PDA

View Full Version : Converted SU 109 help needed

dhasdell
December 17th, 2009, 07:57
I've just installed it, and with Rami's ETO terrain it looks as good from a distance as in FS9. Close up, however, there are two problems: the pilot has no texture, and parts of the airframe are semi-transparent. My pic just about shows both. Is there a cure, please?

Rami
December 17th, 2009, 09:05
Dhasdell,

You need Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility.
http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

The reason why you need this is because all of the textures (minus kelti's prop and the gunsight) need to be saved in a CFS2-friendly format, either DXT3 or Extended 16 bit 565.

Because the textures are 32-bit (due to it being an FS9 conversion) you get the semi-transparent / black textures.

dhasdell
December 17th, 2009, 11:02
Thanks Rami - how did I guess the first reply would be yours?

So - load into DXTbmp and save straight back in the different format - no sending to edit or anything. Do I do it with all of the files in a texture folder?

:wavey:

Rami
December 17th, 2009, 14:49
Yes. Just save the texture file in the correct format.

oldwheat
December 17th, 2009, 19:07
In CFS2 normally DXT1, DXT3 or extended 16 bit 565 are used. You can save in any of these. The last one allows you to see the actual textures in the folder but is has more KB.s. When you open up the textures in DXTbmp, you will see a gray mirror of the texture in the Alpha window. This is what renders the texture semi-transparent (Black is totally clear, white is opaque & shades of gray are different amounts of transparency). The idea is to lose the alpha channel, saving in either DXT1 -no alpha or extended 16 bit 565 will accomplish this simply.

dhasdell
December 17th, 2009, 21:36
Thank you both very much. I've converted a couple already, and all I have to do now is decide which of all those 109's to keep, bearing in mind the numbers limit in the hangar.