PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder Force Feedback installation

robonav1
December 11th, 2009, 16:50
I have a Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to install on my computer, becouse it has a gameport plug I have installed a creative sound blaster audio card with gameport, my OS is XP 64.
Well I connect the stick and no indication appears in the game device panel, if I install via usb a Logitech Wingman I have it is recognized by OS the same stick connected to the gameport doesn't show (it has both serial and usb plug). I am sure the audio card is working becouse I take it away from an older computer where it worked perfectly (both audio and gameport) drivers are the latest and Game Port is correctly installed and visible in system device manager!
This think is driving me crazy, from what I have read and know XP "must" have drivers for Joystick yet but I do not find it and I find no means to install the Joystick.
Naturally any help will be appreciated
:isadizzy:

Rich
December 11th, 2009, 17:11
robonav1, I have the USB Sidewinder the drivers for which is part of FSX as far as I can tell and probably do not support the old gameport version but I do remember someone posting somewhere a long time ago that they have the old Sidewinder working via a gameport sound card, can't remember how it was done though, it may be you need to install the drivers that came with your sidewinder as the FSX version is for USB.

Sorry no real help but I think it can be done

Henry
December 11th, 2009, 17:16
i use one but it is usb
and never had a problem
well actually i have a usb adapter pluged into the joystick gameport
H

Mathias
December 11th, 2009, 17:43
I think the original sidewinder doesn't work on anything past Win 98.
I mean to remember that I had to abandon my old SW when I made the move to Win 2000.

robonav1
December 11th, 2009, 20:51
Thanks for replies! Well would be realy a pity to through away the Sidewinder FF becouse is absolutely new! I know people install it in XP and they told me that the drivers are within OS, the really starnge thing is that the gameport doesn't see the Wingman joystick too which works fine on USB port....maybe I wil install Seven which is told (by MS) to accept the Sidewinder FF
:applause::applause::applause:

viking3
December 11th, 2009, 21:29
My USB stick works just fine on XP Pro. Plugged it in and it was recognized right away and has worked fine ever since. I only installed the original CD software once, I never bothered after that as XP seemed to have it covered.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

ananda
December 12th, 2009, 00:28
The USB version works fine in W7.

George

kdl
December 12th, 2009, 01:04
I had a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 1.0 connected to a soundblaster sound card with game port perfectly running under Windows XP for a long time.
The former provided Sidewinder software doesn't work anymore, but Win XP will find the necessary driver itself. I have a German version of XP so I don't know all the special folders name where you can find your drivers, but try this:
http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=29064

If this doesn't help try to "google". You will find a lot of informations.

olaf1924
December 12th, 2009, 08:51
I am using both types of msffb sticks and no trouble on my end. I am also using a sound card with a gameport and windows xp for my os. Go to the control panel then game controller to activate the joy stick.:wavey:

robonav1
December 12th, 2009, 11:13
I will try to be more clear about situation:
- OS xp 64 bit
- sound card with gameport up and working
- device manager see game controller port as Ok
connecting Sidewinder FF pro (or Logitech Wingman) to the gameport produces no effect
as any indication of the gaming device in the gaming device window which is completely
empty!!
- I am sure that the gameport is Ok becouse it was working on another computer till yesterday
- at least Wingman stick is Ok becouse if I connect it via USB it is seen and reported in the game device window

Willy
December 12th, 2009, 11:27
Not much help, but I use a MS Sidewinder 1 hooked up via a gameport to USB adapter and it's working great with FS9 and XP SP2.

Picked up a Sidewinder 2 USB at a yard sale today for $5 complete with owners manual and driver disc. It's my new backup stick should my Sidewinder 1 ever give up the ghost.

DennyA
December 13th, 2009, 08:47
I sincerely doubt XP 64-bit has drivers for the Sidewinder Force Feedback stick. XP 64-bit was a very "niche" version of the OS that came out long after the Sidewinder line was discontinued. (XP 64-bit came out in 2005; Sidewinder was discontinued in 2003.) The 32-bit drivers don't work under XP x64.

You'll need to use XP 32-bit to use the Sidewinder, I'm pretty sure.

wiltzei
January 1st, 2010, 22:46
Could someone send me the Sidewinder software version 4.0 / 4.2 for Win XP, please.

DX-FMJ
January 2nd, 2010, 03:22
I have the original Sidewinder FF Pro (gameport) using under windows 7, 32bit, works fine for me.

Have a look here http://forums.creative.com/t5/Windows-Vista/Gameport-support-pack-for-Vista-32-bit-x86-updated-on-07-07-2009/td-p/386462;jsessionid=93978EA138C8F2C81705F64A42F0B9C6

Unfortunately there is no 64bit version, :(

wiltzei
January 2nd, 2010, 04:07
IŽd like to obtain the USB (versio 4.2) driver in order to enable some of Force Feedback 2's extra functions by altering some files.

robonav1
January 3rd, 2010, 15:13
I have the original Sidewinder FF Pro (gameport) using under windows 7, 32bit, works fine for me.

Have a look here http://forums.creative.com/t5/Windows-Vista/Gameport-support-pack-for-Vista-32-bit-x86-updated-on-07-07-2009/td-p/386462;jsessionid=93978EA138C8F2C81705F64A42F0B9C6

Unfortunately there is no 64bit version, :(

I think I must install seven 32 bit...maybe it is possible to install a virtual machine at 64 bit too?