Snuffy
December 20th, 2009, 07:34
Drat ... 60 damn degrees here ...

Doesn't look anything like those.

Chacha
December 20th, 2009, 07:54
Drat ... 60 damn degrees here ...

Doesn't look anything like those.

Right now is 51ºF in Orlando....

Our coldest tonight so far will be at 39ºF..... Brrrr.... :isadizzy:

Ted,

You miss the snow? :monkies:

.. I do... in summer! :icon_lol:

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 09:13
Okay, I went out sledding with my two boys, three nieces, and a nephew.

For Ariana (Nan-ah) and Zane, this is their first snow to play in. Zane is two and it was a little much for him, but Nana has been grinning like a mule eating briars since minute one.

Me, well I went out trying to find my youth and darn near lost my old age!:icon_lol:

I was going real good on my sled with runners when it all of a sudden dug in and I went flying. Wrenched my left shoulder, but it's felling better. Just what my wife needs, a husband with another torn rotator cuff.

Caz

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/zane_nana_eden_budbud.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/cakey_nana1.jpg

Toastmaker
December 20th, 2009, 10:09
Snuffy, I've told you elsewhere that I would trade places with you (in Florida) anytime !!

Like Craig Taylor, who lives very close to me, apparantly (I'm in Prince George's Co., Md.) I just came in from a neighborhood effort to dig our cars and driveways out from under 20" of this CRAP !

It's not fun, it's not pretty and it's NOT NECESSARY ! It's bad for humans! - WE HAVE NO FUR. . . haven't you snow-lovers noticed ???

:running:

CG_1976
December 20th, 2009, 10:15
Snuffy, I've told you elsewhere that I would trade places with you (in Florida) anytime !!

Like Craig Taylor, who lives very close to me, apparantly (I'm in Prince George's Co., Md.) I just came in from a neighborhood effort to dig our cars and driveways out from under 20" of this CRAP !

It's not fun, it's not pretty and it's NOT NECESSARY ! It's bad for humans! - WE HAVE NO FUR. . . haven't you snow-lovers noticed ???

Snow is fun and full of pleasure:running:. Oh just replace the shovel with a snow blower, makes it easier on the back. Ski's and snow shoes help if you need to get to work and the car is piled in.

Toastmaker
December 20th, 2009, 10:24
Snow is fun and full of pleasure:running:. Oh just replace the shovel with a snow blower, makes it easier on the back. Ski's and snow shoes help if you need to get to work and the car is piled in.

1. Where and when does the fun arrive and the pleasure begin?

2. Snow-blowers are expensive and noisy

3. Not gonna walk (or "ski") 19 miles to work.

Anything else ?

:icon_lol:

Cloud9Gal
December 20th, 2009, 10:27
Caz~ Nice family you have! http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11957.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

You are very much blessed Sir! Little Zane is a CUTIE pie! All kids are adorable! I always enjoy seeing pictures of children. They are such a breath of fresh air!

Toasty? Snow is wonderful, magical even! I love my 4 seasons, I would not trade them for the world.
Come visit and we'll have a snowball fight! Promise not to hurt you.....too much!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s1310.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 10:58

Then why live there, just curious?
When I retire or get a job that doesn't involve a trek to work, I plan on moving to where there is some snow, TX is just to hot for my tastes, but I know what a pain it is here when I do have to de-ice the car, so I have no desire to do that every morning further north. In my mind, it just isn't Xmas without snow.

Great pics all, wish I was there.

Kofschip
December 20th, 2009, 11:11
First of all, please consider that SNOW is a four letter word. As far as the blizzard is concerned, this is what it looks like:

Got it? A total white out.:bump:

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 13:08
Love the pics...Hope the old shoulder gets well fast...

Some days just getting out of bed pulls a mussle on me...LOL

Nothing like a fresh snow to cleanse the spirit I say..

Even without snow kids live is a wonderland...

I am jelous of them for that :applause:

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 13:30
Caz~ Nice family you have! http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11957.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

You are very much blessed Sir! Little Zane is a CUTIE pie! All kids are adorable! I always enjoy seeing pictures of children. They are such a breath of fresh air!

Toasty? Snow is wonderful, magical even! I love my 4 seasons, I would not trade them for the world.
Come visit and we'll have a snowball fight! Promise not to hurt you.....too much!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s1310.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

I'll have you know that before I had to have rotator cuff surgery on my right arm, I could pop a butt at 30 paces. :icon_lol:

This snow we have is not good for snowball fights, too much ice mixed in, the snowballs will hurt and possibly cut. You need a good old wet snow for snowball fights. Oh, that brings back fond memories of when we use to attack the ROTC dorms at Va. Tech and just have a massive snowball fight, all in good humor, go and have a brew afterwards.

Zane and Nanna have a Pakistani father and are Muslim, the other three are by another father and Christian. Don't know how that is going to work out in the future. The two oldest girls, Michaela and Eden, are like my own, my wife and I practically raised them in their formative years, as their mother was undergoing a bad time with drugs (crack). Fortunately, she saw the light and went into rehab. She has been drug free for going on eight years now, tap wood.

