PDA

View Full Version : HU FW4 Stieglitz

sandar
December 16th, 2009, 11:40
If anyone is interested A.F. Scrub has released a FW44 Stieglitz a German WWII biplane trainer available at www.flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com)

I have no idea if it is any good, I haven't tried it yet, but I have been on the lookout for one of these for ages.

Z-claudius24
December 16th, 2009, 17:49
Hi,

Just out of the test ....
Nice model ...
The flight model must be perfectible. (noze go down when taking off)
But what ruin this plane is the contacts points problems or something else related :blind:
Scrub usually produce better planes (Spits and Firefly's)
Maybe will have a deeper look on when time allow.

http://i47.tinypic.com/o6cgau.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/dx1xy0.jpg

Z-claudius24
December 17th, 2009, 12:50
Hi,

If some interested .. (seem's some can .. as 172 views ! :) ) you can test those modifications and compare it on ground and flying with the original release ...

Modif contacts points:

point.0 = 1, -15.666667, 0, -1.2, 1377.952756, 0, 0.509084, 75, 0.43785, 2.5, 1.226944, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0
point.1 = 1, 4.5, -4.583333, -4.8, 1968.503937, 1, 0.509084, 0, 0.2, 1.25, 0.6, 3, 3, 2, 0, 0
point.2 = 1, 4.5, 4.583333, -4.8, 1968.503937, 2, 0.509084, 0, 0.2, 1.25, 0.6, 5, 5, 3, 0, 0

Modif air file is in the attachement.
Please delete the .txt

OleBoy
December 17th, 2009, 16:30
Saw this one over at flightsim. Never downed it though. Figured someone would mention it here in the house. Didn't look bad though.

Claudius. Or shall I start calling you Dr. Claudius? It fits you perfectionatley...lol. One of the Mr. Tweak-It guys here.

I like the golden oldies for sure..

Out of curiosity, why do some creators never respond here. Ahhh..I get it. Closet Modelers :running:

robert41
December 17th, 2009, 17:42
Thanks for the HU Sandar, and the mods Claudius.

Mick
December 17th, 2009, 19:36
Now if only someone would paint it in a pre-war livery...

Wild Bill Kelso
December 18th, 2009, 05:10
Now if only someone would paint it in a pre-war livery...

What about this one?
http://www.dorotheen.de/fly/fw.htm

Sure there will be some space left in my paint shack...

Cheers,
Markus.

Wild Bill Kelso
December 18th, 2009, 07:10
Hmmm - I'm not quite sure how this one will come out...

Thanks anyway for your tweaks, Claudius! :applause:

This fabric-covered thingy is new to me, and as the model is rather simple, there will be a lot of fiddling on highligts and shadows needed to make it appear like it should...

The default textures this Stieglitz comes with seem to be scanned out of a print, so everything has to be redrawn.

First shot:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/stieglitz1.jpg

Don't mind this spooky semi-transparency, the alpha is set way too strong yet.

I'm not quite convinced whether this one is about to be finshed...

Mick
December 18th, 2009, 08:00
OK, here's one. I just uploaded it.

Per the ReadMe: "A repaint of A.F. Scrub's Fw.44 in the livery of the one operated by the Commemorative Air Force. I have no idea whether or not this is an authentic pre-war German livery. Repaint by Mick, based on A.F. Scrub's original textures."

I might be tempted to do another one, maybe one with the upper fuselage decking in gray instead of red, but holiday madness is upon us and time is in short supply...

For now I just wanted one decent pre-war paint.

sandar
December 18th, 2009, 12:52
Thanks for the mods Claudius. I haven't had the chance to try out the modified airfile yet, but I did not have a problem with the nose down attitude on take off. The tail came up at the same time as the unstick speed and I was up. The wheels did sink into the ground though.

Mick, Wild Bill K, thanks for the repaints. I will be sure to get them when they are available.

