PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bit of FSX Wierdness - Need Help

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 04:51
Problem: I can select any airport and/or parking spot in Australia or Asia, but as soon as I click "Ok", FSX goes unresponsive.

I can't get access any airport in Asia or Australia in the Free Flight menu, but all of the other area's airports can be selected just fine. (Africa, South America, East and West Europe, etc etc)

Same thing happens if I actually load an airport in the US, and I am sitting in the plane, and try to switch to an airport in Asia or Australia. As soon as I select it and hit "Ok" FSX goes unresponsive.

Have tried different seasons and different times.

Unloaded all add-on sceneries, no matter what area. Unloaded all mesh. Even checked to see if it was a logbook issue.

Scenery.cfg looks fine. Tried moving Australia and Asia to different levels to force a scenery database re-write. Nothing. Of course, I really do not want to reload FSX, yet again, since I just finished up with the last reload from this September.

Really stumped on this one... :kilroy:

Daube
December 17th, 2009, 05:30
Could it be a problem on the hardrive, that would prevent the system from accessing the specific scenery files ?
Try a chkdsk.

Francois
December 17th, 2009, 06:36
Sounds much like your files for the area are missing or corrupt. Tried a repair yet?

cheezyflier
December 17th, 2009, 07:07
that sounds scary. i would be interested in hearing what the problem is, if you ever figure it out.

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 11:49
Could it be a problem on the hardrive, that would prevent the system from accessing the specific scenery files ?
Try a chkdsk.

Amazing how easy it is to forget the old ways.

CHKDSK determined the HD is solid. 100%. Thanks for jogging my memory though and it definitely was something to check. :applause:

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 12:21
Sounds much like your files for the area are missing or corrupt. Tried a repair yet?

Tried the repair, same situation. :kilroy:

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 12:26
What I was doing at the time. I had just installed Orbx Tasmania Demo to see if my system could run it, as a check to see if it will be able to handle PNW when it is released. I used the FTX Central panel as described in the PDF. I couldn't load any Tasmanian airports after installation, nor as I found out later any airports in Australia or Asia. I know my default install was working, as I recently had made a flight plan to travel to all of the airports in Tasmania for the reward badge from FS-Shipyards.

I have uninstalled the Tasmania demo per the instructions in the PDF, but the problem persists. I really don't see how this could be related, but now I am beginning to have doubts. I can't seem to find a related issue on the FTX support forum.

I'm going to be a real unhappy camper if this demo was the cause of this, and I have to reinstall FSX again.

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 13:32
For giggles, tried re-installing the Tasmanian demo. After I use FTX Central to set the scenery, I can see Launceston change aircraft parking from default to FTX and back. But I hit "Ok" in either case, FSX locks.

I don't understand this problem. Simply selecting an airport in the Free Flight menu should not lock it up. I could see it during loading in the sim, such as a corrupted texture file or airport file, but not during the selection process in the main menu. And certainly not two continental areas. It's rather odd the rest of the planet works fine.

Yes, I'm getting really frustrated at this point. :angryfir:

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 14:29
Ugh, I found it, finally. I don't understand it, but I solved it. Thanks for all of the help everyone. :isadizzy:

It was the winter scenery option for my Lama X helicopter add on. Soon as I turned it off, I could select any airport in Australia or Asia and pop immediately back to the Main Menu. How a scenery in the Alps affects another part of the FSX world is beyond me.

Nothing like wasting half a good day on that... :173go1: