PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for a new system....

Brian_Gladden
December 7th, 2009, 15:28
Thinking of buying (custom built by a local shop) a new computer system.

Cost is an issue but I want something that will dominate FS9 and run FSX at a decent rate.

Current system is a P-IV 3 gig with 4 gig of DDR2 and a rather full 100 gig hard drive along with a slave second drive (Also pretty full)

The shop might be willing to salvage some of my secondary hardware like my Soundblaster card, DVD burner and second DVD drive to save a few $$

I'm thinking an ATI 3 gig dual core, 4 gig of DDR 3 a new ATI vid card. A new case and Powersupply is mandatory as is probably upgrading from XP to either Vista or W7 for the dual core support.

Any suggestions?

Brian

stansdds
December 8th, 2009, 16:27
Windows XP works just fine with dual and quad core CPU's. If you wish to change operating systems, skip Vista and go to Windows 7.

As for CPU's, I used to be a huge AMD fan, but today Intel pretty much has the lead. FSX needs a fast CPU, my dual core is up to 3.6 GHz and that is giving me good frame rates and smoothness.

hey_moe
December 11th, 2009, 01:35
Brian, with all the sites offering free shipping and some have no tax, have you shopped around on line for a good deal.

GT182
January 10th, 2010, 15:32
Brian, check PriceWatch.com. They have some very good deals. And, build it yourself to save money. If I can do it you can too. Trust me, it's not all that hard to do.

Do buy a Full Tower case... more room =s more air flow =s less heat. Plus it's easier to work on doing the hardware installs.

Cazzie
January 11th, 2010, 01:37
Brian, any good dual-core will make FS9 hop, but I would go full quad-core for FSX, it is more GPU heavy than anything.

I have a 3.0 dual-core and while I can fly FSX in rural settings it bogs down bad in traffic. I can go anywhere in the world ion FS9, New York, London, Hong Kong, nothing slows down FS9.

Caz

HundertzehnGustav
January 21st, 2010, 06:51
Hard drive: 500 Gigs or 640, costs 35-50 euroes in here.
7200rpm prefferred...