PDA

View Full Version : AT&T may start to fine Iphone users

hey_moe
December 10th, 2009, 02:40
And the hits just keep coming in>> http://www.dailytech.com/ATT+May+Fine+IPhone+Users+for+Using+Too+Much+of+It s+Unlimited+Data/article17088.htm

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 03:54
Eeeeks! :isadizzy: :isadizzy:

Cratermaker
December 10th, 2009, 03:59
I love the picture in the article.

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 04:03
This one....

cheezyflier
December 10th, 2009, 07:17
the really neat part is how it will have no effect on me what so ever, because i wouldn't own one if someone tried to give it to me :173go1:

OBIO
December 10th, 2009, 07:37
the really neat part is how it will have no effect on me what so ever, because i wouldn't own one if someone tried to give it to me :173go1:

What he said!

OBIO

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 07:39
What he said!

OBIO

I think he meant, he will not own one even someone tried to give it to him...

:isadizzy:

Dain Arns
December 10th, 2009, 07:41
I'd own one, I enjoyed having a touch screen phone I had through my former job. But there is no way in hell I would use AT&T as the service. :monkies:

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 07:49
I'd own one, I enjoyed having a touch screen phone I had through my former job. But there is no way in hell I would use AT&T as the service. :monkies:

I am also one of the privileged few (blessed) who owns one, I enjoy the touch screen and all the crazy features it has... :isadizzy:

OBIO
December 10th, 2009, 07:52
I think he meant, he will not own one even someone tried to give it to him...

:isadizzy:

Yeah, I know what he meant. I wouldn't own one even if someone were to try giving it to me.

I hate cell phones. We have one...a pre-paid Tracfone that we have had for 5 plus years. No camera on it, no keyboard on it, no video screen on it. Simple phone with a power button, buttons to dial the number we want to call. A phone......not a phone/camera/TV/computer/video game/dating service/GPS/fortune teller/LIFE. We have it for emergency use, for piece of mind when we go to Walmart at 2 in the morning (the only time I can stand being in Walmart...the Walmarts here are virtually empty at 2 am). It is now December 10th, and our phone has not been turned on since the middle of November. No one knows the number to call us on our cell phone...no point in anyone having the number since we only turn it on when WE want to make a quick call. Heck, we don't even know our cell phone number...and we've had the same number on it for the entire time we have had it.

Every three months, we add 3 months of service time to the phone at a cost of 30 dollars. We make maybe one phone call a month....so each call is costing us 10 bucks...really a waste of money. But, it is an expense that we will continue to pay...now that winter has hit and we have our first snow fall, Deb will insist that I take the phone with me everytime I leave the house...just in case I have car trouble.

OBIO

Henry
December 10th, 2009, 07:59
i carry a cheap cell phone with me most of the time
i will not use it while driving
but it is handy if the car breaks down
or when i do honey do's
my daughters into high tech and loves all the
add ons
not me its a form of emergency
H

traindriver98
December 10th, 2009, 08:04
I too have a pre-paid phone. I use it mostly as a phone book, but otherwise," It's a phone people, talk to me, don't text me.":monkies:

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2009, 08:05
My sister has an I-phone, and lives in Indy. I sent her this article, but don't know if it affects her or not. But I DO know she uses that phone a LOT.

The ONLY reason I even have a cell phone is when I travel, which isn't often. There isn't cell phone coverage where I live. I have to drive 15 minutes to even pick it up.

NC

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 08:12
Yeah, I know what he meant. I wouldn't own one even if someone were to try giving it to me.

I hate cell phones. We have one...a pre-paid Tracfone that we have had for 5 plus years. No camera on it, no keyboard on it, no video screen on it. Simple phone with a power button, buttons to dial the number we want to call. A phone......not a phone/camera/TV/computer/video game/dating service/GPS/fortune teller/LIFE. We have it for emergency use, for piece of mind when we go to Walmart at 2 in the morning (the only time I can stand being in Walmart...the Walmarts here are virtually empty at 2 am). It is now December 10th, and our phone has not been turned on since the middle of November. No one knows the number to call us on our cell phone...no point in anyone having the number since we only turn it on when WE want to make a quick call. Heck, we don't even know our cell phone number...and we've had the same number on it for the entire time we have had it.

Every three months, we add 3 months of service time to the phone at a cost of 30 dollars. We make maybe one phone call a month....so each call is costing us 10 bucks...really a waste of money. But, it is an expense that we will continue to pay...now that winter has hit and we have our first snow fall, Deb will insist that I take the phone with me everytime I leave the house...just in case I have car trouble.

OBIO

Hey OBIO,

My daughter has a Tracfone as well, (she had a blackberry once - her dad paid for it and she is only 8 years old). I suggested we cut the blackberry, because she doesn't need it.... it took him a year to really cut her phone, but for his peace of mind, I purchased her a tracfone, It is always off (especially at school) we use it only when we travel... and emergency.... I noticed that every month, they send a free 68 minutes/units to the phone line - that is between last days of every month and the first days of the next month.

Try turning it on between the 27th and the 5th.... that's the days they send a free... the last one I received was 11/30/09....

The phone she has is good for a year, right now she has 198 service days and 515.10 minutes.... I started with 60 something minutes, however, at the end of the 198 days, if we do not use the minutes it will disappear :pop4:

MaddogK
December 10th, 2009, 10:06
"Streaming media"
...killed my internet, now it's taking down the phone system. I wonder how people with only T.V./VCR's, and radios survived.

Lionheart
December 10th, 2009, 10:34
This is just crazy.. Leave it to a cell phone giant to come up with this.

Another words, they cant fix it, they wont back their promise. Instead, they will make more money off of the guys that are using the devices under their contracts legally to do what they bought these things for.

Their fines will generate tons of profit. Some people will probably be fined that didnt do this, as I know how cell phone companies work.

I imagine that att make so much money that the upgrade bill they talk about, which is probably bloated, is a drop in the bucket compared with what the make.

This shows you that att cannot handle the success of iPhone and another carrier should be picked. This shows you also that att couldnt run with the ball and grow with the giant. They want to remain a small, antiquated system, and that should show Apple they need to drop att like a hot potatoe and just come out with their own wireless service...

Bill

cheezyflier
December 10th, 2009, 11:37
isp's did the same thing. "get awesome speed, get cable internet"
then once we started making use of the speed, they said "woah!!! your using too much bandwidth" and now we all have capped service or pay too much for the unlimited service we already had.

follow the $$. we are talking about all the same people, running the same scam they learned when the were just cable television providers.
i won't participate in those games

Lionheart
December 10th, 2009, 12:43
isp's did the same thing. "get awesome speed, get cable internet"
then once we started making use of the speed, they said "woah!!! your using too much bandwidth" and now we all have capped service or pay too much for the unlimited service we already had.

follow the $$. we are talking about all the same people, running the same scam they learned when the were just cable television providers.
i won't participate in those games

Yep....

<--- one of those victims..

GT182
December 10th, 2009, 12:55
We have a prepaid cellphone but it's thru AT&T. I don't and won't use it while driving. Usually the wife has it in her possesion which is fine by me, I hate the dam things.

Wittpilot
December 10th, 2009, 15:47
I can completely understand why some like Obio have no real use for it... But one thing that is super nice about the iPhone and other smart phones... are the little add-ons you wouldn't think about, like a GPS locator... I'm NEVER lost...and I can switch that to satelite view if need be and it gives live traffic updates for the bigger cities... I do talk on the phone while driving, but never in congested areas, or if the roads are busy/icy/ wet.... I also love having email right there too, and eBay!!! I've bought a few things "on the go"!

-witt

Lionheart
December 10th, 2009, 18:04
I told myself, when I was going to buy my iPhone, that I would get a blue-tooth so I could do both hands on the wheel driving while talking on the phone, no matter what people thought of the guy that appeared to be talking to himself, lol..

Done.. If I dont have my BlueTooth, my new 3GS has super loud speakers which I use for Speaker Phone mode in the car.

My darn iPhone is just about the coolest thing I have owned yet.. Presently, I use the Dictionary, the Bible, Wallace and Grommet App Comic Books, World Time Clock, Timer, Awesome Note, the Video Cam (moms birthday last night), a game called Airline USA (ChaCha, its most addictive), and a few other apps, as well as its good music playing qualities (I hook it up into my iMac in Windows mode and listen to tunes while working), and WeatherChannel.com for extreme weather reports on the fly.

Its like a tiny laptop that is smaller then a wallet....

For att to start charging people 'extra' for what it offers is rediculous.. Apple, get someone else! They evidently cant handle it.... At $175.00 a month for unlimited service, while my land line is a mere $25.00, I'd better be able to download a baseball game... Bottom line!

