PDA

View Full Version : Adding sceneries to the scenery library - Windows7

CBris
December 8th, 2009, 11:27
From the chats I am having, I guess this may be a common known bug...

I have sceneries on a secondary drive. When I try to add them into the FSX scenery library it is very hit and miss. my first add worked instantly. The second one took a couple of attempts, the third one refused to exit the selection drop-down window for a long while and it only added after I manually edited the scenery area name in the lower input field

...and now there is nothing happening.

Is this a known bug and is there a known fix? Or is MS killing us off slowly?

IanP
December 8th, 2009, 11:32
I'm running W7 Home Premium 64 and have spent the last two days adding and removing sceneries with no problem at all (other than the known having to right click inside the white area after clicking "OK", to actually select them) so it's not a general W7/FSX problem, sorry.

CBris
December 8th, 2009, 11:48
That right click thingy works!

Never needed that before....

:medals:

falcon409
December 8th, 2009, 11:51
I posted this before for a similar question and it seems to work consistently for me:
In the Scenery Library, browse to the scenery folder you wish to add
Double click to view the contents (texture/scenery folders)
Click ok, then click "name" at the top and it's added.

I've never had a problem doing it this way. Might help, might not, but worth a try.

FAC257
December 8th, 2009, 14:45
I've done two full FSX re-installs with W7. One during the W7 Beta/RC and then just recently with a retail version of W7.

The right clicky thing I learned by accident during the beta, but it's worked everytime so far. At least I haven't run into any scenery yet that won't install. :)

FAC

AndyE1976
December 15th, 2009, 17:50
I've found it just easier to edit the scenery.cfg file, particularly with some sceneries that insist on installing to the main FSX directory.

harleyman
December 15th, 2009, 18:26
I've found it just easier to edit the scenery.cfg file, particularly with some sceneries that insist on installing to the main FSX directory.

Wwelcome Andy! What do you edit in the config file for that???

FLighT01
December 16th, 2009, 03:35
... particularly with some sceneries that insist on installing to the main FSX directory.

Fella's, does this mean that if you allow a scenery to install itself into the main FSX directory (in my case by itself on the D drive) that it is not necessary to manually add it from the scenery library after installation?

This has always confused me, especially with FSG mesh. A message to that effect to add the scenery manually always appears on the final window of the installer, but if I go to the scenery library and click on the add button and browse to the addon folder and select the newly installed scenery folder I always get a message that "the path already exists".

I remember that when I installed Fly Tampa's Kai-Tak I didn't go through that dance routine and there's no doubt that that it installed properly. Yet, it too has folders in the addon scenery folder that I didn't add manually.:isadizzy:

Snuffy
December 16th, 2009, 03:42
.. At least I haven't run into any scenery yet that won't install. :)

FAC

And lets hope you don't either FAC ... running into scenery isn't a good thing! :bump:

spotlope
December 16th, 2009, 08:34
Fella's, does this mean that if you allow a scenery to install itself into the main FSX directory (in my case by itself on the D drive) that it is not necessary to manually add it from the scenery library after installation?

This has always confused me, especially with FSG mesh. A message to that effect to add the scenery manually always appears on the final window of the installer, but if I go to the scenery library and click on the add button and browse to the addon folder and select the newly installed scenery folder I always get a message that "the path already exists".

I remember that when I installed Fly Tampa's Kai-Tak I didn't go through that dance routine and there's no doubt that that it installed properly. Yet, it too has folders in the addon scenery folder that I didn't add manually.:isadizzy:

In order for the scenery to show up, it has to be in a directory that's been registered in the scenery library. You can do that two ways; either install into a directory that's already registered (the "Addon Scenery" folder in the FSX root, for example). Or install it where you like, and then register that folder in the scenery library. Most commercial scenery installers have scripts that automatically register whatever folder they've been installed to, however, which is what happened in the case of your Kai Tak.

FLighT01
December 17th, 2009, 03:29
Now I understand, thanks.