PDA

View Full Version : New FSX A-4 Skyhawk

Naki
December 16th, 2009, 22:43
Just released is this A-4K by Frat Bros Design. Represents the modernised (and now sadly stored) RNZAF Skyhawk.:gameon:

http://www.fratbrosdesign.com/

waka172rg
December 16th, 2009, 22:57
Its great some screenshot here...http://nzff.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11072&pid=8252564&st=0&#entry8252564
:ernae:

Quixoticish
December 17th, 2009, 00:12
Something about it just doesn't look quite right to me. It might be fine and the low quality screenshots aren't helping, but I'm going to hang fire on this one and see if anyone else takes the plunge first.

VaporZ
December 17th, 2009, 01:38
Very interesting FSX project

26,95 NZD $ convert to around 19,00 USD $
Quite affordable !
Is there any repaint kit with this package ?
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

peter12213
December 17th, 2009, 03:18
Doesn't look like payware to me!

Bjoern
December 17th, 2009, 03:32
*Sigh*

The best version of them all...but payware... :|

tigisfat
December 17th, 2009, 07:54
I don't think they got the model quite right, but I commend them for bringing a much-wanted product to the market.

DaveKDEN
December 17th, 2009, 08:08
Sorry to say, but I see lots of freeware now-a-days that beats the quality of that. Don't mean to be too critical, but there's no comparison to current payware standards.

peter12213
December 17th, 2009, 08:59
I agree the model and vc just don't look quality enough for me to pay for it unfortunately, even if I'm despirate for a scooter this one is a pass for me also!

Smudge
December 17th, 2009, 14:35
Ahh guys, we've all got to start somewhere... :)

Bjoern
December 17th, 2009, 14:58
Ahh guys, we've all got to start somewhere... :)

But with payware? D:

Naki
December 17th, 2009, 15:45
But with payware? D:

There are some Freeware aircraft available at Fratbrosdesign if you looked; including a Seasprite, CT-4E and a Strikemaster plus a donationware Airtourer.

I posted the link as I thought somebody might be interested in a Scooter and the price is pretty reasonable. If you dont like it dont buy it!

Personally I am saving my bikkies for the Sibwings Cessna Bird dog but I expect I will be paying a lot higher price for the higher quality of the Bird dog

wilycoyote4
December 17th, 2009, 15:45
The title of the thread says "New FSX A-4 Skyhawk" but it is an A-4K Skyhawk used by New Zealand but I think all of them are mothballed at this time. The first post does state it is an A-4K.

After a google, it is a modified A-4K known as as a KAHU updated model.

Oops, posted at about the same time.

It was one of the last modified Skyhawks and has a basic similarity to the much older original Skyhawks. Many changes are in the latest aircraft.

Naki
December 17th, 2009, 16:00
Thats correct - basically F-16 avionics have been crammed into the A-4 airframe and I believe there maybe some external differences including a recontoured nose profile (correct me if I'm wrong) to fit the APG-66 radar. The converted Skyhawks are called "Kahus" (Maori for Hawk).

The A-4s are for sale and are currently mothballed after our shortsighted Labour govt got rid of out air combat force (just after September 2001! :kilroy:). The previous govt had ordered via a lease deal, F-16s (at a bargain price) to replace them but this was cancelled by the Labour govt.

The A-4s suppose to have been sold (along with the Aermacchi MB-339s) to a private company in the US for aggressor and other quasi military purposes but the sale was delayed for years by constant delays by the US govt refusal to release them due to their supposedly advanced systems (I could get more political here but I won't)..the US have just approved the sale but now we find out the company that wants to buy them hasn't got the dough (what a fiasco!). In the meantime its costs millions to keep them servicable. There is now talk of putting some of the Aermacchis back in service...I doubt it myself. They may as well put the Skyhawks in a museums and release the remaining to the warbird faternity.

Nije
December 17th, 2009, 16:24
Hi guys
I'm sorry if some of you don't find the package to your liking. It is the base release of what will be an ongoing development with planned patch releases and repaints etc down the track.
I believe the cost reflects the quality of the package hence its cheap payware. You have to understand that in excess of 600 hours have been spent on modelling and more so writing custom gauges and animations etc. The sound package is also a payware item but is included in the package. So taking into account any proceeds that go to PAYPAL, and SKYSONG for their contributions it IS pretty cheap.
I balance my releases with freeware so am not unreasonable in my expectations.
Any money that comes from this and any other releases goes back into development of future products. I am merely trying to generate enough for a much needed upgrade.