Bill

Panther_99FS
December 10th, 2009, 18:41
Ah yes...
Another epic battle between the lovers & the haters...:mixedsmi:

Chacha
December 10th, 2009, 18:43
AT&T has pretty much monopolize the iPhone....

Let iPhone be available to other carriers and lets see how others deliver...

I wish Verizon will carry the iPhone in the next few months....

I don't abuse the data use on my iPhone... but i work it to the fullest, that is what is is made for - and I pay for it... $30 a month, unlimited use... so why limit the unlimited.... :isadizzy: so don't call it unlimited if you want users to use limited data use... :icon_eek:

One of the coolest thing I have own is the iPhone. I can do without, I have other coolest things...

Yes, I enjoy the games, Yahoo messenger, MMS, Bible, Dictionary, Weather Channel, Pandora, Skype, Movies, XPlane, Airport Mania, Google Voice Search, Jet Fighters, Voice Memos, among others... but that is what iPhone is made of, a phone/camera/recorder/computer/TV/game/GPS/compact mirror/weight loss advisor/iPod/workout tracker/event reminder/spell checker...etc.
(did I miss something)

PS...

Send me a copy of the birthday video

FengZ
December 10th, 2009, 19:48
Believe or not, but i don't use a cellphone at all. When running multiple companies, it just got crazy w/ non-stop calls and SMSs. So half a year ago, i turned it off to see what would happen. Well, it took about 2 month to get used to it...but now i love it. These days, i tell people "call my office" or "e-mail" me....feels so good not having to worry about a phone....

-feng

Allen
December 10th, 2009, 21:42
The use of the word "unlimited" in there unlimited plan may get them sued soon or there going to have to void some contracks.

Willy
December 10th, 2009, 21:57
From my experiences with AT&T on internet service, I wouldn't go near them for cell phone service. They are just not worth the headache and in my experience you can't believe a thing they say.

We've got Verizon and my cell is just a plain phone that I only carry with me when I'm leaving the house by myself. I might make 10 calls a month on it. I've got limited texting, but don't use that other than to receive a text message. I'll call someone before sending a text.

Quixoticish
December 11th, 2009, 02:47
NOD32 just blocked a Trojan coming off one of the ads on that page.

Be wary if you haven't got a decent virus package installed.

hey_moe
December 11th, 2009, 03:11
Chris, I have been going to that site for the past 2 years and NEVER had a problem with trojans or any type of add ware.

Quixoticish
December 11th, 2009, 03:13
Chris, I have been going to that site for the past 2 years and NEVER had a problem with trojans or any type of add ware.

Sorry Moe, I'm just relaying what happened.

Snuffy
December 11th, 2009, 03:21
I'm perfectly happy with my razor ... I just need to reconsider my provider. :173go1:

jmig
December 11th, 2009, 03:32
My business partner has an IPhone and loves it. After my Motorola Q died for the third time a very close friend recommended Black Berry. I bought one and I am really happy with it.

We use AT&T as a company. I find their service to be fine 98% of the time. There are places that I go where there is no phone service, however. As for Internet, I only use it on occasion to check weather, airline flights, etc.

I here Verizon has much better G3 coverage than AT&T. But, since I don't need G3, it isn't a issue for me.

cheezyflier
December 11th, 2009, 06:47
Believe or not, but i don't use a cellphone at all. When running multiple companies, it just got crazy w/ non-stop calls and SMSs. So half a year ago, i turned it off to see what would happen. Well, it took about 2 month to get used to it...but now i love it. These days, i tell people "call my office" or "e-mail" me....feels so good not having to worry about a phone....

-feng

when i read this post, i cheered for you :applause:
now, if only this wisdom was contagious. :wavey:

Bjoern
December 11th, 2009, 08:49
My Samsung Omnia HD > iPhone.

Lionheart
December 11th, 2009, 09:24
JMig,

My sister has one and loves it. Nice little phone. The keyboard is a real plus.

FengZ,

Thats awesome man. I imagine you have a TON of calls from everywhere, so I can really understand your point of view. Sweet freedom...

For me, with att service, its been good so far. Usually by now with my former providers, they would have attached other serivices, taken out a huge payment for no reason and lose the records of the transaction, etc, etc....

The only down side on mine is that my service is very weak. Usually just one or two bars. At times, there are dead zones right here in Phoenix and sometimes up north in Flagstaff. When you are in a city, you shouldnt have this. A city the size of New York.... Thats just unexcuseable.. Its all compacted inside of a small area. They practically started cell phones there..

Bill