PDA

View Full Version : Dual Install Request to Gigabyte.....

GT182
December 18th, 2009, 11:19
Could you lay it out on doing a dual install for X3... either one as it should work the same for both Reunion and Terran Conflict.

Reason being.. I'm a dummy doing it. Oh I can have a dual install of either one but the "save" folder in My Documents only comes up with one for Reunion and/or TC. I did a dual install of TC lastnight with the XTend mod and both installs had the mod in them with my old saves too. BTW.. XTend is visually awesome.

I'm sure there's others having the same problem so we'd all appreciate your incite on this to give us a hand if you so kindly would.

Our thanks to you, fellow defender of the X3 Universe. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

gigabyte
December 18th, 2009, 14:15
I was actually thinking along this line for the Mods topic, but I can link to this post so here goes... It's too simple 5 steps

1) Install the game normally add any Mods you want to keep for alternate games such as the Cockpit Mods and make sure everything is working to your satsfaction. I also set-up my controls , game options and Key assignments.

2) Next go to your Ergosoft folder (normally C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT) Highlight the game folder (X3 Reunion or X3 Terran Conflict) and make a copy of the complete game folder right where it is. What I did was highlight the folder Hold Ctrl key touch C key then release, now hold Ctrl touch V) the whole folder gets duplicated with the word - Copy added.

3) Now follow the instructions to add any Mod to the Copy (I also change the word Copy to the Mod name so it is easy to tell them apart i.e. c:\Program Files\Ergosoft\X3 - Xtd)

4) Next navigate to the Game start file (X3.exe or X3TC.exe) inside each folder and Right Click then select "Send To", and "Desktop (Create Shortcut)", Then rename the new Desktop shortcuts to the X3 - Vanilla and the Mod name X3 - Xtended etc.

5) Final Step Navigate to the Ergosoft folder inside your My Documents and make a copy of the folder "Save" and delete any files in the copied folder (this is where all your save games are kept) when you want to play the Mod rename the Save folder to Save-BU, and your copy to Save, you are now ready to start a new fresh Moded Game and your Vanilla saves are safe. When you want to switch back rename the folders to the original names.

The process is manual but it works fine, there is no problem playing from a renamed program folder (I thought there would be but it works fine for Reunion and Terran Conflict) the biggest problem is remembering which Save Game folder you have named - my trick for that, I created an empty text file with the Mod name as the file name, the game ignores it so I can tell which to folder is active by looking for the Text file inside Save.

The only real drawback is disk space, X3 Reunion Vanilla is 4 Gig so for each Mod you are chewing up 4 gig plus the size of the Mod, and with Terran Conflict it is closer to 8 Gig, but if you have the disk space it is easy.

This is the method I use, there are other ways, but I found this was most convenient for me as I could get everything working and set just right then just copy and add, not resetting keys options and profiles for each Mod.

Hope this helps.

Here are a couple quick screen shots of my installs;

1st is the Program folder with the full copies renamed;
2nd is the Send to function to create the Shortcuts
3rd is the Save Games folders.

gigabyte
December 18th, 2009, 14:26
GT check the pic I posted in teh Gmax topic, is that the Fire Fly you were asking for? If so it is included in the DDTC Mod, I just started it last night, and it looks awsome, I will post more pics and links in teh Mods topic, stay tuned.

GT182
December 18th, 2009, 14:42
Thanks Mike. I'm sure this will help others, not only just me. I might have to add another HDD dedicated to only X3. LOL