but after i got one of these
it made a big improvement
http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=stroboframe
how many people use on camera flash?
not the built in one but a speedlight
H

Kiwikat
December 18th, 2009, 11:12
I've got a Canon 430exII. I still don't know how to use it well though. Once it gets warm outside again, I'll be practicing a lot with it.

Flash photography isn't easy... :mixedsmi:

Cratermaker
December 18th, 2009, 11:47
Well I do know that a bounce head helps a lot if you have a surface to bounce off of. I learned this with my Sunpak on my G3. Should be using a nice flash again shortly with my Rebel. Why did Canon have to change the protocol to talk to the flash? :isadizzy:

I would always use an external flash over the built in one, given the option and I'll have the option again soon. (checks tracking info on order again) :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
December 18th, 2009, 12:01
I would always use an external flash over the built in one, given the option and I'll have the option again soon. (checks tracking info on order again) :icon_lol:

Which one did you order? :kilroy:

6297J
December 18th, 2009, 12:10
Shooting macro I use flash pretty much every shot. At the moment I use a very basic Nikon SB400 but I also have a soft diffuser attached and can tilt the head up to suit. The diffuser really helps.
For indoor shots I can use the flash off camera with a (very) long cord.
A flash bracket would be a great help for me but only if I could bring the flash down to the same level as the lens. And most flash brackets are big clumsy things. I shoot a lot with the camera in one hand and the object in the other (a bug on a twig for example) and a flash bracket would make it too heavy!

Cazzie
December 18th, 2009, 12:26
Henry,

I only use the built in flash in the little Olympus digital. I never use the Pentax flash. For my model subjects, I use three mounted diffused light sources, one main source and two shadow killers. The same when I am doing portraits.

Caz

Cratermaker
December 18th, 2009, 12:31
Which one did you order? :kilroy:
Same one you have I believe: 430EXII I've had my eye on that one for some time now and being on sale clinched the deal.

Kiwikat
December 18th, 2009, 12:50
Same one you have I believe: 430EXII I've had my eye on that one for some time now and being on sale clinched the deal.

Oooh cool, you'll love it! It is quite the flash for the $$$. Pretty much the same as the 580exII just without the "master" capability. I think it is a tiny bit less powerful too, but the 430 holds its own. :applause:

Moparmike
December 18th, 2009, 14:22
I've got the Sigma 530DG (not Super) for my Pentax. Use it quite a bit indoors (although I don't do much indoor shooting). Great unit so far. I don't have a bracket for it though...I just use the hotshoe when I use it solo. It has both tilt and swivel on the head so I can reposition to aim it regardless if I'm shooting landscape or portrait.

My old Sears flash from my film kit has a safe enough trigger that I can still use it on my DSLR without frying the camera so I can use my old flash on-camera and the 530 remote if I want to (or I can trigger the 530 with the built-in flash too but that thing is too harsh most of the time).
Have played with multi-flash setups a bit but I usually just use the tilt/swivel to bounce a single off a nearby wall or ceiling and use another light source to kill shadows.

Tom Clayton
December 18th, 2009, 15:33
I've never done it - yet - but if you need a diffuser for your popup flash, just grab one of those old translucent 35MM film cans. Google film can diffuser for several dozen variations on the web.

Henry
December 18th, 2009, 17:58
I've never done it - yet - but if you need a diffuser for your popup flash, just grab one of those old translucent 35MM film cans. Google film can diffuser for several dozen variations on the web.
kleenex is cheaper
H

kilo delta
December 19th, 2009, 03:29
I use a Nikon SB600 with my cameras. The ability to bounce the flash off different surfaces can be very useful. I got a few Stobist lighting dvd's recently and would heartily recommend them. :)

6297J
December 19th, 2009, 04:55
I use a Nikon SB600 with my cameras. The ability to bounce the flash off different surfaces can be very useful. I got a few Stobist lighting dvd's recently and would heartily recommend them. :)

How do you find the battery life? The two rechargeable ones I use in my SB400 last a surprisingly long time. Much longer than I thought they would. I'm holding off for the long rumoured SB700 before upgrading.

Moparmike
December 19th, 2009, 05:39

Yup...I've done that a few times before I got my 530. Still didn't like not being able to aim the flash where I wanted it. Plus the on-board flash is too close the the lens centerline so if you've got a long lens mounted you'll usually get that pesky "eclipse" from it shadowing part of the lighting.

kleenex is cheaper
H

Yeah, but I always got dark spots!
Oh...I suppose you mean to use a clean Kleenex? :d

kilo delta
December 19th, 2009, 05:57
How do you find the battery life? The two rechargeable ones I use in my SB400 last a surprisingly long time. Much longer than I thought they would. I'm holding off for the long rumoured SB700 before upgrading.

Battery life is is not bad at all,though to be honest I've not used the flash much....really only for portraits so far :kilroy:. I bought it last August in order to cover my sister's wedding ceremony and the batteries lasted the whole day. I'm using Uniross AA 2700mAh rechargeables and carry a bunch of spares "just in case".
I'm also considering getting a grip for the D300 as I'd like the extra fps and have one on my D80 and find the body much more balanced with it. I've bought a Phottix Kosmos battery pack but haven't found a compatible grip that'll accept it (apart from the genuine Nikon item which is out of my price range atm).

Panther_99FS
December 20th, 2009, 11:15
how many people use on camera flash?
not the built in one but a speedlight
H

Henry,
I bought a SB-400 for my D3000.....

luckydog
December 20th, 2009, 13:41
Henry.....
Those Stroboframe brackets are nice. I've been using one for years.
Getting the flash off of the camera always results in better pics ( less red-eye and shadow behind subject).

My current flash is a Canon 580 EXII ( always with a bracket )

For the studio I use 5 Alien B-800's in a similiar set-up to the one below
2 umbrellas, 1 softbox, and 2 more strobes for hair / background.

Snuffy
December 21st, 2009, 03:09
I got the stock strobe that came with my Canon Eos Rebel many years ago. Of course that was back when film was plentiful.

Panther_99FS
December 22nd, 2009, 09:59
back when film was plentiful.

Find yourself a good local camera store & you'll have all the film you need :mixedsmi: (Except Kodachrome which is in very short supply...)