PDA

View Full Version : Power hungry?

ronvking
December 10th, 2009, 21:05
In the few days I've had ROF the one thing I've noticed is how power hungry it is. As soon as I start up the sim, even just in the hanger, my CPU runs flat out.

On the second day I was in a good dogfight when the system stopped altogether and it turned out that my PSU had died on me (550 watt supply on a home build system recently upgraded to an AMD quad 2.6 CPU) and I have to wonder if ROF helped in its demise.

On task manager I've seen all four processors going at near 100 per cent and the memory climbs very rapidly to 2 gig. I don't have any others that go like that but I can see why others are reporting stutters etc. I don't even have all the options notched up to thier highest.

gajit
December 10th, 2009, 23:18
Its very odd as I can use ROF with full settings but cannot get a good FPS with buildings or clouds in FSX.

Ferry_vO
December 11th, 2009, 03:58
I must say that my framerate did improve with the latest 1.009 patch.

Gajit: FsX is still based on the ancient Fs2002 engine, while RoF uses the latest techniques to render an image.

gajit
December 11th, 2009, 09:08
Tx Ferry - I also enjoy the vc shadows and bloom that i cant get in FSX.

Snuffy
December 11th, 2009, 09:12
I never thought to check my installation for usage ...

I'm currently considering scrapping the .net 3.5 and starting over again.

I've wiped my machine clean there are no vestiages of ROF on my system now. 1.009 shot it in the butt for me.

I did find a "fix" for the patch 1.009 problem, and that was a manual correction to the patch path to reinstall 1.008

May try that this weekend.