PDA

View Full Version : Is this stuff worth anything?

jmig
December 18th, 2009, 13:19
I have an old 35mm SLR and a few lenses that I bought while in SEA,many years ago. One of my sons borrowed the stuff in high school for a photography class and broke the camera. Bought a used cheap body for him to finish the class and, the stuff has been sitting ever since.

I am thinking of donating it to a school but I don't know if it is even worth donating. Do any of you have any idea if any of this stuff is useful? (Wow used "any" three times in one sentence.)

Camera Minolta XG-1
MC Minolta 50mm 1.4f
UNK 39080mm mini zoom 3.5f
MD ROKKOR-X 45mm 2F
MD Minolta 100-200 zoom 5.6F

Henry
December 18th, 2009, 18:00
schools have a large need for cameras
does it have manual?
if so a great way to
donate
H

JorisVandenBerghe
December 19th, 2009, 00:28
John, the 50mm f/1.4, is that an autofocus lens ? If yes, you could get a cheap body of Sony's Alpha DSLR line and put it on...you'll be able to use that particular lens (if it's an AF lens, otherwise it won't work on the Alpha-mount of Sony/Konica Minolta).

Well, to be honest, about the rest I don't know. I know how film works and the basic principles, but I have never used it myself and don't know a lot about it...sorry, it's from before my time...:kilroy:.

Cazzie
December 19th, 2009, 01:53
John, the 50mm f/1.4, is that an autofocus lens ? If yes, you could get a cheap body of Sony's Alpha DSLR line and put it on...you'll be able to use that particular lens (if it's an AF lens, otherwise it won't work on the Alpha-mount of Sony/Konica Minolta).

Well, to be honest, about the rest I don't know. I know how film works and the basic principles, but I have never used it myself and don't know a lot about it...sorry, it's from before my time...:kilroy:.

Wow and LOL, if that does not speak of for the times.

What a fortunate life you have in photography young grasshopper. I have three 35-mm cameras that I use to use for a living and not one photograph has been taken with any in the last 10 years. I am now full digital and you could not drag me back to those halycon dinosaur days for no man's money. And that's what it is all about, money. Film costs money, a lot of money. If you processed on your own, it cost time and more money.

I know there are still people that crave film, but for me, film is history and belongs there. Now, if they can come up with a decent home printer, that is not costly InkJet (also fragile) or Laser, then the circle will be complete. At the least, the local Wally World could have a compotent self-use machine like Ritz Camera had before they vamoosed from this depressed area.

Caz

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 05:46
schools have a large need for cameras
does it have manual?
if so a great way to
donate
H

Are you kidding? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

No, I am afraid not. I do have a hardbound book on Minolta photography, which is where I learned most of the basics of how to take pictures. As for the manuals on the camera and lenses...no way, Jose.

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 05:48

Joris, these lenses were all built in the early to mid 1970's. No autofocus.

Maybe a museum would want them? :)

Moparmike
December 19th, 2009, 06:02
I wonder if any schools even use film in their classes anymore...

I don't know much about the Minolta side of things.
AFAIK,(and as Joris posted) I think that their manual-focus mount is all but dead so is probably only usable on an old Minolta film camera. An MC is one of their manual-focus mounts so no it's not an autofocus (Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha series) lens.

I still like to break out a roll of film every now and then (the last couple dozen rolls have been B&W only).
Not necessarily because I like the medium better than digital but because I still love the feel of my two old K1000SEs.
Now that I've started to find ways to get that "film" look on a B&W conversion of a digital I haven't done much with the old Pentaxes.

JorisVandenBerghe
December 19th, 2009, 06:56
Joris, these lenses were all built in the early to mid 1970's. No autofocus.

Maybe a museum would want them? :)
'Old' is subjective :)...I love old things (as far as they work properly, like warbirds). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Too bad they are MF lenses, Minolta made great lenses when they were still in business. Fortunately Sony continues the heritage. Now if only they'd come up a bit faster with their A700 replacement...

Henry
December 20th, 2009, 16:57
actually i meant manual exposure:isadizzy:
if so schools love them
H

Panther_99FS
December 22nd, 2009, 10:04
Ya' might wanna check out how well that 50mm 1.4 works with your D40....Who cares if it's manual focus, that's how we all grew up ;)

JorisVandenBerghe
December 22nd, 2009, 10:07
I'd rather not try it, since the Nikon F-mount and Minolta's older mount (current was is the Minolta A/Sony Alpha one) aren't the same and you risk damaging both the lens and your current camera :).

Mr.P, feel free to correct me if I would be wrong...but I believe the mounts are the same and therefore the lens can't be mounted on that body.

Panther_99FS
December 22nd, 2009, 10:41
I'd rather not try it, since the Nikon F-mount and Minolta's older mount (current was is the Minolta A/Sony Alpha one) aren't the same and you risk damaging both the lens and your current camera :).

Mr.P, feel free to correct me if I would be wrong...but I believe the mounts are the same and therefore the lens can't be mounted on that body.

That's why I said "check out" Better to check it out first rather than to just straight up give it away...:mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
December 22nd, 2009, 10:46
Or,
Find another film body, get yourself some Kodachrome 64, & have some fun! :mixedsmi: