PDA

View Full Version : ** 2010 Team SOH Sign-up **

srgalahad
December 16th, 2009, 08:52
Ladies and gentlemen!

Once again it's time for the brave and foolhardy to step to the plate! :icon_lol:

To help us keep track of SOH members who can support the 2010 Round the World Race Team effort we'd like to keep a database of a) pilots and b) other crew. Not a lot of data required, but it will help us gather people together as the time approaches. If you aren't sure now about your time now, still feel free to sign up and we can work it out as we go along - or add your name and data to the list later if you wish. (see the fine print below)

To this end if you, please reply in this thread with the following information:
------------------------------------------------------------

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name)

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests)

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX)

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it)

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n)

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n)

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques:

---------------------------------------------------------
Either make a text list of the responses or you can "quote" the above section and insert your data within it.
Note: I'd like even the 'old regulars' to fill in the register so it's complete as possible.

Pilot responsibilities are straightforward and for those who may be new we will provide training and help setting up your computer with the required software. For the other positions, if there are any questions you can ask in the relevant threads or PM one of the 'regulars' and we'll fill you in.

The race itself is mid-February and there will be organized training "missions" between now and then. The training is a bit more relaxed and will allow people lots of opportunity to get 'in shape', whether flying or the other jobs. Time commitments are at your discretion - some can only offer a couple of hours now and then and that is fine - those may be the hours that become most important. One thing we DO hope for is a good representation from the east side of the Atlantic and Asia/Australia/NZ to help spread the workload across as many timezones as possible.

Thanks for your support! :ernae:

The 'fine print':
1. While we are asking for a volunteer commitment we understand that life has a way of changing and your desire today may not equal time in the upcoming months. --This list is to show desire to participate and not a promise to work a set number of hours.

2. As some of the discussions over the next few weeks are team-specific and held in a restricted-access forum, for security reasons we ask that if you are undecided about working with Team SOH or another team, please make that decision first. Team SOH members (plus SOH staff and FSRTW Committee Members) are granted access to the team-only forum so 'jumping ship' later in the process is considered "bad form".

3. While we all like the fun, glory and frustration of flying, please consider committing to other parts of the team effort. Even without experience you CAN help and certainly can learn a lot about how large events work.

4. While not mandatory, we'd like to have a working email address for every team member in case we need alternative communications (forums do suffer outages). This will be kept confidential and only used if necessary. Do not include it in this post - you will be asked in a PM later for the address.

Rob

Tako_Kichi
December 16th, 2009, 09:24
Due to time constraints and other current issues I have not been able to partake in the first practice session (so far) but would like to be considered for the team. My details are below:

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Tako_Kichi

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Weather & airport scouting, flying (if we get short of pilots)

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FSX(Primary), FS9(will need to re-install for the race)

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) warbirds, jet fighters, GA, helicopters (at a pinch), default (some)

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) y, y

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) y (Team SOH 2008)

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]) EST (GMT -5)

Kowalski65
December 16th, 2009, 09:55
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Kowalski65

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Route planning & scouting,& flying.Time availible may depend on what the wife demands I keep having to get up & do for her though,but she has been warned!

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX)FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it)Warbirds & GA,although I want to practice with the heavy metal before the race.

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) y,y

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n)y

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST])GMT

PRB
December 16th, 2009, 14:39
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) PRB (Paul)

:ques: Areas of interest: Flying, telling sea stories at the bar, scouting, weather spotting, short ranged planning, scoring & tracking data.

:ques: Sim: FS9 , FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown: Anything except "jelly poppers" (whirly bird thingies)

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? Y,Y

:ques: previous RTW experience: Y

:ques: Home time zone: GMT-6

Dangerousdave26
December 16th, 2009, 15:27

Dangerousdave26

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests)

I have limited time this year for the race. I will fill in as I can.

FS9 as the Primary stable sim
FSX for fun and Helicopters

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it)

I would prefer to fly the Beer Truck.

Y/Y

:mixedsmi:

Doesn't matter as I have found I pull a few all nighters anyway.

Flyin Bull
December 16th, 2009, 15:42

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Flyin Bull

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Flying

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FS9 & FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) If It Flys

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) Yes, Yes

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) Yes

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]) GMT

Moses03
December 16th, 2009, 20:30
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Moses03

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) All. Not a good planner but will try to help out more in that area.

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FS9, FSX (backup)

All except helicopters
:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) Yes,yes

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST])GMT-6

crashaz
December 16th, 2009, 21:04

crashaz

Flying,weather & airport scouting, research

FSX

warbirds,jet fighters,general aviation,default a/c, (gyrocopter... yep flew that leg in Brazil in 07)

Y and Y

Been part of SOH Team since inception.

GMT -6 Central Time Zone US

Nonno
December 16th, 2009, 21:09
Nonno (Bill)

Flying, Route Planning, Weather & Airport Scouting, Research, Scoring, Rules and Protests - - I will help out where you need it

FSX

Warbirds, GA

Not presently, but have flown online in other sims while using TS, so don't think it will be a problem.

