PDA

View Full Version : Flight sim video music. What's your style?

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 16:47
I have only attempted to make flight sim videos over the years I've been involved with simulation. Never anything I deemed worthy of uploading, period.

But the music that accompanies the videos is so varied!

I have a real life Blue Angel video (transferred from VHS format) with I think is perfect for that type of aerobatics.....it is Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart"........ It's almost as if it was written for that video.

v0Y2g3zOzZM&feature=youtube_gdata

YEAH, KICK IT!!

NC

Helldiver
December 11th, 2009, 17:07
Chief, I doubt very strongly that Butch Voris would never put up with that racket. There's not a music instrument in it. It's all guitars and drums. All rhythm instruments. O.K. for an unshaven, pimple faced kid but not for the Blue Angels or as we called them, The U.S. Navy Flight Exhibition Team

Kiwikat
December 11th, 2009, 17:09
I like flightsim videos where there is no music or it is quiet so you can hear the engines and sounds from the plane. :kilroy:

bkeske
December 11th, 2009, 17:42
Ditto

mfitch
December 11th, 2009, 17:44
Hearing the plane sounds is also a favorite of mine. Overly loud music will be turned off when watching videos.

Tweek
December 11th, 2009, 17:54
Videos of real aircraft - engine noise will do fine.

Videos of virtual - a mix of both engine noise and music. I can't say what style of music as it would differ with different sorts of videos, but if a video has had some production put into it, I think it'd sound a bit silly with just engine noise. If I want to listen to just the engines, then I'll load Flight Sim up myself. If I watch a video, I want to be impressed by it, and the sound of a Lycoming engine buzzing away isn't exactly going to captivate me! There's a reason they stick soundtracks on movies, and for the same reasons, a well produced video (as opposed to "here is me flying from Airport X to Airport Y in my Piper PA28") should incorporate some kind of soundtrack too.

Unless it's music from Top Gun. Then the cheese factor outweighs any benefits of having any kind of music at all. Out and out silence would be preferable!

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 18:32
Chief, I doubt very strongly that Butch Voris would never put up with that racket. There's not a music instrument in it. It's all guitars and drums. All rhythm instruments. O.K. for an unshaven, pimple faced kid but not for the Blue Angels or as we called them, The U.S. Navy Flight Exhibition Team

I guess you'd have to see the Blue Angel video I'm talking about, Helldiver:mixedsmi:

The video was given to me by one of their maintenance personnel who had previously been a shipmate of mine in another squadron. The unique thing about the video is that it was made by one of the pilots as a "in house-type" recording. Somehow that song fits the video. But I understand why you wouldn't like it. It is a lot of noise! My tastes are so varied!

NC

Shylock
December 11th, 2009, 20:06
I guess you'd have to see the Blue Angel video I'm talking about, Helldiver:mixedsmi:

The video was given to me by one of their maintenance personnel who had previously been a shipmate of mine in another squadron. The unique thing about the video is that it was made by one of the pilots as a "in house-type" recording. Somehow that song fits the video. But I understand why you wouldn't like it. It is a lot of noise! My tastes are so varied!

NC

Its not the the real Blue Angels but when we practice kick start my heart gets me in the right frame of mind. Check this out you can skip ahead to about 16:16. Our first attempt at a half squirrel cage. For me tho my favorite part of the demo is the Diamond Roll which I used to hate the song that plays for it until the Blues started using it and the Double Farvel. In this link the Double Farvel narration was off because I got kicked from the session. Go figure.

http://livestream.com/fsxblueangels/video?dirId=8191593612678622283&clipId=pla_705298da-3c34-4379-8b95-bed64a89d342

This one was a better practice but we were out a number 4 due to his hunting trip. This video take off is at 13:40. Solo's are a little ruff and camera guy is getting better. Keep in mind these are practices. Go Navy!!!
http://livestream.com/fsxblueangels/video?dirId=8191593612678622283&clipId=pla_705298da-3c34-4379-8b95-bed64a89d342

cheezyflier
December 11th, 2009, 20:10
not a fan of the crue, but i do like that song. there used to be a harrier video from the virtual marines or someone that used that song. i loved that video. it's gone now. generally i agree with tweek. if it's real aircraft i usually want to hear it. if it's a sim video, it should prolly have a soundtrack.

alot of the newer stuff that passes for rock these days is a little too whiny for my taste though. rock is supposed to kick a55, not cry about it.
i bet the surviving ramones cringe everytime someone calls greenday punk :icon_lol:

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 21:14
Shylock,

You guys are nothing short of amazing! The one practice I witnessed a couple months ago demonstrated a level of simulation skill I had never seen before.
Outstanding!!!