But I love those two oldest girls like my own, would have adopted both had the situation called for it. Eden is my love, she's the outdoors girl, loves nature and taking hikes. Loves creatures, insects, snakes, anything. She and I go pond gathering to find small one-cell animalcules to look at under the microscope. She's only 11, but already wants to major in Biology or Forestry.

She took this shot of an amobae last summer during one such pond survey using my Wolfe microscope and Pentax istDL on a T-mount (camera body only). 20-Watt Halogen illumination, iris at 1.4 stop, 400X, 1/60-sec. exposure.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/amoeba.jpg

It won her a first place im her 6th grade class's science project.

Caz

TARPSBird
December 20th, 2009, 13:33
Caz is out by Danville, VA. What they get as snow, we here in Tidewater usually get as cold rain or sleet and that was on the menu yesterday. Last night it got cold enough for some snow flurries, most of it was melted off by noon. Snowfall here is not a good thing. Just 2 inches or so and the whole area is paralyzed. Fender-benders all over the place, jack-knifed semis, SUV's in ditches, etc. etc. all because nobody knows how to drive safely in snow/ice conditions. :mad:

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 13:36
Now this is how I like my snow... in pictures lol. Being from Boston originally, I'm more than happy to not have to dig out my car or freeze my cookies off now that I live in Florida lol. I'm glad that those of you who enjoy snow have got it, but I sympathize with those who can't stand it. :)

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 13:41
Caz is out by Danville, VA. What they get as snow, we here in Tidewater usually get as cold rain or sleet and that was on the menu yesterday. Last night it got cold enough for some snow flurries, most of it was melted off by noon. Snowfall here is not a good thing. Just 2 inches or so and the whole area is paralyzed. Fender-benders all over the place, jack-knifed semis, SUV's in ditches, etc. etc. all because nobody knows how to drive safely in snow/ice conditions. :mad:

Nay Hark Tarps, we usually get ice and lots of it, snow boundary is the western edge of Pittsylvania County and north of White Oak Mountains. Conditions have to be perfect for Danville to get snow (temps at 28 - 32 degrees, anything colder and we get ice, anything warmer, we get rain; we are always borderline. Sleet and freezing rain (what we normally get) mixed with the snow Friday night and Saturday morning making travel almost non-existant. But we do not get snow as a rule, onlt tree breaking freezing rain that cuts your power for anywhere from two days to a week.

The kids and I have had a blast in it today. Temps got up to 45 and the snow/ice mix has softened enough for a snowman, mom is out with the kids now building one. We have to make the most of a good snow, we may not likely get another one for 10 years.

Caz

stansdds
December 20th, 2009, 14:13
The snow here was compacted by a lot of sleet and rain, then back to snow. It's just a slick mess now. Main roads are good, side streets not as good, driveways... they'll eventually thaw.

TARPSBird
December 20th, 2009, 15:02
Nay Hark Tarps, we usually get ice and lots of it, snow boundary is the western edge of Pittsylvania County and north of White Oak Mountains.
Caz
I stand corrected, Caz. So you usually have all the same crazy driver stuff as we do. :d

GT182
December 20th, 2009, 15:19
We ended up with about 20"s here in my area of Delaware. My photo doesn't do it justice to what we ened up with... it's a mid morning shot form Saturday. Saturday night I had 3 feet of snow on the car from it drifting over the roof of the house... what a mess that was. Saturday night when I cleaned out my driveway, snow was up to the windows of the car..... on both sides. And you could barely make out where the frontend ended.

I didn't get any photos today cause I was out makin a few bucks with the snowblower. Did 10 driveways at 20 bucks a pop. Some were so happy they even thru in an extra 10 spot. Bring on more snow.... daddy needs new tires for the GTO, and some bucks to send to Ickie too.

Craig Taylor
December 20th, 2009, 18:28
The wife and I drove over to Amissville this afternoon to visit with the in-laws. The roads were very passable, but slushy in places. Some of the smaller county roads were actually better than the main highways (by "main" I'm referring to state or U.S. routes, not interstates).

We got back earlier this evening to find that the $#%@& plow driver had eliminated all the hard work I had put in to clear my driveway with one sweep of the blade. Damn, I wish those guys could be a little more considerate.

Anyway, here are some of the pics I took. The second picture is from the kitchen, looking out the door at my Weber grill. I think there was about 2 feet of snow out there. I shoveled it a little later. It was up to my knees.

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 18:38
Wow, Craig, the snow in your images would close down all of Dallas if we had it, LOL

Craig Taylor
December 20th, 2009, 19:09
Wow, Craig, the snow in your images would close down all of Dallas if we had it, LOL

What's funny about all this is that the DC area will close up with just the threat of snow. This was overkill! I'm dreading what the rest of winter might be like.

