PDA

View Full Version : Over 800 Chihuahua's (dogs) homeless in Arizona

Lionheart
December 17th, 2009, 19:51
Hey all,

Tonight I saw a news report that Phoenix has over 800 Chihuahua's in their homeless animal shelters through out Phoenix and the outlying towns (Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale, etc).

After seeing that thread with dogs the other day, I thought of you all. If anyone wants a little Chihuahua, this is the land that seems to have all the extra's.

They can be wild little things (filled with energy). There are different kinds as well. Some of these little dudes are old, some are puppies. All need a nice home.

So, if someone has been wanting a dog and lives near here or can import one from here, now is your time.

For those that do not know how to pronounce Chihuahua, its said like this;

Chee Wah Wah....

(not Chee hooo-ahh hoo-ahh ) lol.. :d

Photos below. Yes, Chee Hoo-ahh Hoo-ahh's do like to wear Toopay's (however that is spelled), do skin diving off the coast of Mexico, and date famous cute blond women with lots of money.

Bill

Chacha
December 17th, 2009, 19:55
Do they have homeless parrots?

I need one for Hannah...

I need the African Grays, they live longer! :engel016:

Ooops... Sorry,

Are we talking about dogs?

Toupee - noun.... a patch of false hair for covering a bald spot
..... ..... .... a man's wig...

Lionheart
December 17th, 2009, 20:25
HIJACKER!!!!!!

My brother (with orange hair) had an African Gray. Neat bird. Alex though (spanish redhead and looked similar to my brother including the red feathers, though my brothers hair is brighter), was an awesome guy. He was old and yet youngish. Loved kids. He tried to bite my eye out. I was trying to teach him to say 'Bonjour' though, so the anti-french 'revolt' is understandable. I think the French and the Spanish have always had their differences..

I could be wrong though..

Chacha
December 17th, 2009, 20:33
HIJACKER!!!!!!

I said Sorry!... They heard me.... I have witnesses! :engel016:

OBIO
December 17th, 2009, 20:46
No dog should ever be subjected to Paris Hilton. That is just cruel beyond all measure.

California has so many Chihuahuas in their dog shelters, especially in the LA area, that they are shipping the little doggies to other states to increase their chances of being adopted.

After "famous" people like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richey, et al began carrying Chihuahuas around like living purses, every brainless twit just had to have one. And that movie "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" made them a very popular breed and people went crazy over them and bought them by the thousands....only to find out that Chihuahuas are not passive, meek little dogs...they can be nippy, scrappy, yappy, and rotten. And they are not well suited for life with younger children.

I don't particularly like Chihuahuas.....though I have 2 that I dearly love....but I am saddened over the plight of all those little cast-off doggies. Chihuahuas are not dogs that I would pick if I were to pick a dog..but the wife wanted a Chihuahua when I had Spud (the doggie in my avatar) and he was glued to me like a third hip. So, we got her Brutus (3/4 Chihuahua 1/4 Jack Russell)...and wouldn't you know it....he glued himself to me like a 4th hip LOL! Then Spud died of seizures at 17 months old and Brutus became ever more MY dog.....I didn't steal him from Deb...he just migrated to me on his own. Then Deb surprised me with Hazel...though I really believe that she bought Hazel for herself and was just using the gift for me thing as an excuse to get herself a Chihuahua. Well, Hazel is glued to me like a second heart...that little dog is mine beyond any shadow of a doubt and she (Hazel) isn't afraid to let people know who she belongs to.

OBIO

OleBoy
December 18th, 2009, 00:21
The pet owners should be the ones in the animal shelters

harleyman
December 18th, 2009, 02:27
I hope they all find good homes Bill..

Hopefully this thread will help one get rescued...

My sister has two, or had, not sure now, but they yapped all day and loved to run behind you and bite your ankles....They were abnoxious at best...

jmig
December 18th, 2009, 03:43
That is one dog I never did like. I consider them to be obnoxious little $h*ts and a rat. I have never been able to figure out how one little animal can put out so much noise. One top of this they are cowards.

