PDA

View Full Version : Help required please.

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 18:40
So....

Im incredibly new to this forum aswell to the game.
I know it exists a long while, the series i mean.
But i really gave it a chance...lack of descent joystick, sad to say, way to much of wow played :)
But anyways, lately i visited my friends house, and in the basement he shows me what his dad is working on.

Turns out it was a frigging real cockpit with 9screens, throttle, joystick, pedals, the whole lot...

He configured it himself, by also using a own made software thingy.

But he showed me the game etc, and i got really impressed.
The gfx, realism...

So i decided to purchase it myself, with acceleration and the 44gigs final exspansion.

But i didnt have the hardware for it, i mean, i have g19 keyboard, g9x mousen xbox pc controller and a logitech dualstick gamepad.

I tried and tried but i t never really worked as intended.

So as i was scoping for information, i read people talking down on playing fsx with pads etc...
And i came across the Logitech G940...well, it was hard not to be impressed.
And the store was selling it for a mere 226€, and i did some researching and it seemed the cheapest to find....

Well, now im here, sitting in my 'cockpit', every thing is wired.
I read half the manual, several forums, etc.

But i just can manage to get an overal profile to work descently to just even the basic commands for the game.
Is there some way i could get a basic profile i can import, with basic steering etc...i do want to work it out on myself...
But as i have a job now, and a gf....i have a lot less time to spend on mastering just assigning keys or axes for it to work.

If i had some basic profile, i could gradually bend it to my preferences.
And over time get to enjoy the game to the fullest, and that would be allot cause there are just soooo many things to explore.

I hope i dont come off as lazy, it's just, i seem to be missing something :)

I have been, what is it now, 4.35 pm in Belgium, reading and trying and failing since 11 pm to get somewhere.
It seemed to go the right direction, but then yeah...well...

Im just a bit desperate, as i have joined your forum, and tried to read allot of topics that seemed to help me.
I found it pretty clear there are a bunch of people here that know ALLOT about the game, and flight sims, or just basic flying rules in general.

So i humbly ask your assistance with creating a basic profile for FS X playing with the Logitech G940 joystick, pedals, and rudder....

My regards...

Belgian Tool...

harleyman
December 18th, 2009, 18:49
Hello and welcome.....

Lets see here...

Your best bet may be to explore one controller at a time till you get the basics down..

I suggest just the basic joystick first..Then do some set up for it ,and enjoy FSX a bit..After you get that down then go to the other controllers ..The peddals are tougher to set up for sure...

Trying to do it all at once may be a deal breaker ..And drive you nuts in the process

thisizma
December 18th, 2009, 19:11
Hello and welcome.....

Lets see here...

Your best bet may be to explore one controller at a time till you get the basics down..

I suggest just the basic joystick first..Then do some set up for it ,and enjoy FSX a bit..After you get that down then go to the other controllers ..The peddals are tougher to set up for
Trying to do it all at once may be a deal breaker ..And drive you nuts in the process
Microsoft Sidewinder is what I started with. Eventually I ended up with Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS. I'd love to have a yoke and rudder pedals,but I fly a laptop.

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 19:13
Indeed, that is what i am experiencing atm....

I left out the peddals, and the Joystick is pretty doable, but im really bummed i cant get my throttle to work as it should. It never goes to full throttle or reverse, i allways have to manually do it with keys, or mouse.
I understand i can configure the joystick to do so... but i have this great system now...

And i feel kinda silly leaving 2/3 parts unused...But i guess baby steps...

I just figured, there might be a basic profile available, wich one can import, and work on from there.
The standard FS X profile really sucks...for the G940 that is...

So, back to the drawing board it is...but i must admit to you :) true that about the deal breaker and nuts driving :-)

I allways found myself to be a good gamer and many levels...or sorts....but this is really professional stuff...
Hope the misses is gonna give me the chance the put some time in this one....

Sleeping on the bench eacht night aint all that :-)

thisizma
December 18th, 2009, 19:23
What stick do you have?

Tried setting config?

glennc
December 18th, 2009, 19:36
Ginadin,

The problem is that FSX assigns the same axis to more than one device on the G-940. That's definitely what's happening to your throttles. The "fun" part is to find where the throttles are assigned besides the throttles. You might find the throttles defined on the joystick and the pedals. It takes a fair amount of experimentation. I think I spent about three days getting it all working. When you find the FSX throttle axes assigned on something other than the throttles, delete that assignment. You will probably find the same thing on most of the axes. The tough part is that button assignments are handled in the Logitech profiler but axes are handled in the FSX controller setup. The payback is that after yu go through all that, it really works well.