No

GMT -5 EST

AussieMan
December 17th, 2009, 01:14
Depending on conditions here this summer I will throw my hat into the ring.

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Aussieman (Pat)

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Weather & airport spotting, possibly rules & protests and maybe some flying.

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) General Aviation, warbirds, some tubes and heavies.

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) Y/Y

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) Y

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: GMT +11 AEDST

Hopefully this year I will have a fairly free run. Need to throw in RL things like work and in my case firefighting.

Cheers
Pat

whitehawk_2009
December 17th, 2009, 05:38
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Whitehawk_2009 (Dan)

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Flying, airport and weather scouting

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FS9

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) Warbirds and GA mostly, trying the propliners, but no promises

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) yes on both counts

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: CST, but I'm a night owl

Hopefully by the time of the race I will have a new computer built. Until I do, I'll be watching and practicing when I can.

WH

Haitun
December 20th, 2009, 21:01
Haitun
flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring (anything save protests - it's unsportsmanlike to comlain)

FSX

jet fighters, general aviation, defaults, warbirds, heavies, need some practice in tubes and helicopters.

n y
y, 2 times
GMT +3 in Russia /+8 in China

Firebar
December 28th, 2009, 10:23
I'm gonna be having time issues this year, so I might not be able to fly too much, might as well say I'll do what I can though.

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) - Firebar

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) - Flying, Weather/Airport Scouting, Some Reasearch (If Needed

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) - Fs9

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) - GA, The Occasional Warbird and Tube, Some helicopters

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) - n n

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) - y, did a leg or so last year.

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: - GMT

Flork
December 29th, 2009, 15:20
I'll be ready.

:ques: Name Flork
:ques: Areas of interest flying, weather & airport scouting, reporting

:ques: Sim FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown warbirds, jet fighters, general aviation, , default a/c

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y, y)

:ques: previous RTW experience (y)

:ques: Home time zone CST

srgalahad
January 5th, 2010, 10:56
January 5th -- 6 weeks to go.

The access list for the Hideout will be refreshed in the next few days so if you haven't signed up for the SOH -RTWR Team, now's the time.

Further practices will be 'restricted' and of course a lot of the pre-race discussion will now be "upstairs" so drop a note in this thread if you intend to be part of the team.:salute:

Rob

jkcook28
January 5th, 2010, 11:54

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) jkcook28

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) flying, weather & airport scouting

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) any and all

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) y, y

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) y

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: CST

Better late than never?

Dangerousdave26
January 5th, 2010, 12:34
Better late than never?

And a lot sooner that last year.

bpfowler
January 5th, 2010, 16:29
decision pending...no point ruining the team effort with trashmo flying.

EasyEd
January 5th, 2010, 16:46
Hey All,

I'm around.

-Ed-

Moses03
January 5th, 2010, 16:48
Come on join the party Brady. We have another practice round just around the corner to get up to speed.

PRB
January 5th, 2010, 16:57
Ditto to what Moses said, BP. You are more than welcome, and we'll get some practice very "soonish"

Planes-11
January 6th, 2010, 05:57
OK Guys, I have never flown online before because I have always battled to hook up to multi-player through flightsim for some reason. I will try and get this sorted out shortly and then will put in my pedegry for concideration. Rest Assured, I have lifted off and brought back safely most of what is out there...except the ET variety which I do not much care about.... :icon_lol:

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 06:28
Planes, there's no requirement to fly online.
Real world weather (updated 15 min) and a connection for the Duenna program to track the flight are not quite mandatory but may be soon. You do have to make posts just before and after your flight so you can't effectively race without an active internet connection for your browser.
The online flying only becomes a part of it for Team Flights (although still not mandatory) and for the improved fun you can have and the help you can get from having spotters on the ground at a nasty destination. Having visual contact with a wingman can save your bacon ( and the baton) at times too but again, it's not required. (and there's lots of help to be had from the team as far as getting set up and flying online if you choose to try). We ARE finding that being able to use TeamSpeak is a great help (and fun when you can chat with your fellow racers) but that's less difficult sometimes than getting FS online.

Primary needs are to have an understanding of the basic rules and needs of the event, an ability to fly crash-free and a willingness to put up with our strange behaviour when the pressure comes on :icon_lol:. There's no mandated time commitment either.. one leg, no legs but other help ( spotting, wx reporting etc.), flying as a Wingman, general morale building, or dive in face first and become truly addicted -- it's up to you!

There IS a learning curve to RTWR flying and the additional required software ( FSUIPC and Duenna) so a bit of lead time and practice is important. So, sign up, get in the practice and I think you;ll be amazed how rewarding it is.

Rob

Planes-11
January 6th, 2010, 06:59
That was nicely explained there Sir-Gal. I will brush up on what is required. In the mean time Planes-11 is now "On-Call".

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Planes-11

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Flying - (I may Protest later if you will let me).

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FS9/FSX

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) All of these.

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) No/can get TS.

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) None

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: GMT London, not far from the date line.

