PDA

View Full Version : ETO expansion

0865phillipjoy
December 18th, 2009, 11:09
HI,

I've installed the ETO 100 expansion and then then 120 on top of that, but I still got problems and a questions.

Problem:

1. In Era 1 and 2 my flights only last a matter of minutes and then they freeze, and CFS3 crashes. So I don't get to fly those lovely hurricanes or 109s. It doesn't happen on later eras, only occasionally.

2. When I try to make changes to the Respawn the command prompt says "access denied" about 20 times then stops. Is this normal?

Questions:
1. Do you have to specify Era each time you play a pilot or only when you create that pilot. Like, does Expansion remember the global layers as part of the saved game status?

2. Same for Respawn. Each time, or only when creating?

If each time then it makes it necessary to go out, restart Expansion every time you want to switch pilots or campaigns. That is annoying - have I just gotta live with it?

3. When do MS intend to bring it out as a fully functional loadable DVD-ROM?

Help and enlightenment would be appreciated, especially on the freezing hurris.

Philxx

grizzly50
December 19th, 2009, 18:42
HI,

I've installed the ETO 100 expansion and then then 120 on top of that, but I still got problems and a questions.

Problem:

1. In Era 1 and 2 my flights only last a matter of minutes and then they freeze, and CFS3 crashes. So I don't get to fly those lovely hurricanes or 109s. It doesn't happen on later eras, only occasionally.

2. When I try to make changes to the Respawn the command prompt says "access denied" about 20 times then stops. Is this normal?

Questions:
1. Do you have to specify Era each time you play a pilot or only when you create that pilot. Like, does Expansion remember the global layers as part of the saved game status?

2. Same for Respawn. Each time, or only when creating?

If each time then it makes it necessary to go out, restart Expansion every time you want to switch pilots or campaigns. That is annoying - have I just gotta live with it?

3. When do MS intend to bring it out as a fully functional loadable DVD-ROM?

Help and enlightenment would be appreciated, especially on the freezing hurris.

Philxx

:kilroy:0865phillipjoy,

in answer to your questions:

1. See below*. ETO Expansion recognizes campaing and Era only when flying saved campaigns. You have to be careful here. Example: If you fly the Attack in the West '40 campaign in Era 1, then try to open it in another Era, you will have problems. Yes, the global layers are different in each Era, with respect to airfields and countries on the map in particular. There is no real problem with pilots, unless it is in campaign play.

2. What do you mean by "Respawn"? Do you mean "Refly"? Should be no problem with that. Also, see below*.

3. MS has absolutely nothing to do with the CFS3 ETO Expansion. This is a freeware sim add-on, created by CFS3 afficiandos, for MS Combat Flight Simulator 3.

*First of all, what OS are you using? Windows XP? Windows Vista? Windows 7?

1. If XP, there should be no problem at all.

2. For Vista, you need turn off the UAC (User Account Control). This will allow ETO to play in all five Eras. Running as Adminstrator in equivalent XP SP 2 mode may also help.

3. For Windows 7, try running as Administrator in equivalent XP SP 3 mode, I think. Not very familiar with Windows 7 just yet.

Question: How can you be playing in Era 2 if the game only opens in Era 1? This is not normally possible.

Question: When is the game crashing? During Quick Combat play, Mission play, or Campaign play?

More likely than not, I'll guess that it is during Campaign play. This is rather confusing to some, if they don't know the "secret". It's really not a secret, though.

This will happen in Campaign play because the correct Spawn Selector Settings were not chosen.

The available campaigns and the Eras in which they are to be played (Using ETO Start):

Era 1 (1936 - Spring 1940 Spain and West '40): 2 campaigns are currently available for Era 1, the Phoney War Campaign and the Attack in the West '40 campaign. These can only be played in Era 1.

Era 2 (Summer 1940 - Year End 1942 - Battle of Britain): There are currently no campaigns for this Era.

Era 3 (Early 1943 - Spring 1944 Yanks over Germany): 1943 ETO Campaign.

Era 4 (Spring 1944 - Late 1944 Normandy to the Rhine): 1944 ETO Campaign.

Era 5 (Late 1944 - Summer 1945 Battle of the Bulge to V-E Day): 1945 ETO Campaign.

CFS3 ETO Expansion Spawn Selector:

1. Stock Spawn Mode: Usually used in the Quick Combat section.

2. Random Spawn Disable: Used only when playing missions.

3. Allied Side ETO Campaign: Used in Eras 3, 4, & 5 when flying for the Allies.

4. Axis Side ETO Campaign: Used in Eras 3, 4, & 5 when flying for the Axis.

5. Allied Side Attack in the West Campaign: To be used only in Era 1 when flying for the Allies in the Attack in the West Campaign.

6. Axis Side Attack in the West Campaign: To be used only in Era 1 when flying for the Axis in the Attack in the West Campaign.

7. Allied Side Phoney War Campaign: To be used only in Era 1 when flying for the Allies in the Phoney War Campaign.

8. Axis Side Phoney War Campaign: To be used only in Era 1 when flying for the Axis in the Phoney War Campaign.

Here's the correct procedure:

1. Determine the campaign and Era you want to fly.

2. Set the Spawn Selector for the campaign chosen.

3. Start ETO in the proper Era for the campaign you want to fly.

4. After the sim is up, select the Campaign tab and then click the campaign you want to play. (Remember, only certain campaigns can be played in certain Eras.)

