PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about uninstalling/reinstalling FSX....advice?

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2009, 06:16
As is usually the case, my FSX keeps getting slower and slower. Reason? I just keep adding stuff all the time. Sort of an addiction, I suppose. Eventually, the load time, and FPS takes a big hit.

So am thinking of uninstalling/reinstalling FSX again. So many addons are tied into FSX.

Is there a "check list" of recommended order of uninstall/reinstall procedures?

Thanks.

NC

dharris
December 17th, 2009, 06:26
Reloading fsx will make it load faster, but you have a recurring problem. I would look to see what is causing the problem before reinstalling everything. I go thru my aircraft every now and then and remark out alot of the repaints and that helps with the access time.

Francois
December 17th, 2009, 06:30
Your problem may also be Windows-related and not necessarily only FSX.

cheezyflier
December 17th, 2009, 07:09
i've done it 5 times, and saw an improvement every time.
i say go for it.

harleyman
December 17th, 2009, 11:50
FSX first

load a flight ..Fly a min Close

Defragg

Load Acceleration

load a flight....Fly a min....close

Defragg

Then set up the settings ..

Then add big texture files first..Defragg after each is all

FAC257
December 17th, 2009, 12:34
It may sound nuts but I've always enjoyed un-installing and re-installing MSFS when neccesary. I've found FSX to be infinitly easier and quicker to get back up to full flying status than FS9 or before ever were.

The re-install is as easy as Harleyman just posted. FSX and the Acceleration disk is all you need. No need to worry about any of the SP updates as Acceleration won't install itself without making sure your okay.

Same goes for the FSX SDKs. They only install in one order and if your out of order, the installation of the Acceleration level of the FSX SDKs will prompt you to do it the correct way before it will even proceed.

The one big mistake I think folks make in the whole process is in the de-installation. I've always followed the golden rule of un-installing everything including add-ons in the reverse order that I installed them in the first place.

Uninstall (not delete) :) addon scenerys & aircraft
Uninstall FSX utilities
Uninstall FSX SDKs
Uninstall FSX

I may be completely wrong, but my theory is not to leave behind any pieces of anything, either as a file, folder, icon or registry entry. If you un-install FSX first, it would seem to me that the un-install routines of any add-ons and utilites might get broken and force a manual delete. Manually deleting anything that has an actual uninstall routine is not a good thing in my book.

Once that starts happening, how can you be assured of a clean re-installation of anything if there are old loose end parts still dangling around.

FAC

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2009, 12:34
FSX first

load a flight ..Fly a min Close

Defragg

Load Acceleration

load a flight....Fly a min....close

Defragg

Then set up the settings ..

Then add big texture files first..Defragg after each is all

You da man, Harley. Thanks.

Pete

harleyman
December 17th, 2009, 14:16
You da man, Harley. Thanks.

Pete

Hi Pete...Its always worked for me that way as FSX tosses files everywhene on install...LOL

Paul Anderson
December 17th, 2009, 15:33
IObit free game booster program has a tab that will let you defrag games - I use it to defrag just FSX or FS9 every now and then.

GT182
December 17th, 2009, 15:54
That sounds like a nice little program Paul.

I just went to the IObit site and got this.....

Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

IP Address: 174.37.22.185

Also tried a couple of other links to their site and their download... all came up with the above.

EDIT:

Finally found a site that has it... no popup like the one above. ;) http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4842-game-booster.html

However, another another site that had a review but no download on it said....... "Use cautiously."

Paul Anderson
December 17th, 2009, 17:32
I always have running Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, Avira antivirus, with internet popups blocked.
Can sound like a geiger counter going off at some sites, but the IObit game booster program hasn't given me any problems. I'm pretty cautious.

Did have an unwanted IObit toolbar added to explorer when running their separate general disk defrag program. When I deleted toolbar, was asked why - said because I hadn't asked for it to be installed. Hasn't reappeared, but then I haven't used it for full disk(s) defrag after.

Think you can get program from Major Geeks without the initial hassle.
The game folder defrag saves a ton of time if you're concentrating on a specific folder.

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2009, 07:34
Ok, so far so good. I uninstalled all the addons I could (some of the uninstall.exe's did not work properly. Then I uninstalled Acceleration, followed by FSX itself.

What is left are, I guess, leftover addons in the FSX directory. Since the remaining Uninstall.exe's are not working correctly, do I just delete what is left???

NC

harleyman
December 18th, 2009, 07:41
YUP just delete any and all FSX related entries....

There are some in the regestry too..But no need to worry about them unless FSX will not install, and is saying its already installed when it is not

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2009, 07:42
YUP just delete any and all FSX related entries....

There are some in the regestry too..But no need to worry about them unless FSX will not install, and is saying its already installed when it is not

I say it again. You are DA MAN!

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2009, 16:19
Ok then. Uninstalled/reinstalled FSX successfully, folks.

Now begins the fun of selecting WHAT to add on!!

NC

papab
December 18th, 2009, 18:46
Ok then. Uninstalled/reinstalled FSX successfully, folks.

Now begins the fun of selecting WHAT to add on!!

NC

Take a look at this:
It helped me.....
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041