PDA

View Full Version : Old Convair Pictures

russtee54
December 12th, 2009, 13:59
Check This out More B-36 B-58 and others.
http:/texashistory.unt.edu search Lockheed Aeronautics Company.

Moses03
December 12th, 2009, 14:30
Great find russtee and welcome to SOH. A ton of aviation photos in that archive.

Here is the link to the main portal: http://texashistory.unt.edu/

cheezyflier
December 12th, 2009, 15:09
nicely done for a first post! :applause:

jmig
December 12th, 2009, 15:50
Yes! Welcome to SOH! We are happy you joined us. Just remember, sanity is optional here.

There is a B-58 in the TX museum in Galveston. Another in Dayton, OH at the USAF museum.

I remember years ago they had a B-36 on display in Ft Worth at the airport. This was before DFW, so you know it was a while ago.

russtee54
December 12th, 2009, 18:28
I used to visit the B-36 at Great Southwest Airport when I was a kid. The B-58 was at the Southwest Air Museum. I was a volunteer there. The B-36-The City of Ft Worth was to be the center piece of a new Museum, but that fell through. I don't know where she is now I had the priveledge of getting close to both the B-58 and the B-36 before the Southwest air museum closed. We cut the wings at the fuselage on the B-58 and removed the tail. It was then pulled on loop 820 around to Meacham Field. It stayed there for a while until it moved to Galveston. I hope Ike didn't mess her up too bad. I am very fond of these two aircraft. I lived on the flight path of Carswell AFB and was witness to many an approach and arrival when I was a kid.

djscoo
December 12th, 2009, 18:41
I used to visit the B-36 at Great Southwest Airport when I was a kid. The B-58 was at the Southwest Air Museum. I was a volunteer there. The B-36-The City of Ft Worth was to be the center piece of a new Museum, but that fell through. I don't know where she is now I had the priveledge of getting close to both the B-58 and the B-36 before the Southwest air museum closed. We cut the wings at the fuselage on the B-58 and removed the tail. It was then pulled on loop 820 around to Meacham Field. It stayed there for a while until it moved to Galveston. I hope Ike didn't mess her up too bad. I am very fond of these two aircraft. I lived on the flight path of Carswell AFB and was witness to many an approach and arrival when I was a kid.
I was at the LSFM a few months ago, and the B-58 was still there. All the planes they flew to safety, and the work-in-progress Privateer were in the main room to walk around. All the planes that took a bath during Ike were in the second hanger roped off so you couldn't see them up close. The B-58 didn't have too much to damage, there weren't any engines in it, and the cockpit was well above the waterline on that high landing gear.

russtee54
December 12th, 2009, 18:49
Yeah She never had any engines when we had her either. I spent many an afternoon with that plane hated to see her go. I'll look in my archives and see if I can find some of her pictures when we moved her quite a sight to see a B-58 being towed on the interstate. As I remember the tires were in pretty bad shape but Lockheed Martin had a set they installed so we could move it.

Moses03
December 12th, 2009, 20:39
The B-36 is now at Pima in Arizona.

http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=58

I used to see it over at Great Southwest Airport as a kid also and parked over on the west side of Carswell AFB later on. Sad that Ft. Worth could not hang onto it!

traindriver98
December 17th, 2009, 12:07
I took these from the rail shortly after the B-36 arrived in Tucson.23074

Bjoern
December 17th, 2009, 14:49
Some cool hardware there.

I want that Viscount.