PDA

View Full Version : I'll take. Hack a UAV for 26$ Alex.

Allen
December 17th, 2009, 10:17
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/17/insurgents-hack-drones/

I thought some of us went over this posabilities in the F-22 threads. Look like they were able to get into part of it with over the counter sofwere. I fear what will be next when they get the hole UAV.

tigisfat
December 17th, 2009, 20:45
This is dissapointing, to say the least.

djscoo
December 17th, 2009, 21:07
according to a person familiar with reports on the matter

Call me a skeptic...but this is too vague for me to believe.

Allen
December 17th, 2009, 21:30
Call me a skeptic...but this is too vague for me to believe.

This story has more, with names.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_drones_hacked

djscoo
December 17th, 2009, 21:48
Ahh! interesting story...

Kiwikat
December 17th, 2009, 22:17
Reminds me of that episode of NCIS or whatever TV show that was...

:kilroy: :mixedsmi:

Allen
December 17th, 2009, 22:40
Reminds me of that episode of NCIS or whatever TV show that was...

:kilroy: :mixedsmi:

NCIS had episode were a UAV was taken an almost "used" :pop4:ed on Aircraft carrer crew when it came into port..

jmig
December 18th, 2009, 03:47
I bet Panther can tell us more about this :)

Then, I bet Panther CAN'T tell us more. :(

Trans_23
December 18th, 2009, 04:15
I heard something about this on the radio last night. They were able to hack in with software readily available on the internet. They also said your home DVD recorder has more security than the UAVs hacked into. I don't understand it. You spend a billion dollars on one of these things and figure your enemys are going to try and figure out a way to neutalize it? No these things will probaly all be grounded until they figure out a fix. :isadizzy:

paiken
December 18th, 2009, 04:48
Why wouldn't you encrypt the video feed from a "spy" platform. It boggles the mind.

tigisfat
December 18th, 2009, 06:55
I bet Panther can tell us more about this :)

Then, I bet Panther CAN'T tell us more. :(

Panther is a comm guy, and I'm sure he's proud of it. His job doesn't directly deal with or work on aircraft.:ernae:

jmig
December 18th, 2009, 09:05
Panther is a comm guy, and I'm sure he's proud of it. His job doesn't directly deal with or work on aircraft.:ernae:
Yes, but he is also in the new Cyber Command. That is what I was referencing. Still, if he knows anything it will be classified. So.... we mere peons will never know. Until it is leaked by some congressman's aide, that is.

cheezyflier
December 18th, 2009, 11:55
times like these, where is tom clancy when we need him the most?

Dangerousdave26
December 18th, 2009, 12:09
I saw this article the other day and was equally surprised like you all but I have good news.

The terrorists who were viewing the video feed did not buy the software for $26.

They downloaded it free from a torrent site. :icon_lol:

Whew for a minute I was concerned that we were hacked for $26.

Dangerousdave26
December 18th, 2009, 12:15
times like these, where is tom clancy when we need him the most?

Right now working on his new book...

The Hunt for Red Patriot Predator

Due out in October

Alternate titles

Clear and Present Predator Fears

Predators with out Remorse

Executive Order Predator Storm Rising

Rainbow Predator with Tiger Teeth

Mary Had a little Predator

At your favorite Book Store coming Soon!

Allen
December 18th, 2009, 12:31
I saw this article the other day and was equally surprised like you all but I have good news.

The terrorists who were viewing the video feed did not buy the software for $26.

Yes, that make me feel soooo much better.:banghead:

srgalahad
December 18th, 2009, 13:25
moments like this I miss Ken Stallings...

Bjoern
December 18th, 2009, 13:28

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Smileys/hammer.gif

cheezyflier
December 18th, 2009, 20:00
moments like this I miss Ken Stallings...

there were times when you could count on him to post something interesting, wasn't there?

Ken Stallings
February 4th, 2010, 19:24
The news media (as tends to always be the case) ran wild with this story and made it seem far worse than it actually was. I won't get into the specifics of what happened and why, but there was never any risk of losing control of the aicraft. Further, this is really very old news and we have tactics to keep it from happening.

Cheers,

Ken

TARPSBird
February 4th, 2010, 19:38
So they were able to watch the video feed from the Predator, that just lets them see which mud hut is about to get a Hellfire missile through the front door. No big deal. :d

Ken Stallings
February 4th, 2010, 19:59
Precisely!

Further, the reason they were able to see it is that a decision was made in real time that we could accept the risk they would be able to see it. For reasons I won't get into, we decided there was an operational benefit to using a method they could intercept, and since this happened, many other methods have been adopted to ensure they cannot while at the same time achieving the operational outcome that caused the risk in the first place.

Saying the enemy could sieze control of the RPA's makes even less sense than saying someone who steals cable TV suddenly becomes the CEO of the network he stole the video from!

Ken