PDA

View Full Version : My Fix for the 1.009 Patch problem

Snuffy
December 12th, 2009, 09:18
As you may know, when patch 1.009 came out my install went :pop4:!

I was dead for about a week, every time I'd try to run ROF I'd get a black screen and after 45 seconds or so, the MS Error reporting dialog box would appear on my screen.

A quick check of that box indicated that ROF.exe was having problems with a program called landscape.dll

Well after countless posts and suggestions from Neoqb ... this is what finally happened (from a post in the neoqb forums ...)

Okay folks, my install is now among the living. (even though it now has the stutters)

Here's what I did:

Uninstalled the game
Ran registry mechanic and crapcleaner
Removed the Rise Of Flight program folder from its place in My Programs folder
Ran registry mechanic and crapcleaner again
Rebooted (cold)
Went to settings, control panel, and install/remove program files
Located my .net 3.5 installation and clicked the remove/change icon and selected repair install
After the repair finished, I did a windows update to make sure everything was up to par ...
Defraged my harddrive using diskkeeper
Rebooted (cold)
Installed the game in this manner ... I selected full install and let it do its thing, when it came time to select the other programs, (DirectX,.Net, etc.,) I deselected them, as I assumed they have already been installed with the other times I've installed the game. (no need to duplicate and I didn't want to destroy the repair I just did on .net 3.5)
Clicked finish after unselecting the alternate files (Oh I also unchecked start game too.)
Found the icon for ROF on my desktop, opened it, and it found the updater and ran it (Update package was 1475 Mb of 451 files, it took 18 minutes to upload the patch, and then 5 minutes to install the patch.) (I love cable)
After the patch installation, I went to settings and revised all the High settings in the graphics to something lower to the point that I am using only 62 percent of my GPU then I selected start and ...
The screen blacked out like it was supposed to ... no task bar, no nothing and in 40 seconds I get the neoqb splash screen and the game interface starts.

As I said, I got stutters now, so I'll look into fixing that but for now the game runs with 1.009 patch as far as I know.

I have at this time also fixed my stuttering and the game runs smooth as silk ...

Here's what I did for that:

I tried one solution in Vipers thread with regard to stuttering as it seemed the most logial to start with ... (this one: viewtopic.php?f=128&t=5187 (http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=5187) ... ) I went into the dxconfig and disabled the enhanced sound option.

Got back into the game and checked my GPU memory usage and it was down to 31 ... so I up'd the landscape, the trees, and a few other options ... I left the grass off, and changed to biliniar, and deselected all the options on the right of the graphics (flare, etc...) I finally got GPU memory usage to 89 percent.

Went in game continued my career and it was a smooth as silk. I couldn't have asked for it any better than if it were real life.

Oh, I'm running SLI - a pair of nVidia 7600 GS w/512 each ... !

I hope this helps someone who might be having some problems.

:salute:

gajit
December 12th, 2009, 09:47
Thanks for sharing that - well done