I am sure if I owned one, I would love it. However, when I was a teenager they were popular lap dogs. My first girlfriend had one. He and I never got along. :icon_lol: He knew my intentions.

I had a good friend who's parents had one. This dog would just bark and bark until you pretended to make a move toward it. It would then try to run behind the couch to escape. However, its nails (which always needed to be trimmed) would slip on the hard food flood and it wouldn't get much traction.

It was quite funny to my demented teenage mind to see its paws going about twice as fast as it was.

I too hope these dogs find a good home. I may not want one but, I am sure there are a lot of people who would benefit from such a pet. And the dog would benefit from such an owner.

Snuffy
December 18th, 2009, 05:04
Ankle biters ... and noise boxes ...

Are these all pure bred? Or are they what's left over from illegal aliens crossing the borders?

Pack em up and send em home ... let mexico deal with em.

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 06:58
Has anyone seen "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" yet? All those Phoenix ones must be the extras...

Lionheart
December 18th, 2009, 07:34
Years ago, (way many years ago) my mother had a Maltese white long haired Maltese dog named Boregard or Boggie for short. This was the meanest little yelper you had ever met. Treated humanity like varmits, except for mom.

Years later, he passed on.

Then mom got another. I thought... 'Why??????' But.. This new little guy, 'Tiny', was the neatest, kindest, coolest little guy. I dont think he was mad at anyone, not one day or moment in his life. Totally different personality.

I guess maybe 'most' of them follow in the footsteps of their DNA programming and instincts, but I think that each one has their own personality and can be so different from each other in their own special ways.

Im glad I have my little buddy Junior. If only he would let me drive the car once in a while.

At least he helps me keep it clean... :d

Bill

Bjoern
December 18th, 2009, 08:04
Urgh, small dogs, the most aggressive of them all. Freakin' XXL-sized rats.

I second ChaCha's motion for adopting a homeless parrot though. It might liven things up around here, but I doubt I could ever make him/her like me enough to stay on my shoulder all the time when going out (coolness...squared!)...or at least come back at the end of the day.

Terry
December 18th, 2009, 08:13
Do they have homeless parrots?

I need one for Hannah...

I need the African Grays, they live longer! :engel016:

Ooops... Sorry,

Are we talking about dogs?

Toupee - noun.... a patch of false hair for covering a bald spot
..... ..... .... a man's wig...

Good plan, get an African gray congo, they make a great pet. As I sit here writing this my parrot is yelling "Merry Christmas........bah humbug".

Odie
December 18th, 2009, 09:21
My Grandmother had 2 many years ago, and they seemed to be 1-person dogs. She lived by herself and they wouldn't have anything to do with anyone else. I hate to see that so many are languishing...

Cazzie
December 18th, 2009, 09:32
Ankle biters ... and noise boxes ...

Are these all pure bred? Or are they what's left over from illegal aliens crossing the borders?

Pack em up and send em home ... let mexico deal with em.

Make a better meal than they do a pet, I think the Koreans call it "Pagogi" (Pa-goh-gee). :bump:

Caz

OBIO
December 18th, 2009, 09:56
Hazel, our (my) Chihuahua isn't like the average Chi. She isn't yappy, she isn't shakey, she isn't a chicken. She barks when something needs barked at....a car pulling into the drive, a plane or helo flying over the house, sometimes an odd sound on the TV. She does bark a lot when company first arrives...simply because she isn't used to other people being in our house....but she settles down fairly quickly. She is bold and will not be pushed around. Just last night, Brutus, our 12 pound Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix, growled at Hazel because she got to close to him while he was finishing off a cookie....that growl sent her into "I'm gonna whoop you like a red-headed step-child" mode and she went at him like Elin Whatshername went after Tiger Woods with that 9-iron. Hazel fetches like she was born to do nothing else. We did not have to teach her to fetch....she just did it. I'm glad that she is not like a normal Chihuahua...all yappy, rattish, shakey, skittish. I can't stand Chihuahuas (most small dogs) for those reasons. I have always said that Hazel is actually a Yellow Lab and Boxer mix that got hit by a shrinking ray.

Brutus, who is 3/4 Chi, isn't like a Chi either....he takes most of his personality from the 1/4 Jack Russell in his blood. Hyper-active, tough, strong, very athletic, surprisingly fast. Muscle! That fella is all muscle and no fat....he is so lean that when he gets his yearly shots, the shots burn him since there is almost no fat layer for the shots to be injected into.

OBIO

brad kaste
December 18th, 2009, 12:55
The Aztecs used to raise dogs and turkeys for food. Today's Chihuahuas are decedents from this dog. They're still bred today in Mexico,....but not for food. [Or at least I don't think so!] They're called Sholos....short for the Aztec word 'xoloitzcuinti.' Like Chihuahuas,...they're kinda' cute or kinda' ugly,...depends on how you look at them.
The first time I saw a group of Sholos was in a diorama as a youngster on a field trip to the Chicago Field museum. It depicted every day life of the Aztecs. Beautifully constructed and rendered. Then I read the plaque about these pooches being raised to be eaten for food. Yikes! Man,...glad the closet thing I ever got to eating a dog was a Vienna one between two buns......

Chacha
December 18th, 2009, 13:00
Good plan, get an African gray congo, they make a great pet. As I sit here writing this my parrot is yelling "Merry Christmas........bah humbug".

Thanks Terry! :engel016:

OBIO
December 18th, 2009, 14:15
A parrot story....

Deb and I went to a neighboring town to a really killer fish shop...the guy carries some very hard to find exotic species of fish...the kind I like the most but can't afford to buy or to properly house...$600 for a Tiger Shovelnose baby that will grow to 6 feet or so and need close to 1000 gallons of water to live in....way beyond my fish keeping budget.

Anyhow, Chris got this parrot given to him by an older couple who were moving into a retirement village and could not take their parrot. This parrot was 30 years old or so and when it was young and learning to talk, the lady would babysit their grandchildren while their parents were at work. So, the parrot learned to talk like a houseful of 2, 3, 4 and 5 year old kids.

For the first 4 hours of the day, this parrot will scream at the top of it lungs stuff like: I want a cookie. He touched me! Give me my car! I'm telling! I need to potty. Where's my blanket? Four hours of non-stop whining and crying and wanting and telling. From opening to about noon, the parrot is a room full of pre-school brats. Then about lunch time, the bird will go into a deep deep depression and just sit on its perch with its head hanging low and not make a sound.

Chris has been offered some serious loot for that Scarlet Macaw, but he says that there isn't enough money in the world to part him and that bird. He gave the old couple his word that he would keep the bird and give it a good home for the rest of its days...and he intends to stick to that promise.

OBIO

Piglet
December 18th, 2009, 20:27
Ankle Sharks! Due to the huge Hispanic population in SoCal, and the SouthWest U.S., Chihuahua's are EVERYWHERE! In the streets, shopping carts, back window shelfs in cars, rain gutters, etc.

Dain Arns
December 19th, 2009, 12:27
Ankle Sharks! Due to the huge Hispanic population in SoCal, and the SouthWest U.S., Chihuahua's are EVERYWHERE! In the streets, shopping carts, back window shelfs in cars, rain gutters, etc.

You can thank Disney and Paris Hilton as well...

UPDATE:
Looks like many will be finding homes all across the U.S. this Christmas thanks to American Airlines and Virgin America

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34490971/ns/us_news-giving/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34490971/ns/us_news-giving/)

Lionheart
December 19th, 2009, 17:23
Awww.. Man, that is awesome.

I hope they find good families and turn out to be the best pets they ever had..

God bless them for doing that..

:engel016: :applause: :engel016:

Bill

Piglet
December 19th, 2009, 19:51
Dain,
After Hurri Katrina, several airliners were chartered to fly pets to new homes across the nation. The flight crews said that the pets were the best passengers they ever had!