Way back in the late 1950's or very early 1960's a German friend of my dad flew from Germany to England (Coventry) in a Stieglitz. It belonged to a friend of my father's friend. Somewhere in my late dad's photo and slide archive there is a photograph of a very, very young me sitting in it, not that mush of me is visible, I was only knee high to a rat then. A few years later they flew to Coventry again, this time in a Buecker Bestman, Both aircraft where white and red.

I can't find the FW44 photo, but I did find the Bestman one

Z-claudius24
December 18th, 2009, 13:22
Hi,

Thank's for the new skin .. and good luck for the Kelso project :ernae:

Mick
December 18th, 2009, 14:36
Here's another one, uploading as I type this.

I took the colors and markings from a photo, but the photo seemed to depict a restored warbird, so like the previous paint, I have no idea whether this is an authentic pre-war Luftwaffe livery.

This is all the paints I have time for, but for those who might be interested in doing more, there are a gazillion photos and drawings on the web - originals, warbirds, military, civilian, museum displays, etc., etc. Just Google Fw.44 and click for Images.

Cazzie
December 18th, 2009, 14:53
Wow Mick, they look supreme. Will get them ASAP. Did you make your own Paint Kit?

Caz

Mick
December 18th, 2009, 15:37
Wow Mick, they look supreme. Will get them ASAP. Did you make your own Paint Kit?

Caz

Thanks Caz, I'm glad you like 'em.

Nope, I didn't make a paint kit. I just used Scrubby's original textures as a basis for my paints.

There are only two external texture files. On a copy of each of them I whited out all the parts I didn't want to change the color of, keeping just the dark gray parts that I wanted to make silver. I then loaded the results into Sierra Snapshot Express, went to the Enhance Photo part, and hit the Underexposed button three times. That turned Scrubby's gray into a pretty passable silver. Then I pasted the results back onto the original texture file with the white background transparent, and saved the new files in 32-bit format.

With that done, it was a fairly simple matter to add the upper fuselage color and alter the markings as required - which wasn't much. Just the tail band and swastika, some relocation of the underwing crosses, and on the gray one a different style fuselage cross and the codes on the fuselage and under the wings.

The gray one should have a small unit insignia on the nose, but I couldn't find an image of it, and I don't have the skill to paint it from scratch, so I left it off.

robert41
December 18th, 2009, 17:37
Thanks Mick. Great looking paints.

Wild Bill Kelso
December 18th, 2009, 23:12
Good job, Mick! :applause:

And way easier than my attempts...
I think I'll take your second one as a basis to 'civilize' it to the D-EMOF version of the link I posted above (as I don't like any swastikas in my FS world...).
The site of my link contains two nice shots of the Focke-Wulf and Siemens logo I'd like to paste on.

Can I ask for your permission to re-upload the textures basing on yours once they're done?

Cheers,
Markus.

Mick
December 19th, 2009, 04:57
...Can I ask for your permission to re-upload the textures basing on yours once they're done?
Markus.

Certainly Markus, go to it!

I look forward to your paint. We should have a modern warbird or two to fly in regular FS9, while the vintage liveries fly in Golden Wings.

Anyone else is welcome to use my textures as a starting point, too.

I forgot to mention something else I had to do, that will be needed if someone wants to start from scratch - perhaps to get a different shade of "silver," or a gray tone. The underwing and fuselage bottom on Scrubby's origonal textures are pale blue, so before lightening the gray color it's nevessary to copy the wing tops onto the wing bottoms, and patch a rectangle of dark gray from the fuselage top or sides onto the fuselage bottom color section.

I wish I'd thought to save a copy of solid silver, without the colored fuselage top, but I was in a rush and didn't think of it until it was too late.

Mick
December 19th, 2009, 10:33
Well, maybe I will paint a few more.

One that I have in mind will require an overall silver base color, without a colored fuselage top. If I do that one I'll have to make a plain, unmarked overall silver skin to start with, and I'll upload that so anyone can add any markings to it that they want to.

Mick
December 19th, 2009, 15:59
Markus,

I just found a glitch in my basic silver fuselage. If you look carefully along the bottom edge of the rear fuselage, you can see that the silver color doesn't come quite far enough down.

