PDA

View Full Version : Opinion please:mid range zoom vs. normal

Cratermaker
December 16th, 2009, 04:33
So here is my current list of lenses:
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
70-200mm f/4.0L

I was thinking about getting a 4.0 or even 2.8 mid range zoom (probably with IS) to upgrade the 24-85mm, but.... started thinking.

In an unscientific test, I only had to walk about 8 ft to cover the same range as my 24-85 when leaving it fixed at 50mm.

I'm thinking maybe I should just get a fixed 50mm f/1.4, save money and weight, and get gobs of light gathering. What do you guys think about this approach?

Moparmike
December 16th, 2009, 05:28
Hmmm...How about both? :d
If LBA (lens buying addiction) hasn't struck you yet, it will! Looks like you're already on your way though!

I guess I would probably take a look at the majority of your shots in that mid-range area and see what is your most used length and also your shooting style.
If it's in the 50mm range, and/or you like to play in low-light or with a shallow depth of field then that 50/1.4 prime might be the hot ticket. Otherwise, a faster (2.8) midrange zoom (or other length prime) might be more useful to ya...plus it'll still give you a few more stops over your current 3.5-4.5 midrange.

Personally, I kinda like using a fixed 50mm. I've got a 50/1.7 manual focus that gets quite a bit of use...probably more than my 18-55 "kit" lens. I like to use it for it's shallow DoF but it also comes in handy as a short-tele equivalent for landscape shots or for low-light portrait shots.

To figure out your most used focal lengths, try this handy little freeware utility program to see how you most like to play.
ExposurePlot http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html
It'll map out your shots by ISO, f-stop, or shutter speed.

Kiwikat
December 16th, 2009, 09:27
A 17-55 2.8 or lightly used 24-105 L would suit your needs quite well. Both would be about the same price, with the used 24-105 being marginally cheaper.

If you don't mind having a fixed focal length, the Canon 50mm 1.4 (good for portraits on a crop sensor) would indeed be a good pick, as would the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or Canon 28mm 1.8 (better for general purpose on a crop sensor).

Alternately, do you have a speedlight? If not, the 430exII and a sto-fen diffuser would be a better buy than any of these listed lenses.

6297J
December 16th, 2009, 11:11
Is this Nikon or Canon?

I think having a lens that can go to f1.4 should be an essential piece of anyones kit. My 50mm f1.4 is wonderful when used wide open for portraits but it really comes into it's own for low light. That would be my choice.

Cratermaker
December 16th, 2009, 12:03
Oh, sorry. Canon lenses.

That Exposure plot program is really interesting. One thing is for sure: I was banging up against the limits of my 24-85 all the time before I got my wide angle and telephoto zooms! I also think I need to get a 1.4x converter for my 70-200. Looks like I was hitting 200 a lot at the air show. :icon_lol:

The distribution of my 24-85 otherwise was pretty even except for 70mm which there was a spike.

EDIT: 70mm equivalent in the 35mm format that is

6297J
December 16th, 2009, 12:21
Your 70-200 is already f4 at best - adding a 1.4 TC means you will lose a stop to f5.6 so you'd better hope you will be shooting in good light! :iidea:

Cratermaker
December 16th, 2009, 12:50
Yes! But light didn't seem to be a problem at the airshow (other than it back-lighting everything that day) :banghead: The airshow seems to be the place I kept trying to zoom in more. I still don't know if I would have been happy with a bigger lens though. I was able to hold my camera and tele-lens up all day without fatigue, but I'm not sure about a heavier one.

6297J
December 16th, 2009, 13:01
You do also lose a little bit of image quality when you add a TC but, yes if you are pointing at a blue Texan sky I guess losing a stop is no biggie! I have been looking at a 1.7 TC for my 300 for ages and it would be well worth it if I ever see strong sunlight again. Maybe next year.

Moparmike
December 16th, 2009, 13:01
Your 70-200 is already f4 at best - adding a 1.4 TC means you will lose a stop to f5.6 so you'd better hope you will be shooting in good light! :iidea:

Yup, you'll lose one f-stop with a 1.4x TC...can get to be a real pain with an auto-focus lens as the light dips a bit.
I have an older 2x T/C that I use with a 70-210 manual focus zoom. (an old non-AF/non-auto converter) A 2x has me losing two f-stops and it's a real pain for even late-afternoon outdoor shots. I've tried a borrowed 1.4x auto TC with my 50-200 on my Pentax and it really makes the AF sensor work to lock in when the light dips.
In daylight you'll probably be okay (like sunny airshow shots)...but if it's an overcast day you'll wind up running quite a bit lower shutter speed and possibly picking up motion blur. Might not be a bad thing though, especially taking shots of prop planes in action.

Not sure how the Canon lenses are, but with Pentax I'd be better off going to a 55-300 or 70-300 instead of adding a TC to my kit.
Still got a 300mm zoom on my wishlist...the one I'm eyeballing is the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG (if I ever win the lottery!)

Henry
December 16th, 2009, 13:15
i hate 2x converters with a passion
you would be better to crop
just my opinion
H

Cratermaker
December 16th, 2009, 13:45
i hate 2x converters with a passion
you would be better to crop
just my opinion
H
How about 1.4x?

Moparmike
December 16th, 2009, 15:01
How about 1.4x?

The more I shoot digital, the more I'm tending to agree with H. With a good high-MP digital you can probably do just as good with a crop as you can with a TC. I've read that before many times on the other photo forums too.

The only reason I'm stubborn enough to keep using my old 2x TC every now and then is because it's there from my film kit and it's a cheap & dirty way to get a 420mm length (which calcs out to something like 500mm when you figure in sensor-crop factor). The image quality does drop off a bit with any TC (1.4x, 1.7x, 2.0x)...more lens elements to rob light and clarity.

Cratermaker
December 16th, 2009, 15:27
The more I shoot digital, the more I'm tending to agree with H. With a good high-MP digital you can probably do just as good with a crop as you can with a TC. I've read that before many times on the other photo forums too.
Yeah, I'm already doing this and it does work pretty well. Until I start needing to make large prints or posters, I can keep doing just that.

Henry
December 17th, 2009, 05:55
the problem with converters is
they are not designed for any particular lens
when a lens is designed its from front to rear element
when you add a converter behind it you are changing
the original optic design
when you crop you are basically just changing the pixels
and i have seen some great enlargements from a 4MP image
so if you have an 8MP image
cropping it would be a 4MP image

now for close ups a good close up filter
is a handy thing to have, not as good as a macro lens
but for the price an excellent thing
H

Cratermaker
December 18th, 2009, 09:47
Ok, I am going for the 50mm f/1.4 AND a the 430EXII flash (on sale). I'll let you all know how it works out. Or better yet, show you! :jump: