PDA

View Full Version : Snow and ice.........................

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 05:30
Well, we got our snow, but as per usual it got colder during the night and all turned to sleet and freezing rain. So this morning we have 8-inches of accumulated mess. I love snow, but I hate ice, ice breaks trees and trees fall on lines, and then the power goes.

Hope it was all snow where you live C9G, show us some shots.

Caz

Snuffy
December 19th, 2009, 05:39
Sorry to see your trees Caz.

When I lived in VA we got that all the time. Sure do miss bein from up there.

Pretty pictures despite the damage. Oh well get it cleaned up and you have some nice firewood, for that fireplace of yours.

Thanks for the update and sharing.

:ernae:

harleyman
December 19th, 2009, 05:42
Being from Virginia I am all to famaliar with those darn LobLolly Pines..They can't take any ice or wind ....

Pretty pics..Looks like it does at my house..

But i'm already at the shop, never sops me..the more the merrier..LOL

Dangerousdave26
December 19th, 2009, 05:44
Sorry to see your trees Caz.

When I lived in VA we got that all the time. Sure do miss bein from up there.

Pretty pictures despite the damage. Oh well get it cleaned up and you have some nice firewood, for that fireplace of yours.

Thanks for the update and sharing.

:ernae:

If I'm not mistaken those are Pine trees and you do not use Pine Trees as fireplace wood.

The sap gets up in the chimney and builds up leading to a chimney fire later.

GT182
December 19th, 2009, 05:49
Dave is right.... DO NOT use pine in a fireplace by it's self. If you do, mix it with some good hard wood.... more hard wood than pine. Creosote build up will cause a nasty and dangerous chimney fire. I've seen quite a few people that said they know how to burn wood in a fireplace or wood furnace, only to lose their home.

Toastmaker
December 19th, 2009, 05:57
I HATE THIS CRAP !! Wash. D.C. suburbs and the city is practically paralyzed. About 8" on the ground now with continued accumlation to about 15-20" by Sunday mid-day. . .

bpfowler
December 19th, 2009, 06:18
lived in chatham county NC for 22 years; ice storms and broken trees= no power
in the country that means no running water til the pumps comes back online.

'twas the ice as drove us west. that and them hurricanes...seattle, tho rainy, is pretty temperate.

cant believe the forecast for DC/virginia, that is rough sledding, take it easy all of youse!

brady

Snuffy
December 19th, 2009, 06:31
If I'm not mistaken those are Pine trees and you do not use Pine Trees as fireplace wood.

The sap gets up in the chimney and builds up leading to a chimney fire later.

Actually DD, yer not mistaken, and neither was I. No you don't want to burn pine by itself in a fireplace or stove, but you can and sometimes it is recommended to mix with regular hardwood because of the hotter heat will help the hardwood to clean the flue by itself. Yer okay to burn in a mix more hardwood than soft ... but it can be done.

Nice picture Toastie! :)

<edit> Now that I post this, I see Gary beat me to it. Damn Ninja'd again! </edit>

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 06:40
Being from Virginia I am all to famaliar with those darn LobLolly Pines..They can't take any ice or wind ....

Pretty pics..Looks like it does at my house..

But i'm already at the shop, never sops me..the more the merrier..LOL

They are actually Virginia pines harleyman, Lob-lolly pines have longer needles and do not grow in ever direction. The Virginia pine is a tree of Satan, no God could create a tree so disgusting and inferior.

GT182 is correct, pine is not good firewood, you want cured hardwood for that. Pine and for that matter all conifers release creosote when burned and this can build up in one's chimney and even catch fire. I would only burn pine in a 55-gallon drum for work places outdoors and for bonfires.

BTW, I don't even burn wood in my fireplace any longer, use a false propane firelog gizmo with a blower. The wife and I both are extremely allergic to smoke, any kind, and wood just didn't cut it. the propane unit is more efficient anyhow. I only use wood in my wood heater at the shop out back and even then I have to put a pan of water on top or the heat is too dry for my sinuses. I use some pine shards for starter, but burn oak, hickory, and ash..

Caz

Chacha
December 19th, 2009, 07:22
Beautiful sight... Snow and ice.... :running:

My ex is from DC, and we use to visit the in-laws during or after Christmas season around January to February. I remember driving the snowy roads of Maryland to DC and man, that is scary....Having my daughter at the back seat, it took me a few turns to really feel the road and learn how to drive on snow. :bump:

Living in Florida for more than 17 years, I may not even know how to drive on snowy roads... I may need the feel of the road again.... :monkies:

Dain Arns
December 19th, 2009, 07:43
It would be easy to say "welcome to my world", but instead I'd rather say a prayer for you folks. I know it's not easy. I hope and pray that everyone has electricity and heat through this storm. I hope that all those without power right now in North Carolina for example, get it returned as quickly and safely as possible. Those that are stranded in their cars get rescued as quickly as possible too.

And I want to pray for the safety of all those who have to work outside in these storms regardless. From law enforcement and emergency personnel, to the utility guys and Department of Transportation. They have difficult enough jobs as it is in good weather. God bless you all. :salute:

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 08:00
Man you guy really got dumped on. My wife use to life in New Jersey. She left because she got tired of digging her car out of the snow.

I asked her (rhetorically) aren't you glad you don't live in New Jersey right now? :jump: She said, yes!

GT182
December 19th, 2009, 09:02
Man you guy really got dumped on. My wife use to life in New Jersey. She left because she got tired of digging her car out of the snow.

I asked her (rhetorically) aren't you glad you don't live in New Jersey right now? :jump: She said, yes!

I bet if she were still there it would be for other reasons too. And the same reasons would apply to Delaware.

Besides, you guys down here have no idea what snow really is. You don't get snow that often nor any real large amount of it. Live up in Northern NY and New England then you'll know. And NO, NYC is not Northern NY. The Far North sucks in the winter, that's why you have it so easy here in the South. And why we moved down here.... but it's the idiots on the highways down here that make it nasty year round.