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 20:00
What's funny about all this is that the DC area will close up with just the threat of snow. This was overkill! I'm dreading what the rest of winter might be like.

You all got pounded there.....

Nice pics......

I had a plow when i lived in PA in the mountains..Its a shame that you just can't stop and be polite to every driveway on your route..if you did you might plow two miles in a night..

That would leave the rest of the roads in a very dangerous position for all others....

Craig Taylor
December 20th, 2009, 20:46
You all got pounded there.....

..Its a shame that you just can't stop and be polite to every driveway on your route..if you did you might plow two miles in a night..

That would leave the rest of the roads in a very dangerous position for all others....

Hey, I recognize that plow drivers have a job to do. Those county and state folks have my deepest appreciation. This is a private contractor hired by our HOA. I just wish he would've been just a little more careful where he plowed the excess snow. He came through this morning and plowed a lane, and then didn't return to 'finish' the job until about 7pm. So everyone's hard work to shovel their driveways this morning or afternoon was wasted. I'm sure a lot of folks needed to be done with that today so they can go to work tomorrow without having to shovel a few hundred pounds of snow first thing in the morning.

My next-door neighbor left this afternoon to pick up his mother-in-law at Dulles, who flew in from Germany to spend the holidays with them. They returned from the airport around 11pm. Guess what they had to do before they could park...

I realize there's so much of the stuff that there is nowhere to put it, but we all have to hang together to make it work.

OK, rant off. :pop4:

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 23:09
Point well taken...

As a private contractor that should have been his first priority...Thats the type of plowing I did..A few small stores and most driveways on my county road... I did not have to do it, just happened to buy a winter truck living there and it had a power tilt plow included, so I went out and got some work for it to do..It was my way to play in the snow after work..LOL

I have had that done to me too, and yes its very frustrating, not to mention that the thrown snow is wetter, heavier, and nasty...

Snuffy
December 21st, 2009, 03:23
Back when I was a kid and living in the snow belt of New York State, just south of Buffalo, there was an article in the Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics magazines Dad use to get ...

The tip was how to beat the snow plow from filling your driveway after you took the time to shovel it.

The trick was to shovel a cut back counter to the direction of the plow. This was designed to allow for the greater amount of snow from the plow to accumulate in that gap prior to your driveway thus reducing the amount that would be pushed back into your cleaned drive.

I tried it a couple times but never saw where it really did much good. Besides, it was a group of extra shoveling that I didn't feel, at the time, was necessary. It was always easier to just get a good running start and barrel through the drift put there by the plow.

:bump:

GT182
December 21st, 2009, 05:02
When I was up in Northern NY, I always waited until the plow went by my driveway..... then I cleaned it out. Yeah, I might be late to get where I had to be, but at least I didn't have to get the snowblower out twice. ;) Tho most times he came by early in the morning. And if the roads were that bad, I stayed home unless it was an absolute necessity to get out.

What seems funny to me is schools closing down for a few inches of snow. We went to school in some pretty bad storms. I can remember heading out to catch the bus with snow half way up my legs and the roads not even plowed. When they couldn't get the busses out of the bus garage then they cancelled school. But here in the "south" they aren't equipped to handle a storm, especially like we had this past Saturday.

p14u2nv
December 21st, 2009, 09:50
...hope this qualifies as a snow pics...sort of!

Skier Suffers Exposure

Man left dangling upside down, pantsless after Vail lift mishap

JANUARY 6, 2009--In a bizarre incident that will surely lead to litigation (or an out-of-court settlement), a skier at Colorado's ritzy Vail resort was left dangling upside down and pantsless from a chairlift last Thursday morning. The January 1 mishap apparently occurred after the male skier, 48, and a child boarded a high-speed lift in Vail's Blue Sky Basin. It appears that the chairlift's fold-down seat was somehow not in the lowered position, which caused the man to partially fall through the resulting gap. His right ski got jammed in the ascending chairlift, and that kept him upended since his boot never dislodged from its binding. As seen in the photos (which were snapped by fellow skiers), the Skyline Express lift was stopped shortly after the pair's botched boarding resulted in the man dangling from the lift. The exposed skier was stuck for about 15 minutes before Vail personnel backed the lift up and successfully dislodged the unidentified man from the four-seat chair. In a statement released this afternoon, Vail Resorts, which operates the ski area, reported that the skier was not injured after being "suspended for approximately seven minutes." The press release did not explain how the mishap occurred, only that "the man was caught on the chair."

http://theupstatenewyorksnowboarder.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/skier-exposure-vail.jpg?w=468&h=686

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0106091vail3.jpg

Can you imagine? And with kids around too! Sure hope this doesn't violate any decency rules here, delete post if so...

Toastmaker
December 21st, 2009, 10:09
Aw, man - don't you just hate it when your pants fall off at the most inopportune time !!

I mean, he had a chance for some sympathy love - but NOT ANYMORE with those wobbly buns dragging around !

:kilroy:

GT182
December 21st, 2009, 10:27
Now that'll freeze yer Willy.