Note: If you don't have the ETO Start icon, you've got a problem.

I hope this helps.:d

0865phillipjoy
December 20th, 2009, 04:52
HI Grizzly,
I am so grateful someone has taken the (considerable) trouble to answer my questions. I'm not very up in all this and I'm not a designer or modder, just like flying, and its the campaigns which I like best, so the thought of five whole new ones is very exciting. My system is vista and I'll try the things you say.
Ciao x:salute:

0865phillipjoy
December 20th, 2009, 15:42
Hi Grizzly,

After 5 failed loadups, I then followed your instructions and I have finally got ETO to work and I have had a HUGELY enjoyable evening mucking about flying the first mission of Allied Phoney war in that lovely hurricane.

The trick was with Vista to disable the user account control, then suddenly I got all the splashes and different eras and everything worked. It was also helpful to point out which campaigns belong to which eras and that there isn't a BoB campaign yet.

Thanks, furthermore, for explaining the origins of ETO. Being a humble flyer - but not a creator - of sims I am a bit of an outsider amongst so many far more talented people in this community. But I want everyone who worked on this to know I am going to enjoy the fruits of their labours immensely.

In my opinion the creators of ETO should be working for microsoft because ETO is even from first glimpse a damn sight better than the original CFS3, which I had just about exhausted the possibilities of. I had just flown every german mission possible and with some very simple ground tactics, quite out of place in a sim, I managed to invade Uk and win the Campaign with multiple pilots or more times. Completely stupid, and I was about to move on to IL-2.

Now I've actually enjoyed navigating blind again (like I used to do in CFS1), turning off virtually every help and label the original pilots wouldn't have had, using the gauges and experiencing the thrill of real-time journey, fight, and then using the superb terrain to help get home etc etc. (SO glad have no longer to contend with that ma-hu-ssively stupid endless horizon of randomly scattered trees!)

SO A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!!!

Only got one question: if I fly out without warp, do the job [and it says "mission goal successful one goal remains"- viz to get home], and then I successfully fly home without warping, why does it tell me I failed to achieve all the goals? How can I both switch off every navigational aid, and still persuade the computer that I've resolved mission goals? (Its a bit like with CFS1 when you'd land back after real-time flight and it said "you must take off first"- like you'd never been!!!) Anyway its just a very minor point.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS -MINE WILL BE!!! :ernae:

B Bandy RFC
December 26th, 2009, 17:33
Grizzly50's response is super helpful for newbies to ETO, and I hope the thread doesn't get buried...

This random campaign crashing thing had me pulling my hair out!

T-800
March 16th, 2011, 06:43
Hello!
I'm newbie in ETO and I have one question.

I will save campaign, for example attack in the West' 40 for Allied side and exit the game. When I want again enter the game and load saved campaign do I have to repeat this procedure:

1. Set the Spawn Selector for the campaign chosen (in my case Allied Side Attack in the West Campaign)

2. Start ETO in the proper Era for the campaign you want to fly (Era 1 1936 - Spring 1940 Spain and West '40)

Do I have to do this every time before when I enter the game and load a saved campaign?

Please reply

Regards

mrjmaint
March 16th, 2011, 10:38
Hello!
I'm newbie in ETO and I have one question.

I will save campaign, for example attack in the West' 40 for Allied side and exit the game. When I want again enter the game and load saved campaign do I have to repeat this procedure:

1. Set the Spawn Selector for the campaign chosen (in my case Allied Side Attack in the West Campaign)

2. Start ETO in the proper Era for the campaign you want to fly (Era 1 1936 - Spring 1940 Spain and West '40)

Do I have to do this every time before when I enter the game and load a saved campaign?

Please reply

Regards

Yes.

T-800
March 16th, 2011, 12:05
OK, Thank you :jump:

Daiwilletti
March 16th, 2011, 13:57
Hi Grizzly,

Only got one question: if I fly out without warp, do the job [and it says "mission goal successful one goal remains"- viz to get home], and then I successfully fly home without warping, why does it tell me I failed to achieve all the goals? How can I both switch off every navigational aid, and still persuade the computer that I've resolved mission goals? (Its a bit like with CFS1 when you'd land back after real-time flight and it said "you must take off first"- like you'd never been!!!) Anyway its just a very minor point.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS -MINE WILL BE!!! :ernae:
Greetings, when flying missions there are several goals. Sounds like you are familiar with the normal campaign missions, and the need to destroy the target and reach all waypoints. For example in campaign intercept missions, you need to get to the waypoint. But usually the enemy aircraft called by intercept.spawns will appear before you reach the waypoint. So after creating the requisite amount of damage to the airformation, you need to fly to the waypoint before returning to base.

If you are flying a normal mission rather than a campaign mission, there may be an error in the mission file which makes it impossible to get a success message at the end of the mission? Not a common occurrence but it happens sometimes!

BUT at the end of the mission , when you are told that the mission has failed, the message should also tell you which mission goal has not been met? You can also, on your way home, press "M" and scroll down to view which mission goals you have fulfilled, and which mission goals remain to be met. Maybe thats the answer....:wavey: