PDA

View Full Version : Dumb and dumber, lol

falcon409
December 17th, 2009, 19:27
I don't mind relating this and I'm hoping someone else has done something similar so I don't regret it, lol.

I have been working on a new panel bitmap for the PAD Seabee. I did one yesterday and had the layered version on my desktop working on it. I enlarged the original to 2048x2048 to get better detail and when I had it where I wanted it, I reduced the image and saved to the texture folder. I went back to undo the reduction and it wouldn't and to make matters worse, the program locked up and I had to reboot to clear it. Of course when I reloaded it (it's supposed to autosave every 2 minutes), all my previous work was gone, nothing had been "autosaved". That's the dumb part.

This morning I redid everything, saving manually every so often. Got it done, saved it to the texture file and closed the new version (with layers) and I was happy. Next I opened FSPanel Studio, loaded the panel and got ready to start adjusting the gauges in the VC to fit the new layout correctly. Got the Seabee loaded in FSX and started the process. Moved the gauges, saved, reloaded the airplane. . .nothing changed. . .moved some more gauges, reloaded the airplane, nothing changed. . .I bet I moved every gauge, switch, lever and radio a dozen times and it refused to show any changes in the VC once I reloaded the airplane. I even checked the panel folder and sure enough, FSPS had made a dozen backups for each recurring change I had done. . .I was stumped. . .the panel config. was changing, why couldn't I see the changes in the VC.

This is the dumber part. . . .ready? I just sat down, loaded the airplane again, opened FSPS and loaded the panel and it hit me. . . .I was moving gauges on the 2D panel, not the VC, LMAO. Here I am moving stuff like crazy on the main 2D panel and checking the VC to see the changes, lol. Doh!!!:isadizzy:

DB93
December 17th, 2009, 19:55
LOL! No worries, you're not alone.

When I was hand-editing the default panels to prevent them from stretching horrendously across my TH2G, I started working on the C172. Did the regular version, fixed the stretching, worked great, time to move on to the next panel.

Next up, C172 Glass Cockpit version. I open up the panel.cfg file in notepad, made my default 'starter' changes, and then started up FSX to check what progress has been made. I load up the plane, press SHIFT+1 to open the main panel, no panel displays and my cursor goes to the 'wait' spinning circle. This happens when panels are stretched too far, but I already 'told' the main panel to be 1/3 normal width (Window_Size=0.333, 1.000), so it shouldn't be doing that.

I exit FS (because leaving it with the spinning cursor is just asking for an eventual crash), then go back to the open panel.cfg file. I figured I better try and cut that main panel width back even further, so I bring it down to 0.111. I save the file, start FSX back up, get back into the plane, open the main panel, again, no panel and a spinning wait cursor. Another edit to the panel to bring the width down even further, now it's at around 0.05. Back into FSX, problem still exists.

Now I'm getting frustrated and doing a fair bit of cursing at FSX. Ok, one more try and I'm giving up on this panel. This time I've got the width down to 0.025. Back into FSX, same problem. Well at this point, I'm 'well screw this' (only in not such polite language), and decide I'm going to give up on it for the time being. I close out FSX, and then close the panel.cfg file that I've been editing.

When the panel.cfg file closes, the open folder behind it proudly proclaims to me (in its address bar/path display), that its showing me files from C172\Panel and NOT from C172\Panel.G1000! I'd been editing the regular C172 version the entire time!! I wasted a good hour and a half trying to track down why my changes weren't showing up in FSX, and in the end I had just forgotten to switch folders before starting to edit the panel.cfg file. :icon_lol:

I guess we've all got our moments...:redface: lol.

falcon409
December 17th, 2009, 20:04
LOL! No worries, you're not alone. . . . . .I guess we've all got our moments...:redface: lol.
lol, lol, oh man DB. . .ain't it the truth. Good one!!:salute:

FelixFFDS
December 18th, 2009, 01:47
But gentlemen - do not those incidents, by daffynition - make you "experts" in the subject?

Anyone can screw up easily enough - it takes an expert to do it with finesse - and then admit it!

wantok
December 18th, 2009, 05:20
..and the dumbest? Not saving latest work before power blackout. aarrgh..:blind:

falcon409
December 18th, 2009, 07:25
..and the dumbest? Not saving latest work before power blackout. aarrgh..:blind:
Oh yea, there's another one. . .I forgot that one, lol, lol.

DB93
December 18th, 2009, 07:46

LOL! That's one that has bit me more times than I care to count. Luckily, the investment in UPS's has at least prevented me from having that happen any more. :)