One other place to look is the Logitech support forums. There is some good info there.

Let me know how it goes. I have exported my config. It's an XML file that may or may not work for you. What operating system and FSX varient do you have? One other issue MIGHT be the language you are using for Windows. I don't know if that's a problem or not.

Glenn

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 19:39
The entire logitech package G940.

Includes a Joystick, rudder pedals, and throttle pad....

I tried various thing, create a profile in the software provide with the hardware, tried in game settings, tried to calibrate some setting like sensitivity in Windwos itself.

Like ok, i could just use the joystick. It has like 12 buttons orso itself.
But i mean...just simply getting that throttle to work.

I put all out and i shows that it only is at 70 percent, then i have to manually boost it to 100% with mouse or keyboard setting.

I could use buttons from my joystick to function as throttle, but then again.

Spent 200+ euros on the hardware ( wich looks great tbh ) and then the game etc. and then yeah.

I was hoping maybe someone who has the same hardware and put me on track? i downloaded every update possible...

But still aint like i want it :(

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/joysticks/devices/5855&cl=nl,nl

This is the hardware

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 19:50
Im using a Vista 64bit, since im Belgian its the dutch version :-), but that never gave any problems with any type of game in the past.
Im searching for the exact version of FS X.
Erm, dunno really where to look for that, just know that i got acceleration so its sp2 and i got that 45 gig expansion.

Euhm, imported some addons, planes, airports, whatnot.

The part aout what you said tha fsx indeed configures the same task on multiple pieces...so u i decide to start from square one....deleted all assigned keys and joystick assignments....

So there were no overlapping issues anymore, i didnt know the part about the difference between the profiler and the ingame settings so maybe i shall look there.

Where exactly can i find your exported profile? I probably stamped a post-it noob on my forhead with that question.

Reminder : im new :P

thisizma
December 18th, 2009, 20:13
Man...I can't help. But sometimes when I unplug and then replug , it fixes itself.
It's true. It really happens. :mixedsmi:

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 20:21
I work for an internet provider...how much i used the phrase, "Have u tried unpluggin it an replugging it yet"

I keeps me up at night :-)

Dain Arns
December 18th, 2009, 21:09
What driver set do you have? The 5.06 drivers on the install disk for the G940 were bad. If those are the one's you used, I would try and locate the 5.08 drivers for the G940 from the Logitech website and download and use those instead. :wavey:

Ginadin
December 18th, 2009, 21:54
Hmmmm interesting....well, i got allot out of the general logitech forum.
Actually one post of some guy :-)

Now i am able to us my joystick and throtlle ( throttle max power output still 98%; but its better then 60 wich i had earlier ), my rudder peddals, im just going to tweak joystick and throttle first.

Finishing touch will be the peddals, although i dont forsee any problems there...
Just used for rudder and braking ( left or right ).

Main thing is logitech is aware of certain flaws in their product, they dont say it but reading between the lines, yeah well.

*Drivers really helped, more options to configure axes etc, felt more fluently, but still got loads to learn, ty for the head up*

One could also say FS X is flawed...but seeing it is built one a knowledge base that goes back 10+ years.
I will blame moneyhungry Logitech ;-).

At least i learned allot, still have faaaar to go....but it will happen.

But, if any of you guys has any pointers, feel free....would be much appreciated.

Thnx for all the help yall gave allready.

*on a sidenote, even after updating it appears i still have 5.06 *

dloading the newer version asap, thnx!

Ginadin
December 19th, 2009, 04:25
Pfff, there things really flawed with this combination of profiler - g940 - fs x
So many random thing happen...

During flights keys change, yada yada...

I dont know how to get it working...

Deal breaker i guess...

glennc
December 19th, 2009, 05:30
Ginadin,

Watch for PM later today. I'm not at home right now.

Glenn

Ginadin
December 19th, 2009, 09:59
Im not runnin anywhere :) of flying rather....
Reinstalled the game, the hardware, still it acts up...Like, i assign one task to T1 extend flaps, T2 retract flaps....

And for some reason T1 doesnt perform the action... T2 does...

Drivers are all latest... Dunno what else to do so i disconnected my hardware a bit and watching a movie atmo :)