PDA

View Full Version : Making the best...

Tom Clayton
December 11th, 2009, 15:22
Don't know if I'll be around here much, but I caught a rare "photo op" today. I can't get the park I live in to unclog a drain in my driveway, so it's constantly under water. Last night, it froze. Today I went out to walk the dog and was wearing polarized shades. I looked down at the ice and spotted the colors, and remembered the polarizing filter that we hardly ever use...

GT182
December 11th, 2009, 16:37
Nice photo Tom. :applause: Isn't it funny all the good photos that come from our unfortunate circumstances and we forget to use an appropriate filter. At least you didn't for this one.

I never go out without my amber polarized Panama Jack sunglasses. Wish I could say the same for my camera. :redface: LOL

Chacha
December 11th, 2009, 16:38
wow...

That's a cool shot!

I have a few of those... let me check... :running:

Tom Clayton
December 11th, 2009, 17:21
Of course the REAL issue is that I ride my bike year-round, and I get to pull in and out of my driveway across that ice!:running:

luckydog
December 11th, 2009, 17:47
Here ya go Tom,

a little contrast, color, light, cropping, and rotation.......

Cloud9Gal
December 11th, 2009, 17:57
Tom! Great photo op!!

LD~ love the retouch edition- would make a great wallpaper!

Tom Clayton
December 11th, 2009, 18:49
Very cool! Yeah, I've got a couple of tools that can enhance and such, it's just that there was too much crap stuck in the ice. Maybe if it had been at the edge of a pond it would have been cleaner, but I don't get that lucky!:isadizzy:

luckydog
December 11th, 2009, 23:09
Tighter crop:

ya gotta get in close, bro !!

Cazzie
December 12th, 2009, 08:48
Nice shot Tom.

I see phychodelia all the time when I have my nieces out and we play "let's make crystals" to view under cross-polar filters in my microscope.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/tylenol.jpg

jmig
December 12th, 2009, 09:18
I think you guys are taking something chemical...

that looks like some of the things my old stoned college roommate use to describe late at night.

:bump::running:

Cazzie
December 12th, 2009, 09:48
I am from your generation John. :icon_lol:

I have seen things that would make Peter Max shutter. :isadizzy:

Recrystallized household sugar under cross-polar filters:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/sugar.jpg

Micrasterias algae under dark_field illumination, an alien if I ever saw one.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/micrasterias.jpg

Caz

Tom Clayton
December 12th, 2009, 12:09
That sugar looks wild - and the best part is you can eat it when you're done!

Cazzie
December 12th, 2009, 12:28
That sugar looks wild - and the best part is you can eat it when you're done!

It is a very thin layer of sugar crystals Tom. The kids and I first put the sugar into a hyper solution of warm water and stir until dissolved. Then each kid gets a slide and an eye dropper and they take a little of the hyper solution and apply a drop to a slide and let the sugar recrystalize at room temperature (force drying will not reduce good results). Once they have recrystalized, we view each slide at 40X with cross-polar filters. Cross-polarization with a light microscope is tremendous. Under standard cross-polarization, the standard colors of the spectrum come through, but all one need do is add a clear compensator filter to the microscope filter holder and you will get the reverse colors of the spectrum. The sugar was shot with a compensator, the Tylenol without the filter. It's neat.

Caz

Chacha
December 12th, 2009, 15:12
wow, interesting.....

Is your microscope is connected to your computer? :applause:

Cloud9Gal
December 12th, 2009, 15:24
Cazz- in the last picture, it almost looks like colored aluminum foil...pretty!

jmig
December 12th, 2009, 16:02
Caz, are you a Science teacher?

Cazzie
December 13th, 2009, 06:02
Caz, are you a Science teacher?

No John, I am just weird, but once you get to know me, you realize that the things I do are merely the idiosyncrasies of a unique mind at play. :icon_lol:

I believe and have always believed that a person is never too old to learn a new thing, so I have taught myself and others all my life. That's a static problem with many college graduates, including professionals. They get that degree and figure there is no more education for them to learn. How wrong they all are.

And no, I am not an intellect or all that intelligent, I am just a learned man, who continues learning by reading and hands on experience. Reading comprehension to me should be the most required course in all of public education. If one can read and comprehend what one is reading, the world is an open book and no other subject matter will be that difficult.

Caz

jmig
December 13th, 2009, 12:03
No John, I am just weird, but once you get to know me, you realize that the things I do are merely the idiosyncrasies of a unique mind at play. :icon_lol:

I believe and have always believed that a person is never too old to learn a new thing, so I have taught myself and others all my life. That's a static problem with many college graduates, including professionals. They get that degree and figure there is no more education for them to learn. How wrong they all are.

And no, I am not an intellect or all that intelligent, I am just a learned man, who continues learning by reading and hands on experience. Reading comprehension to me should be the most required course in all of public education. If one can read and comprehend what one is reading, the world is an open book and no other subject matter will be that difficult.

Caz
Only thing "Weird" about you is that you are an educated man in an increasing ignorant country. I love you attitude.

:medals:

Chacha
December 13th, 2009, 12:07
:salute:

To you Cazzie! ... I knew something is up with you.... :ernae: Cheers to you!

I wasn't wrong about you... I knew it....