PDA

View Full Version : BOB goes to Darrington

koorby
December 9th, 2009, 17:19
No aircraft were harmed in the making of this blog :)

As Orbx's airports sceneries become more and more detailed, we felt it was time to introduce "BOB", a freeware addon we'll be releasing that allows you to literally walk around a scenery and freely look around and also hear the sound of your footsteps. BOB is still under development but we hope to release him soon, and continue to develop newer and better versions (i.e. the ability to fishing, ride a bicycle, etc).

http://fullterrain.com/media/bob.jpg

So this video blog is a leisurely walk around the airport and through the township of Darrington using BOB, taking in the wonderful scenery and also the very rich soundscape of the township, from work at the airport hangars, the sawmill, the forest and birds and many other unique sounds.

This is truly more like a Crysis or Call Of Duty walkthrough than a flight sim video.

http://fullterrain.com/media/1s2_walk.jpg

Captured using FRAPS at 1280x720 @25FPS, and edited using Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0 - All sound is captured from FSX directly without editing, except for the two short music tracks added near the end.

PC Specs: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz / Gigabyte EX58-Extreme Mobo / 12GB DDR3 triple-channel RAM / 2x Velociraptor HDs in RAID-0 on a dedicated Adaptec controller / nVidia GTX285 GPU 1GB DDR3 / Samsung 22" LCD monitor @1680x1050x32 / Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler / Thermaltake ToughPower QFan 750W PSU / Thermaltake Spedo full tower case / Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Link - BOB goes to Darrington Muni - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikjfQHQ1Ns#ws)

Enjoy!

LordAkshay798
December 9th, 2009, 17:25
Nice! That's pretty cool!

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2009, 18:47
This sounds very cool, and I can see it would also be great to use it when placing scenery objects!!!!

NC

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2009, 18:59
This sounds very cool, and I can see it would also be great to use it when placing scenery objects!!!!

NC
... and filming ;)

Tylerb59
December 9th, 2009, 19:24
Just missing the infamous barking dog at the first house there. :)

He's a bit nasty.

Great work guys, this is my stomping ground and it's convincingly done. I've been to the hardware store many of times as a rally point as we're enroute through town on a cruise. I think it's cool you have the gas station in there too, which is a where you turn left off 530 onto 20 to head towards Concrete.

Absolutely beatiful area by car or air.

MM
December 9th, 2009, 20:16
BOB could be a "game changer," John.

robcap
December 9th, 2009, 20:50
BOB could be a "game changer," John.You DO need a great scenery for it, like this one. Great job!

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2009, 21:00
Just Flight had something similar in the Rescue Mission package. Shame they didn't think it could be used all by itself.... I welcome this with open hands. :)

Dain Arns
December 9th, 2009, 21:09
You guys are killing me with these videos BTW. :crybaby:

Man, I really didn't realize just how much I miss that area til seeing this video.

"...I feel so broke up, I wanna go home!" :icon_lol:

Sundog
December 9th, 2009, 21:22
Hey, that was Sasquatch, wasn't it? Because I know my strides aren't that long and I'm definitely not that tall!!! ;) Very cool. I think I was actually more impressed by the quality of the "green" areas of the airports. Of course, that is the point of Bob, to see all of the detail up close...:running:

I'll have to walk to the top of a hill and "launch" in a hang glider from there.

koorby
December 9th, 2009, 21:23
Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Yeah we will develop BOB further; make him sit, lie down, jump, swim, talk, yell, fish, ride bikes, skateboards, even have a paint kit for him so you can dress him like a Ken Doll, LOL!

We'll see what the FSX SDK will let us do in terms of pushing the envelope with this one ;)

Pips
December 9th, 2009, 23:32
Brilliant guys, just what's needed to really appreciate all the detail that you put inro the airport development.

Realyy looking forward to the release of BOB, there are a lot of places I want to explore! :)

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 23:59
So does anyone have an around the world trip planned for Bob? The swimming will come in handy. :icon_lol:

foreigndevil
December 10th, 2009, 00:49
This is going to be fantastic! It will completely change the way people use FSX!
But what the video also shows is the absolutely stunning detail of the scenery. Unbelievable! Sooo realistic! You guys make me start believe in miracles!:medals::medals::medals::medals:

Francois
December 10th, 2009, 02:31
ROFL !!!

You're a FAST 'walker' ...... golf cart ?? :ernae:

koorby
December 10th, 2009, 02:55
ROFL !!!

You're a FAST 'walker' ...... golf cart ?? :ernae:

quote "BOB is still under development but we hope to release him soon".

Zorg_DK
December 10th, 2009, 04:30
So does anyone have an around the world trip planned for Bob? The swimming will come in handy. :icon_lol:

LOL. I wonder how long it would take to cross the eath with BOB. Anyone got a lot of free time on their hands? :isadizzy:

It sounds very cool with the ideas you got for BOB.

And awesome scenery!

LordAkshay798
December 10th, 2009, 04:36
Will this work with any scenery?

italoc
December 10th, 2009, 05:20
Will this work with any scenery?