I'm correcting it on my copies of both paints, and on the plain silver paint I'm making. I'll release the corrections later, in a package along with a few other paints I have planned. Meanwhile, if you send me your address I'll send you a corrected fuselage texture that you can work with.

Wild Bill Kelso
December 20th, 2009, 01:23
Thanks a lot, Mick! :ernae:
PM sent.

Cazzie
December 20th, 2009, 03:16
Don't know how WildBill is coming along, nut I am going to start a layered kit for this yoday. May take a couple oof days at least, because as WBK says, all must be redone, the default textures came from a scan and were touched up. As such, NI and such are not very resolute, but fuzzy.

I downloaded Mick's pains, thanks Mick, they'll help as guides.

Thanks Claudius for the alterations, work fine for me.

Caz

Wild Bill Kelso
December 20th, 2009, 03:48
Great news, Cazzie!
Thanks a lot!
Looking forward to it :jump:

So my Stieglitz will be set to a holding pattern, as the various Lufthansa CV-440s just managed to overtake this tiny slow-mover on final...

Mick
December 20th, 2009, 17:28
I just uploaded a pack of ten repaints, including better versions of the two I posted earlier. They're all based on manipulated versions of Scrubby's originals, like the first two.

All but one are mostly silver, and they were all fairly simple to paint. For what they are, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

There are some very attractive liveries depicted on the web, but I lack the time and/or the skill to paint them. I'm sure Cazzie and Markus will do some of them justice.

Flyboy208
December 20th, 2009, 19:25
Thank you for the repaints Gents! Anyone have proper blurred prop working for this aircraft? Mike :applause:

flying legend
December 21st, 2009, 05:31
Oh, a FW44 Stieglitz. My favourte classic biplane! I made several rides in the real thing in the UK and Belgium. Great plane and what a joy to see one in FS again! Thanks for the HU! Downloading right now!:ernae:

VBR,

FL!

Cazzie
December 22nd, 2009, 18:29
Thank you for the repaints Gents! Anyone have proper blurred prop working for this aircraft? Mike :applause:

Attached below, a new prop blur is in the repainted default textures I sent up this evening too.

Caz

Cees Donker
December 23rd, 2009, 07:44
The gauges are all English! This bird should have German gauges!

:salute:

Cees

Cazzie
December 23rd, 2009, 08:42
The gauges are all English! This bird should have German gauges!

:salute:

Cees

I don't have the program, but I am sure I have all the necessary gauges should someone that does know how makes a German panel.

Anyhow, Englisch ist okay. :bump:

Caz

Wild Bill Kelso
December 23rd, 2009, 09:12
Well, fortunately Oliver Fischer's awesome Bücker Jungmann has all the stuff you'll need:

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Early Aircraft FS2004 Buecker 131 Jungmann
[ Download (http://flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120912) | View (http://flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=120912) ]
Name: bueck131.zip (http://flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120912) Size: 18,579,934 Date: 02-27-2008 Downloads: 1,340
http://flightsim.com/n/bueck131.gif http://flightsim.com/wbicons/fcq1.gif http://flightsim.com/wbicons/fbq1.gif FS2004 Buecker 131 Jungmann. The Buecker Jungmann was the first plane produced by the new Buecker Flugzeugbau GmbH company founded in 1932. The prototype Bu 131A V-1, registration D-3150, was conceived as a training/private plane capable of aerobatics and powered by an 80 hp Hirth HM60R inline engine. It made its inaugural flight on 27th April 1934. By Oliver Fischer.

Flyboy208
December 23rd, 2009, 09:26
Or these gauges, available at Flightsim ...

FS2004 Metric Gauges 1928-38

[ Download | View ]

Name: 1928gau.zip Size: 8,207,939 Date: 04-14-2006 Downloads: 2,659
FS2004 Metric Gauges 1928-38. Austrian-German (photorealistic) gauges, circa 1928-1938. By Karl Bauer.

Mike:running:

Cees Donker
December 23rd, 2009, 10:04
Or the Kedigau ones by Keitel?

Cees