PDA

View Full Version : Need hardware advice

Kofschip
October 30th, 2008, 17:26
My wife has indicated a "need" for a foto printer for her Dell Inspiron 1720 (Vista). I have been assured by her that this need will turn critical at Christmas. Preliminary indications by her are that 5 x 7 are an adequate size for her requirements. Does anybody have a recommendations and/or good and/or bad experiences. Thanks K.:wavey:

hey_moe
October 31st, 2008, 02:33
I have tried serval different ones. The wife has a top of the line HP Photo printer that does a nice job and I have a Canon all in one that we use all the time. The Canon has been the best for both of us. We print lots of pictures of the grand kids and they are nice and crisp. Neve had a minute problem with either one so far. The HP is a ink hog but does ok with prints...Mike

Henry
October 31st, 2008, 06:59
I have always had good luck with epson
but i use the large ones im not familiar with the smaller size
models
they are good though

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/h1.jpg

bit big for the den :costumes:
H

Kofschip
October 31st, 2008, 09:47
Is that a picture of you at work Henry? :costumes::costumes:

Thanks both of you for your replies. My wife is looking for something that is a bit more portable, that she can set up on the table beside her laptop, rather than running a 30 some ft cable to my HP "all-in-one" printer. Oh boy, that "all-in-one" sounds a bit out of place here. :d I guess that I have to do a bit more scratching, and while I am typing this, PCWorld comes to mind, I think I'll do some checking there. Anyway, thanks again both of you. -- K :wavey:

PS Hey_Moe, it is the same story here, she wants to print pictures of the grandkids.

hey_moe
October 31st, 2008, 20:27
Linda prints a lot of grand kid pictures for her desk at work...we also make prints of our vacations,birthdays...ect..ect...the Canon so far for us does the best job and they also have great customer support....Mike

Kofschip
November 1st, 2008, 14:58
I am beginning to lean towards the Canon. Moe, can you give me the model number that you have? Thanks, K :wavey:

Now on to the next project. She wants a greenhouse for her orchids. I guess nobody here can help me with that.:banghead::banghead:

hey_moe
November 1st, 2008, 17:38
Mp830

Kofschip
November 2nd, 2008, 16:13
Thanks Hey_Moe. -- K:wavey:

GT182
December 16th, 2008, 17:06
Now on to the next project. She wants a greenhouse for her orchids. I guess nobody here can help me with that.:banghead::banghead:

How about a Koi pond to go with the orchids Kofs? They sure would look pretty together. ;)

Kofschip
December 17th, 2008, 17:33
We already have a pond with 21 giant goldfish, ranging from 8 - 14 inches in length. I also have a railroad going around it, G scale with two Spectrum engines, a Mogul and a Shay.:d:d

GT182
January 5th, 2009, 08:32
How about 3 Koi, that are 18 to 22"s and weigh about 12 t0 15 lbs or more, to go with those little Goldfish? LOL

Moparmike
January 6th, 2009, 06:38
Kind of on the same subject...

Has anyone here had a chance to check out the new Kodak photo printers like the 5100 or 5300?
They're supposedly running a pigment-based ink which should be longer lasting than the regular ink especially when used on Kodak photo paper. I'm not sure how much of it is new technology (on the consumer level) and how much is just marketing tactics yet though...I haven't read too many long-term reviews on em yet.
I wouldn't mind picking one up for my small prints if it does turn out to give results close to having small prints done commercially but until then I'm still using Walgreens for my printing.

winslow33
January 10th, 2009, 16:35
This thread might be out of date by now, but I'm just putting this out there while I'm in the neigbourhood:
I wouldn't recomend Kodak 5100. My sister bought one last june and has already had to buy 2 new print heads. And she rarely uses the thing! Takes a lot of ink too.

Moparmike
January 11th, 2009, 15:45
This thread might be out of date by now, but I'm just putting this out there while I'm in the neigbourhood:
I wouldn't recomend Kodak 5100. My sister bought one last june and has already had to buy 2 new print heads. And she rarely uses the thing! Takes a lot of ink too.

That's the kind of news, or more correctly actual long-term user reviews, that I've been digging for on those new Kodaks...
Kodak has been marketing them as using less ink and cheaper cartridges than the other guys so I had been curious on if that's true or just marketing hookum. From your review and a few others I've read online apparently the ink useage is more of a marketing fib.
I'm still hoping that they at least pave the way for more home photo printers that use decent long-lasting ink.

Thanks winslow!

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 16:31
She's had so many problems with that printer now in under a year I've lost count! Print head failures, plenty of paper jams, and on top of that the ink life!:faint: