View Full Version : WANTED: Pilots!

PRB
December 10th, 2009, 15:06
Pilots needed!
No experience necessary!
Must have your own plane.
Adventure guaranteed.
Starting pay is “negotiable”
No benefits, no medical, and you must do your own taxes.

We are about to start our first practice session for the up-coming Round The World race. Here's how it works: Every February, four teams (SOH, AVSIM, FlightSim, and FS-MP) compete in a virtual race around the world. The race is conducted in the form of a “relay race” where a “virtual baton” is picked up a released at airports around the world by team members flying it there. As one pilot drops the baton, another one picks it up, and so on. The first team to get back to the originating airport wins. Simple! Well, ok, it's not quite that simple. There are a page or two of rules that govern how it's done. Since 2005, when Team SOH first entered this annual contest, we have won the “big trophy” one time. We are always looking for new team members.

We are starting our first practice session a little early this year (Dec 11 2009), since we kind of figured we needed a little extra practice after last year... This practice is simply to get back to the basics of baton hand-offs, and to practice flying in bad weather and darkness. To that end, in this first practice we will circumnavigate the globe by staying above 50 degrees latitude, where it's cold, dark, and snowy!

If you are interested, drop by the RTW Multi-Player forum

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=6 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)

Dangerousdave26
December 10th, 2009, 18:33
This is a repost of the same post I made in the FS9 forum.

The same applies here in FSX.

Pilots needed!
No experience necessary!
Must have your own plane.
Adventure guaranteed.
Starting pay is “negotiable”
No benefits, no medical, and you must do your own taxes.

I would add you don't need to be even a particularly good pilot either. Those skills come faster than you might believe in Practice. :icon_lol:

For many of you this is your chance to Represent your home Forum.

www.sim-outhouse.com (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../).

Its a chance to show the other two or three teams what this site is made of.

Its a chance for you to do honor to the modelers who made the fine aircraft we fly. Many of whom call the Sim-Outhouse their home forum.

Its an honor to advance the Baton in dcc's P-38, Gnoopey's P-47M or Milton Shupe's Howard 500 better than that its an honor to fly Wingman to these same men of which I have had the proud honor to do.

Imagine flying Gnoopey's B-29 for the first time. The flight is from SCIP to SCFX into an un lighted airstrip a small island in the middle of nowhere. The whole time getting first hand instructions from Gnoopey on how to land the plane with him on the runway providing the lights so you can land. I had never flown the B-29 prior to that day.

Picture shot by Tom as he was in day light but trust me it was dark. :applause:

Because of this bunch of Nuts :applause: (that's right Nuts we are) in my first practice I ran the P-38 out of gas and crashed (Wingman to PRB). Flew into a mountain in Greenland in the dark and crashed (Wingman to Moparmike). Belly landed the P-47M from about 50' AGL (twice :icon_lol:) and crashed. Splattered the Default Lear 45 all over a run way in Greece (Practice Baton).

It was after the Mountain incident in Greenland that I learned how to use the GPS in FS9. Wow what a great tool. dcc provided me instructions on how to land the P-38 which is easy enough to do if your anyone than me at that time. Coming into Miami I extended the gear too soon too fast and had a small issue with the nose gear but I did not crash. I slowed it down gradually and easyed it onto the nose wheel. It stayed up. Wow what a trip that was.

I flew my first P-51, Bearcat, Tiger Cat, and F4U-5NF Corsair (Wing to fliger747) all successfully I might add. I added jets and helicopters to my list of things I can do in a pinch but scare me to death.

I spent some time reading some old posts the other day. It brought back a lot of memories of conversations we had on TS or places we have flown under extreme conditions. I really have had a Great time flying with these guys. There is no too way about it. Yes we all want win and trust me the event is a whole lot of fun to win but in the end just being here and doing it is worth the memories.

So if what is holding back is fear that you are not good enough to fly in the race...

Forget that just join us by the end of the event you will have had a good time, met some of your fellow Out-House members and who knows maybe you will surprise yourself with talents you did not know you had.

Smilo I look forward to flying Wingman to you. :ernae:

Paul congratulations :icon29:

harleyman
December 11th, 2009, 01:50
I just don't have the time...BUT

Bring that trophy on home this year guys...

Best of luck for a great race this year ! :ernae:

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 08:34
IT'S JANUARY 6TH - or about 6 weeks until the start of the Round The World Race.

Over the next while we will be running a practice (or two) and making sure everyone is up to speed on the basic rules and required/optional software used. As we are now getting down to the details a lot of it will be conducted in a closed forum (for Team Members only) so...

IF YOU ARE WILLING AND INTERESTED IN HELPING TEAM SOH we need you on the list.
Scan back through this thread, then pop over to the Around the World/Multiplayer Forum for more details and drop your name in the hat at:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=27782

Previous race and multiplayer experience is NOT required (we provide free training and support) but pride in the Outhouse and skill in flying (crashes are very detrimental to the team standing) are prerequisites.
For those who are unsure, stop by and inquire.

C'mon people --- out of 15 THOUSAND members there have got to be some with the Right Stuff :mixedsmi:

Rob

MudMarine
January 6th, 2010, 09:01
I'd like to but I can't get on!

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 10:33
MM, check your PM's