PDA

View Full Version : Tripods!

Kiwikat
December 18th, 2009, 20:53
I got my new tripod the other day... early Christmas gift :engel016:

I'm curious as to what you guys are mounting your cameras to.

Manfrotto 055XPROB
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2737/4196098563_5dfd4d72fd_o.jpg

Manfrotto 488RC2 Ball Head
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/4196853266_ddf6e9135c_o.jpg

6297J
December 18th, 2009, 22:50
Very nice!
I use a Gitzo tripod and an Arca Swiss ballhead. I bought them back when I could afford them as I knew I would have them for life.

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 01:44
Very nice!
I use a Gitzo tripod and an Arca Swiss ballhead. I bought them back when I could afford them as I knew I would have them for life.

Salivating here!

But I have two standard tripods, one sturdy and one light, plus a little bendable mini-tripod that I take on hikes with the small digital (I can wrap it around a small tree or tree limb too). I have a mono-pod too, but about the only time I ever use it is at airshows.

Caz

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 05:53
I have a cheap aluminum one I bought at Best Buy for the occasional time I do you one. Since most of the pictures I take are outdoors scenery I don't really use one. The light aluminum works well as a steady rest on the hood of the car, if and when I need more support.

The use of VR lenses really helps too.

JorisVandenBerghe
December 19th, 2009, 06:06
I use the old tripod from my dad from time to time (don't ask for the brand because I don't have any idea actually). I hardly ever use it, only now during winter (like today, trying to photograph some birds in the trees in our backyard) when there's less light.

Will, perhaps we could start with a 'Bags!' thread ? I'm curious where everyone puts his stuff into...

I'm glad this subforum is so popular...photography is great (but expensive) hobby.:mixedsmi:

Kiwikat
December 19th, 2009, 06:18
Will, perhaps we could start with a 'Bags!' thread ? I'm curious where everyone puts his stuff into...

I'm glad this subforum is so popular...photography is great (but expensive) hobby.:mixedsmi:

We should probably just make a sticky'd "gear" thread and get it done with. :icon_lol:

It would seem that it is popular among existing members. I worry that new people might not be able to find it because you have to go to the forum index to get to it. (it isn't in the dropdown menu) Hopefully it will remain popular. If we got enough people down here we could do some photo contests to keep things interesting.

Photography is very expensive if you're looking for a decent lens, otherwise it isn't too horrible. I need to sell my 55-250 in the next month to help pay for the 100-400...

6297J
December 19th, 2009, 06:31
I'm about to start a Bag thread :kilroy:

JorisVandenBerghe
December 19th, 2009, 06:55
It would seem that it is popular among existing members. I worry that new people might not be able to find it because you have to go to the forum index to get to it. (it isn't in the dropdown menu) Hopefully it will remain popular. If we got enough people down here we could do some photo contests to keep things interesting.

Photography is very expensive if you're looking for a decent lens, otherwise it isn't too horrible. I need to sell my 55-250 in the next month to help pay for the 100-400...
Agreed, it would be better to have it in the drop-down menu. Too bad of the lens, I like that lens. It's not high-end, nor expensive or anything, but it achieves great results for it's price! Not to mention it versatility, it's a very useful range.

Cratermaker
December 19th, 2009, 07:04
Manfrotto/Bogen 3021 tripod and 410 gearhead.

Good lord! I just looked at the current prices on these things and they have gone way, WAY up since I bought them!

Chacha
December 19th, 2009, 08:02
I have an aluminum tripod as well. I don't know the brand, bought it at Radio Shack, once upon a time. I don't use it as much, since it is just me and my daughter... :jump:

But great that I was reminded I have one, so I can be in the pictures when I am taking the pictures.. :running:

kilo delta
December 19th, 2009, 08:43
I've a couple of el cheapo aluminium tripods but never use them. Nikon's VR technology has proven very useful in my 70-300 VR lens and I've been fortunate in that I can hold the body reasonably still for most pics with suffering any camera shake.