PDA

View Full Version : F9F Panther

Willy
December 13th, 2009, 21:58
Just thought some of yall might want to know that the ROS updated AH F9F Panther works in FSX...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=27588

DennyA
December 13th, 2009, 22:24
Dangit! I thought someone had done an FSX version...

Gonna have to fire it up in FS9, though... Such a great plane!

warchild
December 14th, 2009, 00:20
I'm still hoping someone does the cougar..

expat
December 14th, 2009, 13:31
Hey Willy! That's very helpful to learn. Was a bit afraid to try that one as the visual model is a bit long in the tooth and didn't want to spend an hour clicking on endless gauge error messages!

Thanks and regards

expat

Cazzie
December 14th, 2009, 14:54
Willy,

Thanks for the HU. I've had the AH Panther for some time, but only with the default textures. ROS done real good. I may tone down the Alpha though, textures are a bit too sheeny judging by my env.bmp reflections for my liking. The NMF is a bit too chrome for my tastes too. But it's a good base to work with. If ROS is lurking, wonder if he has a layered Paint Kit available? I am not particularly fond of that static bright blue flame exhaust effect either.

I only have it in FS9 at present though.

Caz

DennyA
December 14th, 2009, 22:53
I have this dream that someday Tim Conrad will do the F9F Cougar two-seat trainer..

peter12213
December 15th, 2009, 06:59
I also would love a Cougar, I don't know how its escaped developers attentions, I think its one hell of a gorgeous aircraft personally!

DennyA
December 15th, 2009, 08:08
Yep... I remember seeing an F9F-8T/TF-9J parked at an airshow when I was very young; they served as trainers into the early 70s.

Interestingly, the two-seat Cougar was the only model that was ever used in combat, doing FAC in Vietnam. I haven't been able to find any pics of it in that guise, though -- just in the white/orange and blue paintschemes. Anyone seen a shot of the Vietnam birds?

peter12213
December 15th, 2009, 08:17
The white and orange ones were my favourites, especially with that IFR probe sticking out its nose!

expat
December 15th, 2009, 11:24
Well, the Panther flies and looks stunning, inside and out, in FSX. Only needed to swap out an old lear45 AP for another one and it loads perfectly. Need to add back the original effects and fix the smoke coordinates and its really like it was made for FSX.

Thanks again Willy for the heads up.

expat

dharris
December 15th, 2009, 11:48
Is the aircraft still available?

hschuit
December 15th, 2009, 12:43
Is the aircraft still available?

Still there for FREE :wiggle: - thanks to Aeroplane Heaven: http://www.heavenlyhangars.com/ahmembers/specials.html

Couldn't resist trying something else like a different engine flame and smoke effects. "Real Old Salt" included this brilliant water injection switch in his update which gives you 50 seconds turbo power. I never saw a Panther taking off with water injection but I can imagine it must be spitting out thick black smoke then.

cheezyflier
December 15th, 2009, 15:12
i want a freeware cougar like this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2777466392_d8eecfe11b.jpg

Shylock
December 15th, 2009, 15:20
Always wanted a Cougar only so this way we could do a Blue Angels heritage flight in a salute to the Blues history and also Grumman's life in the NAVY.

HeyChief
December 15th, 2009, 18:34
Back about a half-century ago, while serving in USS Intrepid, we had pilots flying Cougars from Pensacola doing their Carrier Quals. Good looking plane.

dharris
December 16th, 2009, 05:13
Thaniks for the heads up, while there I figured I may as well try their spitfire and 109.

hews500d
December 16th, 2009, 06:52
Willy, thanks for the reminder on this one! I had forgotten I had ever purchased it. I'll have to install it back into FSX.

** Peter and Warchild, If I remember correctly, there was a thread here a couple years ago talking about Grumman basically prohibiting anyone from modeling any of their aircraft (someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong) due to legal reasons (sort of the same thing as with Cessna). I'd love to see one of these native FSX also!

Darrell

Marlin
December 16th, 2009, 10:08
** Peter and Warchild, If I remember correctly, there was a thread here a couple years ago talking about Grumman basically prohibiting anyone from modeling any of their aircraft (someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong) due to legal reasons (sort of the same thing as with Cessna). I'd love to see one of these native FSX also!

Darrell

Didn't we already pay them for it once with our tax dollars?:USA-flag:

That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I say make it regardless, greedy SOB's.

Shylock
December 16th, 2009, 13:26
Back about a half-century ago, while serving in USS Intrepid, we had pilots flying Cougars from Pensacola doing their Carrier Quals. Good looking plane.

The mighty I. Shes docked over here in NYC and she was just given a much needed make over. Haven't been there in years but will make it a point to try and get there. My uncle was never really fond of the Intrepid when he was in the Navy because he use to say the Intrepid was his carriers relief and for some reason the USS Wasp was always stuck out a few extra days. lol. Big thank you for serving HeyChief this one is for you :icon29: