PDA

View Full Version : For Chacha

Cloud9Gal
December 19th, 2009, 13:11
LOL! I could not resist Chacha...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You sure you want a parrot! This little fella is very articulate, not to mention highly intelligent. Cute as a button he is!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

NdhlPHEIkss&feature=youtube_gdata

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 13:24
I might have to make some parrothead soup if I had that bird! :icon_lol:

I prefer this one:

xNa4MG2dBKo

Bjoern
December 19th, 2009, 13:43
The video made me curious, so I asked Wikipedia about parrots. What I found was deeply fascinating.

Alex understood the turn-taking of communication and often the syntax used in language. He called an apple a "banerry," which Pepperberg thought to be a combination of "banana" and "cherry," two fruits he was more familiar with.<sup id="cite_ref-wise107_13-1" class="reference">[/URL]</sup><sup> </sup>Alex could even add, to a limited extent, correctly giving the number of like objects on a tray. Pepperberg said that if he couldn't count, the data could be interpreted as him being able to quickly and accurately estimate the number of something, better than humans can.[...]
This suggests that parrots, like children, get bored. Sometimes, Alex purposely answered the questions wrong, despite knowing the correct answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_%28parrot%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_%28parrot%29#cite_note-wise107-13)

According to news reports and websites,<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference"></sup>as of January 2004, N'kisi had a vocabulary of about 950 words and used them in context, frequently in complete sentences, has approximated verb forms to maintain the correct tense (such as saying flied when not knowing the past tense of fly), and does not depend on learned phrases to communicate his thoughts. According to these sources, N'kisi is capable of understanding photographic images, and is able to name objects (within his vocabulary) appearing in a photo. He is also said to be capable of inventing new terms for things he does not know words for. One anecdote recounted by the chimpanzee scientist Jane Goodall says that, upon meeting her in person after seeing a photo of her, N'Kisi asked, "Got a chimp?" It is claimed he demonstrates what appears to be a sense of humor.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%27kisi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%27kisi#cite_note-0)

Dear evolution, I want a talking cat. Thank you.

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 14:24
There was a program recently on PBS's NOVA series that dealt with animals communication.

It turns out that birds are the only species other than the nhuman species that have a portion of their brain specifically evolved for communication with each other. So birds really do speak to each other.

Not only parrots can mock other vocals and noises, we all know myna birds, cockatils, and parakettes can also mock. But did you know ravens and crows and even jays can also to an extinct.

When I was 11-years old, I found a baby crow on the ground and brought it home and made a pet of it. Smut lived with us for 11 years. he could laugh and cough so much like a human, you'd think one was present. he was a thief though, anything bright and shiny had better be put somewhere safe or it would wind up in his stash behind the fridge. He was a good old bird, only bird I ever had as a pet.

Caz

Snuffy
December 19th, 2009, 15:47
Damn thing even speaks with a british accent ... :bump:

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 16:32
Damn thing even speaks with a british accent ... :bump:

Then you shouldn't keep inviting 'Enry over! :bump:

Chacha
December 19th, 2009, 16:53
Goodness,

Who teaches this bird to curse?

Now Hannah asked me what is as@#$%, mommy?

Ok, here is my answer (we looked in the dictionary)

-noun
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, related to the horse.
a stupid, foolish or stubborn person

-noun vulgar

the buttocks
the rectum

whew! that wasn't easy!

Thanks for the clips, I will make sure the parrot I get for her doesn't speak foul language or he will be dinner... (aw that's too much, humane society may get me!)

Lionheart
December 19th, 2009, 17:04
LOLOLOL....

That was hilarious.. I cant believe he knew to talk the sentences he did 'when' he did.. It goes to show you what its like if animals 'could' speak, (and do... ).

lolol... That was great. Good find, Cloud9Gal

ChaCha... Are you really sure about this???????

:kilroy:

When Alex was into his feisty moods, wound up, going off like a cannon, right in the middle of Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I would have to wheel his cage (with him in it) out into the back yard or into a back bedroom..

They can be VERY loud.. .

Bill

Terry
December 20th, 2009, 02:16
Goodness,

Who teaches this bird to curse?

Now Hannah asked me what is as@#$%, mommy?

Ok, here is my answer (we looked in the dictionary)

-noun
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, related to the horse.
a stupid, foolish or stubborn person

-noun vulgar

the buttocks
the rectum

whew! that wasn't easy!

Thanks for the clips, I will make sure the parrot I get for her doesn't speak foul language or he will be dinner... (aw that's too much, humane society may get me!)

You can start off with a young bird with a clean mouth. You can spend a day or two teaching it to say something cute. But if it hears a bad word one time he will have it down pat the first time he hears it. The upside is they will stop with the bad word if they don't hear it for a couple months. Mine learned "son of a bi_ch" from Jack Bauer (24). He stopped saying it in July but I assume he will start again next month unless Jack has cleaned up his act.

Chacha
December 20th, 2009, 02:24
LOLOLOL....

ChaCha... Are you really sure about this???????

:kilroy:

When Alex was into his feisty moods, wound up, going off like a cannon, right in the middle of Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I would have to wheel his cage (with him in it) out into the back yard or into a back bedroom..

They can be VERY loud.. .

Bill

Hannah requested the whole Noah's Ark on her Christmas list, I don't have funds for the whole crew, so I am getting an African Gray for her.... she doesn't know yet, but I have ordered a cage and a skirt and other paraphernalia for the bird.... :bump:

I pray we get the good one.... :engel016:

Thanks Terry,

That is a good suggestion, I need to get a clean mouthed one, :pop4:

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 03:14
That was great...I have always wanted a bird like that...

Be careful Chacha..they can live a very long time, and take tons of dedication and care....For many, many years to come ...

Without proper human care, and keeping them content and exercised , they can develop many strange bad habits that can be destructive to the..Like pulling out all their feathers and such..

Other than that, I think they can be great fun and companionship for you too...

Dangerousdave26
December 20th, 2009, 03:49
That was great...I have always wanted a bird like that...

Be careful Chacha..they can live a very long time, and take tons of dedication and care....For many, many years to come ...

Without proper human care, and keeping them content and exercised , they can develop many strange bad habits that can be destructive to the..Like pulling out all their feathers and such..

Other than that, I think they can be great fun and companionship for you too...

50 - 60 years.

This is a life time commitment for you and Hannahhhhh.

Personally when I take in pets I never get rid of them until they die. They become a part of the family.

It is likely that this bird will out live you.

Chacha
December 20th, 2009, 06:38
Mr Dangrousdave26.

My name is Hannah with 2 Hs.....:wavey:

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 07:08
Mr Dangrousdave26.

LOL You tell him Hannah with 2 H's

I have already been corrcted....:running:

Snuffy
December 20th, 2009, 07:29
Then you shouldn't keep inviting 'Enry over! :bump:

Umm, I've never had 'Enry over .. he's too busy wanting to give Hey-Moe a sponge bath ... good thing too ... not so sure I'd have 'Enry over after that.

:bump:

Dangerousdave26
December 20th, 2009, 07:41
Mr Dangrousdave26.

Is that better

:icon_lol:

I put some others there just in the event I forget again. :icon_lol:

Willy
December 20th, 2009, 12:11
We've had a pet blue jay that my wife rescued from a cat when he was a baby and we named him Jay D. Byrd or just Jay. He lost a lot of muscle in his left wing from the attack and can't fly more than about 15 feet and then only in a left hand turn because of his messed up wing.

He's very smart and mimics all kinds of things. And like Cazzie's crow, he's a bling thief from the word go.