Have a good holiday season folks, be safe.
Regards
Nigel Booth :applause:
Frat Bros Design

MCDesigns
December 17th, 2009, 17:06
Hi Nigel, great post and welcome to SOH (and the fun world of payware, LOL)

Don't let the critics get you down, just keep doing the best you can and I look forward to your next works! :ernae:

falcon409
December 17th, 2009, 20:45
Yea folks, Smudge is right, everyone has to get their feet wet sometime and the fact that it's payware isn't a bad thing really. As we've already seen in this thread, there are folks who find it lacking and that's their prerogative to say so, just keep it on a constructive level. I'm sure Nigel would appreciate the critiques as a way of possibly making future models even that much better.

It is, after all, up to you to buy or not. . .no pressure either way.

Nigel, as Michael mentioned, don't let the negatives keep you from building better and better models. You've got a good start here and we look forward to future offerings. Welcome to SOH, by the way!!:salute:

tigisfat
December 17th, 2009, 21:06
The price is certainly not cheap.

deathfromafar
December 17th, 2009, 21:11
The exchange rate puts it at roughly $19US.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

stansdds
December 18th, 2009, 02:08
$19 U.S. is pretty cheap for payware these days. If you want an FSX scooter, you really don't have much choice. I've looked at the screen shots and I think they look bad because of either a lack of anti-aliasing when the shots were made or the image compression used on the posted images.

There isn't much information given, such as is the virtual cockpit fully clickable and is there a paint kit?

harleyman
December 18th, 2009, 03:44
Welcome Nije.....

Keep up the good work...its looking good..

you must overlook the nay sayers here..

Some think that if a rivet is out of place its not payware quality....

I just ignor them.....LOL

And when / if they got to rough we simply close the offending thread....hint ...

Our policy is to not let developer bashing get out of hand..(maybe not bashing, but to critical)

Feel free to post away....

jmig
December 18th, 2009, 04:03
Nije, I would like to welcome you also. I wish you good luck in your new venture. Ido have a comment that might help you sell more.

I went to your website and looked at the airplane. Since I am a real pilot, I spend most of my time in the VC and they are important to me.

There was only one picture of the VC that I could see. I never could keep it on long enough to really study it to my satisfaction. I think it would be helpful if you had stationary shots that were large enough to study. If nothing else, post some good screen shots of the cockpit and plane.

I would be interested in purchasing the plane. But, honestly, I have a hard time justifying the $20 if I can't see what I might be getting.

As for the nay sayers, I have more than one airplane of which I spent more than $20 that I flew once or twice and never again. Most of these aircraft were made by well known developers. And, very little freeware approchases that of payware these days. I can count the people who make hi-quality freeware on one hand.

Quixoticish
December 18th, 2009, 04:04
Hi guys
I'm sorry if some of you don't find the package to your liking. It is the base release of what will be an ongoing development with planned patch releases and repaints etc down the track.
I believe the cost reflects the quality of the package hence its cheap payware. You have to understand that in excess of 600 hours have been spent on modelling and more so writing custom gauges and animations etc. The sound package is also a payware item but is included in the package. So taking into account any proceeds that go to PAYPAL, and SKYSONG for their contributions it IS pretty cheap.
I balance my releases with freeware so am not unreasonable in my expectations.
Any money that comes from this and any other releases goes back into development of future products. I am merely trying to generate enough for a much needed upgrade.

Have a good holiday season folks, be safe.
Regards
Nigel Booth :applause:
Frat Bros Design

Hi Nigel, thanks for your input. I'm just not sold based on the quality of the screenshots but would love a good A-4, I don't suppose you can produce some nice high res, anti-aliased screenshots to help tempt some more would-be-purchasers into buying?

IanP
December 18th, 2009, 04:22
I don't suppose you can produce some nice high res, anti-aliased screenshots to help tempt some more would-be-purchasers into buying?