Good question
Italo

Zorg_DK
December 10th, 2009, 05:43
I think it is made like a normal aircraft you can select in the normal hangar menu, so I think yes.

dharris
December 10th, 2009, 05:57
John, any news on when FTX NA Blue will be released? Looking forward to that. These sceneries will help keep fsx alive for a long time to come. Thanks

GaryGB
December 10th, 2009, 07:13
Hi John:

Fabulous video and a fun idea; good to see FS continuing to deliver more of its full potential as a "world sim". :ernae:

BTW: It's also good to see "Bob" finally landing a job again after his 3 years of infamy... and 20 years of unemployment in the PNW. :icon_lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Microsoft_Bob.PNGhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22031&stc=1&d=1260461673

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

Keep up the great work ! :applause:

GaryGB

spotlope
December 10th, 2009, 08:24
Yep, "Microsoft Bob" is now "freelance consultant" Bob.

letsgetrowdy
December 10th, 2009, 09:03
:medals:Wow! A great idea - why jas it not been done before????

JayKae
December 10th, 2009, 11:40
It is the egg of Columbus ;)

MCDesigns
December 10th, 2009, 14:56
Fantastic idea and video, definitely my kind of way to explore airports. I do this kinda thing now my changing the view point in the 206 and changing controls to a slow slew. Now if you can make Bob open aircraft doors and find a way to keep the snow and rain out of modeled buildings, it will be perfect, LOL

Beautiful scenery, but one thing is missing in the video.... PEOPLE! It's like a deserted ghost town, kinda creepy.

DaveKDEN
December 10th, 2009, 16:10
Wonderful! :salute: How about developing a mission for Bob out of darrington? Maybe have to walk around town to find different things needed for you next flight type of deal.

Being from WA State I'll be in line to get the ORBX PNW Blue as soon as it's released (Wife permitting that is :redface:).

koorby
December 11th, 2009, 03:28
Wonderful! :salute: How about developing a mission for Bob out of darrington? Maybe have to walk around town to find different things needed for you next flight type of deal.

Yeah, you're the second person to suggest that; it has a lot of merit and we'll look into it.

koorby
December 12th, 2009, 13:53
John, any news on when FTX NA Blue will be released? Looking forward to that. These sceneries will help keep fsx alive for a long time to come. Thanks

PNW should be released in the northern hemisphere winter. We are aiming fir Xmas but we'll see how things go.

Incidentally, BOB should be released this coming week.

TheOptimist
December 12th, 2009, 14:20
Love it.

Orbx are doing more for FSX than any other company right now. While people like Lotus are pushing the aircraft, Orbx are doing magnificent things with general atmosphere. I really respect these developers.

This would allow full and true aircraft walkarounds. Imagine being able to take a fuel sample from the release valves, or open the cowl cover and look at the oil dipstick. If its low you go into the hangar and pick some up. Lovely.

dswo
December 13th, 2009, 03:50
This would allow full and true aircraft walkarounds. Imagine being able to take a fuel sample from the release valves, or open the cowl cover and look at the oil dipstick. If its low you go into the hangar and pick some up. Lovely.

In theory, yes. But since BOB is himself a vehicle, the aircraft being walked around would have to be AI or multiplayer. As I understand it, you can't use BOB to inspect the aircraft you are about to fly.

I'm still looking forward to this. Several years ago, Bill Lyons had a skater figure that I sometimes used for ground-level screenshots, but he didn't make it into the last couple of installs.

Query: I don't think we have seen BOB in spot plane view. Is he invisible? For screenshots, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

TheOptimist
December 13th, 2009, 04:03
In theory, yes. But since BOB is himself a vehicle, the aircraft being walked around would have to be AI or multiplayer. As I understand it, you can't use BOB to inspect the aircraft you are about to fly.

I'm still looking forward to this. Several years ago, Bill Lyons had a skater figure that I sometimes used for ground-level screenshots, but he didn't make it into the last couple of installs.

Query: I don't think we have seen BOB in spot plane view. Is he invisible? For screenshots, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oh yes, I didn't mean that those things would be possible in the soon-to-be-released version of BOB. I was more referring to the eventual possibilities that it will bring. It sounds like the developers have high expectations (surprise surprise) so I don't see why any of the things I mentioned couldn't be achived.

Also, is BOB definately a vehicle? And not just a modified camera?

Edit: Can someone at OrbX do BOB on a bike and coincidentally release an everest scenery and texture pack? No reason......

koorby
December 13th, 2009, 12:48
Oh yes, I didn't mean that those things would be possible in the soon-to-be-released version of BOB. I was more referring to the eventual possibilities that it will bring. It sounds like the developers have high expectations (surprise surprise) so I don't see why any of the things I mentioned couldn't be achived.

Also, is BOB definately a vehicle? And not just a modified camera?

Edit: Can someone at OrbX do BOB on a bike and coincidentally release an everest scenery and texture pack? No reason......

BOB is an aircraft, albeit a very basic one that cannot fly, but it means you cannot interact with any other aircraft (other than FSRecorder generated AI or multiplayer). It's a very simple but effective implementation of an idea I had. Being an aircraft has the advantage that you can swap in and out of BOB quite easily though.

And he's invisible, so switching to spot,tower or other external view yeilds no benefit.