Go NAVAIR!

NC

Quixoticish
December 12th, 2009, 02:42

Back in my day we had to walk FIFTEEN miles in the snow, with NO SHOES!

Lewis-A2A
December 12th, 2009, 02:45

:ernae::engel016:

Lewis-A2A
December 12th, 2009, 02:46
This shouldnt work, but it does,..

F-x7OEgFJIE

SkippyBing
December 12th, 2009, 03:03
This shouldnt work, but it does,..

Oh that it does!

dhl1986
December 12th, 2009, 03:31
In my opinion if the subject matter doesn't include strippers, whiskey, or motorcycles, Motley Crue doesn't fit it. Without sounding overly patronizing to the fans of that band, I would say you'd be better off using music with a fanbase that can count all of their fingers and toes...

Cazzie
December 12th, 2009, 03:32
Only when I soar, then ambient music, New/Old Age dreamy stuff. Enya.

Hey Chief, guess what? I make fly-bys of Flight Sim aircraft that have outrageous good sound files, cut the audio out and make my own CD of aircraft sounds for my car. The doctor says I might get better, but I will never get well. :icon_lol:

Caz

colihamp
December 12th, 2009, 04:18
I put together an FSX video with some music a while back. Check it out if you like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqqmamEVdo

jmig
December 12th, 2009, 04:34

That was my generation. His did it with no shoes or jacket. I know, my father told me so. He wouldn't lie.

:pop4:

Navy Chief
December 12th, 2009, 04:49
I put together an FSX video with some music a while back. Check it out if you like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqqmamEVdo

I had seen that before. Great video! Thanks!

NC

Helldiver
December 12th, 2009, 05:06
To get an idea of what can come of a marriage of aircraft and music the Alphasim Alaskan PBY with the sounds of Paris seems to go together.
It can be seen at YouTube called:

CAT_in_ACV1_001_HI

stansdds
December 12th, 2009, 05:41
My favorite flight sim music...

tz59GEj-xFA

O85fejqJnl8

The only thing better is two of them...

vH7S-eGOA7U

I wouldn't mind seeing a FSX native Tigercat.

MCDesigns
December 12th, 2009, 12:48
In my opinion if the subject matter doesn't include strippers, whiskey, or motorcycles, Motley Crue doesn't fit it. Without sounding overly patronizing to the fans of that band, I would say you'd be better off using music with a fanbase that can count all of their fingers and toes...

To late, that was overly patronizing. now off to count my fingers and toes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cool video NC.

tracyq144
December 12th, 2009, 17:33
forget it, I am lost

cheezyflier
December 12th, 2009, 19:06
forget it, I am lost

just hit shift 3 to bring up your gps :icon_lol:

Lotus
December 12th, 2009, 20:51
Unless it's music from Top Gun. Then the cheese factor outweighs any benefits of having any kind of music at all. Out and out silence would be preferable!

Agreed! :)

Funny thing I find with any kind of hip hop in FS videos too is that while it doesn't work very often, when it does work, it really works.

Myself, I like something both high tech and emotional music wise, elements which represent the two main aspects of flying to me.

99% of the time when flying I usually have something like this absolutely cranked. Actually you could say this scene was the ultimate sim flight in a way, at least distance wise, and with some pretty killer time compression, 18 hours in one second. :)

M9JiQEVZncg&

-Mike

Bjoern
December 13th, 2009, 11:23
Whatever tune works; as long as the cuts are somehow in sync with the music.

Tunes I find suitable for FS videos:
UXygJTlqa2k

K_CQ0zvsZ_o

Shylock
December 15th, 2009, 12:49
This is the only song to really fly too lol great movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFzMzu6Gjt0