PDA

View Full Version : To those using SBuilderX

falcon409
December 12th, 2009, 05:48
I have just spent the last day and a half attempting to right a wrong with all the projects I have been working on and feel it necessary to pass this on to all budding Scenery Designers everywhere, lol.

Once you have a project started in SBX, "Do not" attempt to rename anything.

Anyone who uses SBX knows that the program assigns a numeric file name to the initial project files. When you accumulate enough projects with all the accompanying masks, blurs, night maps, water masks, etc. and all those are also assigned that same numeric file name with the necessary extensions, things get a bit fuzzy when looking through the directory, lol.

I went to the developers forum and asked a question about renaming the image files in SBX and was told that as long as I also renamed the associated txt file, that it was fine. My mistake was in not getting my entire thought process into that question. I knew in my head what I was planning to do (rename everything, not just those two files), but I did not pass that information on in my question.

I have lost all the projects I've done since I started scenery design. Because I renamed every associated file, something within SBX is still referencing the numeric file name and does not see any of the work I've done up til now. So as confusing as those long winded numbers can get after you've compiled that many projects, don't touch a thing, otherwise you are in for a very rude awakening.

ananda
December 12th, 2009, 05:57
If, instead of editing your SBP file, you had exported your project as an SBX file, you could have changed all of your path names and re-imported. Eg.

[Main]
CopyRight=PTSIM SB313
Name=Lundy
NoOfMaps=3
NoOfLands=0
NoOfLines=0
NoOfPolys=10
NoOfWaters=0
NoOfObjects=0
NoOfExcludes=0
NoOfLWCIs=0
BGLProjectFolder=Q:\Drive P\My airfields\Lundy
LatDispCenter= 51.1671415617953
LonDispCenter=-4.66408677069118
Zoom= 12
[Map.1]
Name=
BMPSu=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
BMPSp=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
BMPFa=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
BMPWi=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
BMPHw=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
BMPLm=G:\Maps2BGL\Maps2Bgl_X\Temp\16_000000.bmp
Cols= 4096
Rows= 4096
NLat= 51.234407351635
SLat= 51.179342979289
ELon=-4.658203125
WLon=-4.74609375

George

JoeW
December 12th, 2009, 16:25
I rename the bgl. You can save it with a different name and open it again. Never had a problem with this. I sometimes rename a LC file to a more comfortable name that I know what it belongs to, same for a WC file.

falcon409
December 12th, 2009, 17:23
I rename the bgl. You can save it with a different name and open it again. Never had a problem with this. I sometimes rename a LC file to a more comfortable name that I know what it belongs to, same for a WC file.
Yep, but as you read in my post, this went way beyond just renaming a bgl file, this went to renaming project files and associated files that contained the masks, blurs, nite maps and so on. It's taken me two full days of work to get almost all of my work back and it'll take longer for several because they were in a state that will require that I start over from scratch.

Also, I don't know about other programs. . .this is confined to SBuilderX 3.13 and the way this program automatically assigns numeric file names and at what point you can change that and at what point you better not try.

NoNewMessages
December 12th, 2009, 19:55
I know this is a little late, but for over 25 years I've been telling people that if there is anything that you value on your computer, back it up. 25 years ago that meant having multiple 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, nowadays it means having a flash drive or E-HD.

All my "commercial work" is backed up onto DVD, E-HD and other folders, so that if I mess something up there is a quick fix. Especially painful when earlier this year I decided I didn't need the 60gb of files I downloaded from the USGS Seamless Server and I deleted then after some conversion work. Not much fun was it to sit there and go through that hassle for a second time...:kilroy: