PDA

View Full Version : What does IRIS stand for?

dswo
December 18th, 2009, 03:57
I'm working on a combo review of the Aerosoft and IRIS F-16s. What does IRIS stand for? I looked in several places on the website, to no avail.

stiz
December 18th, 2009, 04:21
take your pick http://www.acronymfinder.com/IRIS.html :d

TeaSea
December 18th, 2009, 04:53
I'd go with the earthquake thing.....

Snuffy
December 18th, 2009, 05:02
Iris is a flowering plant ... with several varities

Its also a part of the eye ...

dswo
December 18th, 2009, 05:07
I'm go to see Avatar in a couple of hours. Just for that, I'm not going to tell you how it ends.

Quixoticish
December 18th, 2009, 05:33
I'm go to see Avatar in a couple of hours. Just for that, I'm not going to tell you how it ends.

We all know how it ends, we've all seen Dances with Wolves. :icon_lol:

limjack
December 18th, 2009, 06:27

My first thread I read this morning and you got me laughing, thanks for giving me a good start to the day.

Hmmm....Iris, so many meanings, I am now curious to find out which meaning fits the bill. Got to be something to do with the radar guided missle.

Jim

tigisfat
December 18th, 2009, 06:58
We all know how it ends, we've all seen Dances with Wolves. :icon_lol:

HAHAHAHA!!

how insightful and true.

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 07:00
I already know how it ends...

...the credits roll.

No?

Anyway - I dances with paintbrushes

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 07:02
Anyway, back to the topic - why not ask David? Drop by the website and PM him.

Probably something mundane - as in he named it after his maiden aunt or something...

Nick C
December 18th, 2009, 07:07
If you are writing a review of an Iris product, would it not be best to ask the David what his company name stands for?

My biggest criticism of Avsim reviews (well really just about my only criticism), is when the reviewer makes presumptions rather than contacting the developer for a definitive answer.

I'm sure this won't be the case with this review of course.

Cough, cough. :engel016:

6297J
December 18th, 2009, 09:35
I hope it's nothing to do with the Inland Revenue.

ananda
December 18th, 2009, 10:06
It's really IRISH, but they don't know how to spell :guinness:

dswo
December 18th, 2009, 10:59
I tried PMing him this summer; never heard anything back. But I'll try again.

WarHorse47
December 18th, 2009, 15:11
If you know Karen's full name, you would be able to figure out the answer to this question. :mixedsmi:

--WH

warchild
December 19th, 2009, 01:06
I can tell you what i think it stands for..
it stands for a small group of individuals who over the last few years have bonded together to do the very best they can to make aircraft that are enjoyable, accurate and affordable. People who look in places no one else looks, like under the seats, trying to find that one odd vertex that just wont behave. People like myself, who scour through fcc documents and MOD documents and reports to make certain that the numbers and details in the aircraft, are as accurate as we can possibly make them. but mostly, it stands for a group of individuals who love the hell out of flying and this community we are so proud to serve. Even when sometimes that community can be a little more than harsh.. it makes us want to do better, and we do..
It stands for a small group of individuals that at one time was hardly even a second thought as a team, and who have made some of the most affordable and enjoyable aircraft addons available today..
And we will keep making them as affordable, as enjoyable, and as accurate as time and money allows..
till hell freezes over...
Pam

krazycolin
December 19th, 2009, 01:56
Stop now before I break out my hankie.

centuryseries
December 19th, 2009, 02:32

I'm overcome with Emulsion lol :icon_lol:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0139828/0139828_m.jpg

Gramps
December 19th, 2009, 04:28

Play nice or I'll break out mine :pop4:

Smudge
December 19th, 2009, 04:43
Pam, a very nice post there, thank you for your thoughts. For the record, I have responded to dswo's PM to me on the IRIS forums.. :) Good day to you all. :wavey:

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 05:59
Interesting thread?

I was curious as to what IRIS meant too. Guess we will never know? Somehow, this thread makes me feel a little disappointed.

Still, Iris does make nice aircraft. I wish them many, many successful years.

huub vink
December 19th, 2009, 07:20
Interesting thread?

I was curious as to what IRIS meant too. Guess we will never know? Somehow, this thread makes me feel a little disappointed.

Still, Iris does make nice aircraft. I wish them many, many successful years.

Or perhaps David (dswo) will reveil this secret in his review....