Three Green Pilots.

Dain Arns
January 6th, 2010, 09:39
Does it have to be the registered version of FSUIPC?
Otherwise I have used Duenna in the past.
No hesitation about flying rotorcraft here.

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) Dain Arns

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Flying

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) FSX only

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) Helicopters - (Any), GA - (Taildraggers to light twins) , Warbirds - (Lightning, Hellcat, Corsair, Spitfire), Jetfighters - (F-14, F-16, F-18)

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) In the past, I have TS

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) No, but did Race Across Africa in past.

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: Central Standard Time

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 09:58
Dain,
Nope.. the unregistered version of FSUIPC is fine. just make sure you look through the treads here for info about most recent versions of the software (incl Duenna) and thanks for the support!

Feel free to ask questions if you run into anything you're not sure about.

bpfowler
January 7th, 2010, 13:59

Name (SOH screen-name)bpfowler [brady]

Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) scouting, flying as needed

Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) fs9

a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it)
can work slower planes okay ,and chopper if friendly to fs9. not a hot pilot, dudes.

Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) y,y

previous RTW experience (y/n) n

Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST])pst [seattle]

srgalahad
January 7th, 2010, 14:09
Good stuff Brady... we'll get you tuned up and try to ease you in gently (as with all the other new recruits).
First aid will be supplied for the first couple of bruises :kilroy:

Moparmike
January 9th, 2010, 02:40
A little late on responding, but I'm planning on being around for the race again this year.

Moparmike

flying, WX scouting, research, if I'm around I'll do a little bit of everything

FS9 & FSX (mostly FS9)

Anything with wings. Helos in FSX only

Online yes, TS yes (until late-night my time(

Yup. Every year except the second.

GMT-6hrs (CST). I still work night shift so my hours usually match up with the guys on the other side of the globe though.

smilo
January 13th, 2010, 16:10
------------------:kilroy:----------------------
:ques: Name (smilo)

:ques: Areas of interest (I want to learn as much as I can and help the team where ever possible. I do not want to be a detriment to the team)

:ques: Sim ( FS9 )

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (very limited...I can make a crater anywhere)

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y, y) and have a backup Forum and TS2 server

:ques: previous RTW experience (n)

:ques: Home time zone (GMT -8 [PST]):ques:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

better late,
than really late

MaddogK
January 18th, 2010, 09:48
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) MaddogK

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) ALL of the above, but I'm a better follower than a leader, and am NO lawyer

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) LOL, safely ? If it's got wings...

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) Yes/Yes

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) YES

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]) CST

0ldduff
January 21st, 2010, 12:27
:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) 0ldduff

:ques: Areas of interest (flying, route planning, weather & airport scouting, research, scoring, rules and protests) Weather and airport scouting

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) General aviation

Occasionally/Not yet
:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) None

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: GMT - 7

:173go1:

MaddogK
January 21st, 2010, 18:15
Welcome aboard Oldduff.

Haitun
January 25th, 2010, 23:50
My problems have been solved - I'm able to post at the outhouse from China=)

P-51 Hell Kat
February 2nd, 2010, 11:22
[QUOTE=srgalahad;313186]Ladies and gentlemen!

Once again it's time for the brave and foolhardy to step to the plate! :icon_lol:

To help us keep track of SOH members who can support the 2010 Round the World Race Team effort we'd like to keep a database of a) pilots and b) other crew. Not a lot of data required, but it will help us gather people together as the time approaches. If you aren't sure now about your time now, still feel free to sign up and we can work it out as we go along - or add your name and data to the list later if you wish. (see the fine print below)

To this end if you, please reply in this thread with the following information:

:ques: Name (SOH screen-name) P-51 Hell Kat

:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) CFS3

:ques: a/c classes (safely) flown (warbirds, jet fighters, tubes, general aviation, heavies, helicopters, default a/c, if-it-has-wings-I-fly-it) WARBIRDS

:ques: Do you fly online? Do you have TeamSpeak? (y/n, y/n) Y,Y

:ques: previous RTW experience (y/n) ????

:ques: Home time zone (GMT +/- or the local name [eg EST]):ques: GMT-7

Dangerousdave26
February 2nd, 2010, 13:05
:ques: Sim (FS2002, FS9 or FSX) CFS3

P-51 Hell Kat

I actually wish that was possible :icon_lol: but the around the world race is only run in the three simulators listed FS8, FS9 or FSX.

If you have one of those sims you are welcome to join.

For information the Race the race home page is http://www.fsrtwrace.com/

The Flight Simulator Around-The-World Race
The Flight Simulator Around-The-World Race is an annual event conducted between the top flight simulation websites. Enthusiasts from each site gather online to fly their team's virtual baton around the world as fast as possible. The race was first run in 2003. From the beginning, the race has been an open contest with the simple objective of having fun. It is administered by a small executive committee of a few enthusiasts.If your system runs CFS3 fine it should run FS9 fine. There are an abundance of freeware aircraft available in the Warbird class (normal racer because they just do it better) for FS9.