PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National Park, Texas

jmig
December 8th, 2009, 11:09
I have literally been to every corner of Texas. Texline, Brownsville, Orange, Texarkana, El Paso. The one place I had never been to in Texas was Big Bend. My wife and I spent a long weekend in Big Bend. What a hidden gem! The place was beautiful and so diverse.

We saw it after one of the few winter storms that affects the area and, so, saw it in a way few visitors do. The next day, it was back to normal. :)

Here are a few photos of the area.

Snuffy
December 8th, 2009, 11:10
That last picture looks like something out of the Ten Commandments movie. LOL!

Ickie
December 8th, 2009, 11:15
In 1973 while I was stationed at Ft Hood our company took a 2 week raft trip adventure around Big Bend, wow what a trip. One canyon took us all day to go through. I remember all those pictures

DaveKDEN
December 8th, 2009, 11:51
Nice! There an airport nearby where we could take a look in FSX?

traindriver98
December 8th, 2009, 12:10
And people wonder why I call Texas home. Would love to see more of the photos.:ernae:

lifejogger
December 8th, 2009, 13:16
Yep, that is a beautiful place, thanks for posting.

OBIO
December 8th, 2009, 13:26
Using Google Earth, I pulled up Big Bend National Park and did a search for airports around it.....here's the screenshot:

jmig
December 8th, 2009, 13:58
I flew out of Lejatis Intn last night. :icon_lol: What a joke. It is a hidden drug running airport. I had to hit Y then F4 to get altitude. FAX has it buried a 100 feet into the earth.

The formations are good and look much like the actual structures. They are smoother in FSX than real. The river sucks. Not at all like the real thing.

Here are a couple more pictures. The rest are still in the large a zillion pixels format. The road is coming into the park.

luckydog
December 8th, 2009, 15:53
Up until 4 years ago ( at which time I moved to N.C.), Big Bend was a yearly pilgrimage for myself and about ten other motorcyclists living in the Texas hill-country.
We would always camp at Rio Grande Village (east side) and spend our days riding and exploring the park and nearby towns (Terlingua).

Very desolate but also very beautiful.

Cloud9Gal
December 8th, 2009, 16:31
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs154.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Wow jmig! Stunning views! Almost all of the pictures would make awesome wallpapers! I enjoyed seeing them! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing a piece of it with all of us!

tigisfat
December 8th, 2009, 17:47
Thank you for those beautiful pics. when I want to see Big bend, I usually fly into Marfa. It has decent size, and there are some cool mountains to clear on the way in. There is an indoor tomato-growing facility next to the airport, and many glide from it as well. You guys will probably enjoy it in-sim.