Huub

http://www.schoolmetdebijbel.com/Tweede%20leerjaar%202008-2009/iris.jpg

Roger
December 19th, 2009, 07:23
Well I'm bored so I thought I'd take a look at the IRIS forums for the answer. Needs registration so what the heck. Either I'm too thick to be considered a viable life form or the confimation code is designed by a maniac who's sole function is to keep people off the forums:isadizzy:
Needless to say I ran out of tries:pop4:

modelr
December 19th, 2009, 07:44
:kilroy:
Well I'm bored so I thought I'd take a look at the IRIS forums for the answer. Needs registration so what the heck. Either I'm too thick to be considered a viable life form or the confimation code is designed by a maniac who's sole function is to keep people off the forums:isadizzy:
Needless to say I ran out of tries:pop4:
Hmm,

I hadn't been on the IRIS forums in years, so my registration had been deleted for inactivity. Simply reregistered with my old name and password, and my original email. Recived my authorization in my next email download. Went right in, no problems.:kilroy:

dswo
December 19th, 2009, 07:48
According to DB's message, Iris doesn't stand for anything.

IanP
December 19th, 2009, 08:08
Simpering song by the Goo Goo Dolls? :)

[hides fast...]
<hides fast...=""></hides>

Dougie
December 19th, 2009, 08:13
It probably just sounded good...not even joking.

WarHorse47
December 19th, 2009, 10:23
According to DB's message, Iris doesn't stand for anything.Hmmm.... That's not going to stop me from believing the IRIS, the name of the Greek Goddess of Love, was picked as the name of the company because of Karen Love. :engel016:

--WH

dswo
December 19th, 2009, 11:11
Aphrodite was the Greek goddess of love. Iris was the messenger of Hera.

WarHorse47
December 19th, 2009, 11:41
Aphrodite was the Greek goddess of love. Iris was the messenger of Hera.Correct. I forgot some of my greek mythology. Some of the references I used on the internet were not accurate.

The Wind-Footed Messenger of the Gods

The messenger of Zeus and goddess of the Rainbow. Iris is the daughter of Thaumas and Elektra (Electra) and the wife of Zephyrus (West Wind). She flys from place to place as the faithful voice of Zeus. Her words were never doubted and her presence commands respect amongst Immortals and mortals alike. Her sisters are the winged-women known as the Harpies. When the Argonauts were trying to chase the Harpies away from the blind seer, Phineus, Zeus sent Iris to warn the aggressive sailors not to harm the Harpies. <CITE>(Argonautika, book 2, lines 288+)</CITE> <CITE>(Theogony, line 265-270)</CITE>
She plays an essential role in The Iliad as the messenger of Zeus. She is also loyal to other Immortals, such as Aphrodite (goddess of Love). When Aphrodite was wounded at Troy, Iris helped her into Ares’s war chariot and drove the injured goddess to Mount Olympos (Olympus) to be treated for her wounds.
Her name means ‘rainbow’, thus implying that her presence is a sign of Hope.

Anyways, there goes my theory... :pop4:

--WH

Henry
December 19th, 2009, 14:52
i have an Aunt Iris
does that count
H:icon_lol:

eccles
December 19th, 2009, 18:57
IRIS stands for, Insanity rules in Sweden.

And if you'll stand for that you'll stand for anything. Surpristee nahbowlers, and a merry Christmas.

eccles:wavey:

tigisfat
December 19th, 2009, 19:09
.......Even when sometimes that community can be a little more than harsh.. it makes us want to do better, and we do......

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Hey Pam, if I understand this right, :icon_lol:

The great products you guys have put out in 2009 are because I used to openly offer my negative opinions of some older IRIS products? I've offered nothing but compliments for recent releases. Maybe I've got the wrong strategy. Maybe I should start bashing them, and see what you guys come up with next. :salute:

:icon29:

Piglet
December 19th, 2009, 19:24
My dog told me...
I
Roll
In
S**t
:ernae:

tigisfat
December 19th, 2009, 21:51
I reside in stitches

I ride irate seahorses

In rhodesia I sail

into rhine if sad

It'll rope inuit sailors

I'ma randy il' sucka

invocation righteously iterated solemnly......now I've gone to far. :icon_lol: I quit

warchild
December 20th, 2009, 02:33
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Hey Pam, if I understand this right, :icon_lol:

The great products you guys have put out in 2009 are because I used to openly offer my negative opinions of some older IRIS products? I've offered nothing but compliments for recent releases. Maybe I've got the wrong strategy. Maybe I should start bashing them, and see what you guys come up with next. :salute:

:icon29:

:::LOL:: Is THAT why i havent felt loved recently ::LOL::
Thanks Tig.. definately needed a giggle :) :)