PDA

View Full Version : Sauk Prairie WIP

falcon409
December 9th, 2009, 19:08
I have to find out who requested this one, so I can get some info on what I'm seeing near the airport. Looks like a small amusement park but not sure. Just in the early stage and so no color correction has been done.

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 19:18
It was me. I'm not sure what that building is. I can't say that I've been on that particular road just to the south of the airport.

Did you figure out whether you could do the ammunition plant?

It's looking nice so far! :ernae:

falcon409
December 9th, 2009, 19:27
It was me. I'm not sure what that building is. I can't say that I've been on that particular road just to the south of the airport.
Did you figure out whether you could do the ammunition plant?
It's looking nice so far!
Great. . . .Ok, I'll just continue on then and maybe I can find some more info on it that will tell me what it might be.

The Ammo Plant. . .yes I can, however the buildings/bunkers on that sprawling complex are very unique. Nothing I have will match it so not sure what you want to do about that. The main buildings up near the entrance and a few others can be replaced by scenery objects that are similar and that would probably work. Those odd shaped dudes will be a different story though.

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 19:30
Great. . . .Ok, I'll just continue on with then and maybe I can find some more info on it that will tell me what it might be.

The Ammo Plant. . .yes I can, however the buildings/bunkers on that sprawling complex are very unique. Nothing I have will match it so not sure what you want to do about that. The main buildings up near the entrance and a few others can be replaced by scenery objects that are similar and that would probably work. Those odd shaped dudes will be a different story though.

Have you seen pictures of it from the ground? Some of the buildings are absolutely weird. There was a PBS special made on it several years back and it showed quite a few of the structures in there. Very very cool stuff. Makes me wonder what they got hiding in there still...

Don't worry about doing anything for the weird buildings. Most of the buildings except for those at the main gate are being ripped down anyways.

As for that place south of the airport:

http://www.saukprairieairport.com/DSCF0047.JPG

http://www.saukprairieairport.com/DSCF0048.JPG

http://www.saukprairieairport.com/Istmus%20flight%20040.jpg

It looks to be a business of some sort.

tigisfat
December 9th, 2009, 20:05
You're doing a great service for the community by pumping these things out. Thank you very much. :ernae:

falcon409
December 9th, 2009, 21:39
Kiwikat,
Great stuff there. That'll be a big help in placing objects once I get to that point. Thanks for checking that out.:ernae:

Tigisfat,
Thus far, it's been a good experience in basic scenery design really, so the more the merrier. As long as folks are able to enjoy the scenery I've been doing then I'm glad to be able to produce these airports that give a bit more reality to the sim experience.:icon29:

falcon409
December 10th, 2009, 05:39
Moving farther along now. Autogen in place, rwy moved to correct location. I'll start laying in the hangars and various buildings now.

icycle
December 10th, 2009, 06:06
Great project you have there!!

It has been a few weeks since I've been past there (on US Hwy 12). The buildings to the SE are, I believe, a sports medicine clinic (I think Mueller Sports Medicine??). Also, on the SW side, where the driveway loops in, and then back out, is a fair sized light brown pre-fab metal hanger. It looks tall enough to house a good sized private prop & or even a small jet (maybe even have 2nd floor spaces??). Have never, ever, seen any vehicles, or activity around it, but it is kept in great condition, so somebody with $$$$ must own it.

Anyway looking forward to this, as it is only 15 miles from my home!!!

Bill

GaryGB
December 10th, 2009, 08:12
Hi Ed:

I sent you a PM here at SOH ! :kilroy:

GaryGB

falcon409
December 10th, 2009, 09:06
Great project you have there!!
It has been a few weeks since I've been past there (on US Hwy 12). The buildings to the SE are, I believe, a sports medicine clinic (I think Mueller Sports Medicine??). Also, on the SW side, where the driveway loops in, and then back out, is a fair sized light brown pre-fab metal hanger. It looks tall enough to house a good sized private prop & or even a small jet (maybe even have 2nd floor spaces??). Have never, ever, seen any vehicles, or activity around it, but it is kept in great condition, so somebody with $$$$ must own it.
Anyway looking forward to this, as it is only 15 miles from my home!!!
Bill
Thanks Bill, good info on the buildings there. Since I don't have the expertise to do custom buildings, I'm stuck with either default or scenery object libraries, but they've been successful thus far, so they should work here as well.

Kiwikat
December 10th, 2009, 09:20
That is looking really good Ed! I can't wait to see what you are going to do for the ammo plant. That'll take a while I'm sure. Lots of autogen placement... :isadizzy:

:ernae:

falcon409
December 10th, 2009, 11:28
This area is complete. I've got three packages to post for download (Sauk-Prairie, Winters Aire and Dwight Field), so now I've got to get all those packaged up and uploaded.

Kiwikat
December 10th, 2009, 11:31
This area is complete. I've got three packages to post for download (Sauk-Prairie, Winters Aire and Dwight Field), so now I've got to get all those packaged up and uploaded.

Wow that was fast! :isadizzy:

You've really earned one (many) of these :icon29:

falcon409
December 10th, 2009, 11:37
Wow that was fast! :isadizzy:
Yea, it helps immensely if you don't have to labor over custom buildings, lol. I guess, in a way that's one reason I don't just dive into doing custom work, too time consuming.

Kiwikat
December 10th, 2009, 12:16
Ed, is it possible for you to add this area to to the ammunition plant scenery too?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/ammoplant.jpg

It is a place called Bluffview. Back in the day, many workers from the plant lived there.

Bomber_12th
December 10th, 2009, 12:19
Gosh Ed, I just can't get enough of this work you are doing on greatly sprucing up these airports - airports that I otherwise would have never traveled to, are now being made the most use of because of the work you have been doing. While the buildings may not be custom made to match, the scenery libraries you have been using definitely do the job extremely well, and everything always looks very convincing and well populated. I can't help but have a list of about 10 airports in my head that would be great examples to recreate - but I don't want to burn you out too soon - perhaps when you run out of candidates. ;)

Always looking forward to the next example to be made ready!

scott967b
December 10th, 2009, 12:22
Interesting project. I used to go with a girl from North Freedom and spent a lot of time in "Bugaboo", driving by there from Madison all the time.

scott s.

icycle
December 10th, 2009, 14:28
Ed, is it possible for you to add this area to to the ammunition plant scenery too?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/ammoplant.jpg

It is a place called Bluffview. Back in the day, many workers from the plant lived there.

You mean the trailer park? That place is really starting to run down now that the Ammo plant is being dismantled.

Kiwikat
December 10th, 2009, 17:58
You mean the trailer park? That place is really starting to run down now that the Ammo plant is being dismantled.

Yeah, its sad to see all of it go. We've been camping near Devil's Lake for geez, gotta be at least 12 or so years now. The last few we even had a seasonal site. The Baraboo and Merrimac area became like a second home for us.