Yup. Where's Nick when we need him? :d

(He was actually last heard of trying to do screenshots of about twenty things before their release, painting a house and failing spectacularly to be anywhere close to ready for Christmas...)

harleyman
December 18th, 2009, 04:46
Yup. Where's Nick when we need him? :d

(He was actually last heard of trying to do screenshots of about twenty things before their release, painting a house and failing spectacularly to be anywhere close to ready for Christmas...)

LOL @ Nick and his house painting struggles...

Thanks for letting us know....:icon29:

Bjoern
December 18th, 2009, 07:50
Thats correct - basically F-16 avionics have been crammed into the A-4 airframe and I believe there maybe some external differences including a recontoured nose profile (correct me if I'm wrong) to fit the APG-66 radar. The converted Skyhawks are called "Kahus" (Maori for Hawk).

They also have a new engine (F100?).

The big advantage of the F-16 avionics suite is that it eliminated a lot of weight and the hump on the back of the plane, making it aerodynamically more effective. The improved air-to-air capability turned the A-4 into a good all-round aircraft, kind of like a smaller F-4.

Shame that they got canned that early.

Naki
December 21st, 2009, 15:23
No, no new engine..still pretty capable air to air though, considering it was an attack aircraft..some RNZAF A-4s have known to have "shot down" RAAF F-18s and RN Sea Harriers in exercises.

The only Skyhawks that I know that wre re-engined were the Singaporean Skyhawks and these were re-engined with F404s..I am pretty sure the F100 wouldnt fit.

There was nothing in the "hump" of the RNZAF "humped" A-4s as these were suppose to have filled with electronics later in their life which never happened. The extra Skyhawks the RNZAF bought off the Royal Australian Navy never had humps.

TheOptimist
December 21st, 2009, 16:18
And, very little freeware approchases that of payware these days. I can count the people who make hi-quality freeware on one hand.

- Tim Conrad
- Dave Garwood
- Dino Cattaneo
- Rollus
- Kimitaka Nishida
- Ivan Jurcaga
- Danny Garnier

Completely off the top of my head, and only those who produce aircraft that I normally fly. The list basically exludes any;

- Scenery
- Textures
- GA aircraft
- Commercial aircraft
- Repaints
- Sound packages
- Carriers.

etc etc.

If I spent a day I could easily find 60/70 freeware developers that make some payware develops look like amateurs.

MCDesigns
December 21st, 2009, 16:39
- Tim Conrad
- Dave Garwood
- Dino Cattaneo
- Rollus
- Kimitaka Nishida
- Ivan Jurcaga
- Danny Garnier

Danny Garnier creates his own aircraft? I was under the impression that he just uploads ports of others FS9 work. Got any links to original work?

TheOptimist
December 21st, 2009, 18:03
Danny Garnier creates his own aircraft? I was under the impression that he just uploads ports of others FS9 work. Got any links to original work?

I could have sworn he's done some of his own aircraft. I might be mistaken, I've got enough freeware aircraft to get confused.

Regardless, the point still stands. There are certainly more than 5 'quality' freeware developers out there.

Bjoern
December 22nd, 2009, 17:35
No, no new engine..still pretty capable air to air though, considering it was an attack aircraft..some RNZAF A-4s have known to have "shot down" RAAF F-18s and RN Sea Harriers in exercises.

The only Skyhawks that I know that wre re-engined were the Singaporean Skyhawks and these were re-engined with F404s..I am pretty sure the F100 wouldnt fit.

Oops, got them confused with the SU.
You're right, the Ks didn't receive a new engine.

The A-4 is nothing but a dogfighter with bombs and rockets. I don't believe for a second that Ed Heinemann didn't have a small air-to-air role in mind when he designed this plane.

Regardless, the point still stands. There are certainly more than 5 'quality' freeware developers out there.

Actually more since quality is in the eye of the beholder.

CBris
December 22nd, 2009, 18:10
But with payware? D:

Visit their site, checkout their freeware offerings. They have a CT4, a Seasprite and a BAC Strikemaster.

Judge them fairly - you don't have to pay...

And to those who say it looks odd - compare to real world photos of the K.

Although I saw the Kuwait Airforce Skyhawks (all that were left in November 90) and they looked totally different too - with their "Camel humps"