PDA

View Full Version : Carenado sale at PC Aviator through Dec. 19

dswo
December 7th, 2009, 13:54
http://www.pcaviator.com/dlstore/home.php?cat=61

MCDesigns
December 7th, 2009, 14:09
Thanks David, I was just over there looking to see if I needed another new aircraft in the hanger, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Naki
December 7th, 2009, 14:10
Check their web site they have 30% off everything, except the Seneca and Saratoga.

ryanbatc
December 7th, 2009, 14:38
yeah i was hoping the pa32 would be included oh well. Hopefully their BE33 will be nice

FAC257
December 7th, 2009, 15:01
The only one of their FSX aircraft fleet that I didn't have was the 172 on skis.

At $9.00 I couldn't resist. So now my FSX Carenado hanger isn't missing a piece anymore. :)

FAC

Kiwikat
December 7th, 2009, 15:07
Awww I was thinking about getting the Seneca too... oh well.

Gotta pick up the FW-190 anyways and also wait for the Captainsim sale around Xmas time.

gajit
December 7th, 2009, 15:11
Good advice KiwiKat - i keep forgetting sale time :ernae:

spotlope
December 7th, 2009, 15:15
I'm looking for their 172, the wheeled version. It doesn't seem to be on the list, unless I missed it - only the ski and float versions available. Odd.

FAC257
December 7th, 2009, 15:20
Third one down in the left column with the red paint scheme.

FAC

Kiwikat
December 7th, 2009, 15:24
The 30% off C172 is available at the Carenado store. :wavey:

ryanbatc
December 7th, 2009, 15:24
That's the 182

Yep, I cant find the 172 either

JimC1702
December 7th, 2009, 15:32
I want some of what you guys are drinking! :)

The 172 is in the left column, third one down. At least on my computer.

Jim

FAC257
December 7th, 2009, 15:32
Hmmmm. :)

When I click on that shot it takes me to the wheeled 172N info page.

FAC

Jim, sorry we must have been posting at the same time. :)

ryanbatc
December 7th, 2009, 15:43
Ahhh I wasn't even looking at Carenados site - I was following the link from the first post....

I see it on C's site, not on the pc aviator site

MCDesigns
December 7th, 2009, 15:52
LOL, yeah, carenado, PC Aviator and Simmarket are all running the sale, wonder if there are any differences.

Curious, anyone running/ran both 206s in FSX, any big visual differences. I run the FS9 version and while it runs great, just seems a little flat on details and thought maybe the FSX version looked better in FSX..

FAC257
December 7th, 2009, 16:14
I only had the FS9 206 installed in FSX for a very short time way back.

I think the only real visual difference I can see between the FS9 vs FSX version is the prop. The new one is a true FSX model and doesn't have the FS9 prop issue.

FAC

dswo
December 7th, 2009, 16:36
Curious, anyone running/ran both 206s in FSX, any big visual differences. I run the FS9 version and while it runs great, just seems a little flat on details and thought maybe the FSX version looked better in FSX..

Here's how I ended my AVSIM review:

Carenado sells the Stationair for US$30. There is no discount for upgraders, but there is a free patch that will make the old version flyable in the new sim. What do you get with the new version? On the outside, bump mapping, specular mapping, and light bloom; on the inside, dynamic shadows in the virtual cockpit. Also, your propeller won’t disappear in front of clouds.

From the developer’s point of view, this probably counts as an overhaul, because the model had to be recreated using new tools. From a customer’s point of view, the changes will seem incremental. On the one hand, it would have been nice to have sharper textures in the virtual cockpit. On the other hand, all of the old repaints are usable, the engine sound is still full, and the frame rates are still high.

luftwulf
December 7th, 2009, 16:45
WTF.... I have more money going out than coming in this month, my hanger will be so full it will take me till the summer to fly'em all..... :ernae:

Looks like I'll pick up the Archer II for the score...... and my wife asks me what do I want for Christmas, and I say ooohhh nothing dear :173go1:

LW

DB93
December 8th, 2009, 13:14
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I don't own any Carenado aircraft, but I'm seriously considering picking up a couple through this sale. I'd love to hear some opinions on their Piper Cherokee, and their 182's (the RG and the Q Standard and Long Range versions), and I also have a couple of questions for folks that may own any of them.

First, on all three, what are their respective cruise speeds in relation to the default 172? I'd like something a little faster than the 172, but not too fast.

Second, aside from retractable gear, and potential flying distance, what other differences are there between the 182 RG and Q variants?

Finally, I'm also considering the U206 Stationair, but I've read that the panels and vc gauges can be a little fuzzy on that model, but I honestly don't know if that was referring to their FS9 version or their FSX version (or both). I really like that it has several variants, especially the amphibian, so that was actually at the top of my list, but I'm a little worried about having a potentially blurry vc, so I'm hestitant about buying it without some opinons from folks that own it.

So, those are the four I'm considering, and I'm only budgeted to buy two of them (wife said the cutoff was around $30-$35ish lol), so I'd like a couple of opinions on which two would be the most recommended.

Thanks for any info! :)

Kiwikat
December 8th, 2009, 13:33
I love the Carenado 182Q. It is the first payware addon I ever purchased back in FS9. It flies well, sounds good, and looks nice.

I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a Cessna that is better than the defaults. :medals:

cheezyflier
December 8th, 2009, 18:51
the 206 is nice but the sound is awful. in fact the 206 is my fav plane, (after the kodiak) but i don't fly it because it sounds like a weed whacker. best model for the $$ (imo) is the 182 or the 152.

Kiwikat
December 8th, 2009, 18:57
the 206 is nice but the sound is awful. in fact the 206 is my fav plane, (after the kodiak) but i don't fly it because it sounds like a weed whacker. best model for the $$ (imo) is the 182 or the 152.

IIRC TSS or someone else had some C206 sounds that were better than the Carenado ones.

DB93
December 8th, 2009, 20:34
Well I decided on the 206 and the 182. At just under $35 for both, I feel I got two good planes for a good value. I figure if the sounds are really that bad on the 206, I could always alias them to something else if I can't find a better sound set for it. Thanks for the advice. :)

cheezyflier
December 9th, 2009, 06:57
IIRC TSS or someone else had some C206 sounds that were better than the Carenado ones.

someone pointed me to some sounds for the 206 that were for fs9, (i don't remember now whose) i haven't found any yet for fsx.

MHAircraft
December 9th, 2009, 07:43
Grabbed the Mentor for FSX. Now I just need to find time to fly her.

cbreeze
December 10th, 2009, 16:13
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone was having trouble accessing the download store? I bought the Carenado Seneca yesterday and all went well. I tried several times to access the site tonight but got a http 403 error. I wanted to buy one or two other aircraft. I have never experienced this.

BTW the Seneca is awesome. Well worth the money and perhaps their best yet.

cbreeze

TeaSea
December 10th, 2009, 16:23
I am getting the same error. I can get into the base site, but not to the sale pages.

I picked out the 172 with floats yesterday....it's great!

NoNewMessages
December 10th, 2009, 17:02
If you can't hit the Carenado site, Flightsim's FS Pilot Shop is showing the same 30% off sale.

cbreeze
December 10th, 2009, 17:20
Thanks everyone. Must be a problem with thier server if I am not the only one having that problem.

Back to the Seneca, I have about 90 hours in the real thing and it sure brings back memories and much, much cheaper to operate. :applause: Engine sounds on this model seem to be pretty accurate.

Cbreeze

DB93
December 10th, 2009, 18:52
I made my purchases through PC Aviator, so they are also an option if you can't get through to the Carenado store.

Cheezyflier, I spent some time in the 206 today, and I have to agree with what you said. Great plane, terrible sound. :\ I was almost taken aback at just how poor the sound quality is. I think I'm going to just alias the sound to the default 208 until/unless someone finds a good sound set for it (I searched the usual sites, but didn't come up with anything for the FSX version.) Thank you for the very accurate assessment of it, it's an otherwise very nice plane.

ryanbatc
December 10th, 2009, 18:54
Might want to put in the c172 sounds instead of the 208. The 208 is a turboprop, the C206 is a recip.

DB93
December 10th, 2009, 19:50
Might want to put in the c172 sounds instead of the 208. The 208 is a turboprop, the C206 is a recip.

Thanks, I didn't even give that a consideration. I'll be aliasing it to the 172 then, as I want the sound to at least be in the right ballpark. :)

euroastar350
December 10th, 2009, 21:29
Turbine Sound Studios (http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/) made the sounds for the C206. You can purchase there products on Simmarket.

cheezyflier
December 11th, 2009, 07:23
yesterday while googling i came across a forum post from somewhere that gave cfg changes that would give the 206 turbo power. i didn't try it because i like it the way it is.

DB93
December 11th, 2009, 07:51
yesterday while googling i came across a forum post from somewhere that gave cfg changes that would give the 206 turbo power. i didn't try it because i like it the way it is.

Hmm, that's interesting. Are there any real turbo 206's, or is it just an 'I did it cause it can be done in FSX (or I just wanted it faster)' type of mod?

RCAF_Gunner
December 11th, 2009, 08:44
Anyone else getting a 403 error when trying to access the PC Aviator Download store?

Lionheart
December 11th, 2009, 09:37
AAARRGH..

This is too good to pass up. They make some great planes....

Bill

DB93
December 11th, 2009, 10:29
Anyone else getting a 403 error when trying to access the PC Aviator Download store?

Just checked it, I got a 403 error as well. Fortunately, the sale prices are available at a few other places already mentioned in this thread, so if you can't get through there, there's at least a few other places to try. :)

Lionheart
December 11th, 2009, 12:45
I have the 182 RG for FS9 from a year or two ago, and that thing is AWESOME.....!

I did a couple of repaints for it.

Great soundpack as well.

The stock white plastic panel is horrible, so I made my own fake wood plastic panel. I think there are two versions of panel plastic that come with it. (Cant remember).

Attached is one of the blue and white ones in the package, white panel, stock, and the red stripes with gray interior and wood panel is my own paint scheme for it.

Bill

RCAF_Gunner
December 11th, 2009, 15:20
Just checked it, I got a 403 error as well. Fortunately, the sale prices are available at a few other places already mentioned in this thread, so if you can't get through there, there's at least a few other places to try. :)

Thanks for confirming that for me George. At least it's not just me. I was trying to avoid creating another online account. :d

Kiwikat
December 11th, 2009, 17:15
The stock white plastic panel is horrible, so I made my own fake wood plastic panel.

Do you have that uploaded anywhere? I'm interested in it. :wavey:

RCAF_Gunner
December 12th, 2009, 11:10
Well, thanks to the temptation provided by the sale, I picked up my first Carenado product: the C152 II. Very nice indeed.

alpine
December 18th, 2009, 10:28
Hi, everybody,

one day left, no I´m not payed by Carenado, I love that light and crisp feeling.
Is there any practical way (for computerdummies) to add splashsound to her? To Bills Kodiak would be nice too..

Cheers, Thilo

TeaSea
December 19th, 2009, 04:59
Sure hope so. This is one I purchased that I've suddenly become addicted to.

Exploring the Queen Charlotte Islands at present.....

DB93
December 19th, 2009, 11:49
Hi, everybody,

one day left, no I´m not payed by Carenado, I love that light and crisp feeling.
Is there any practical way (for computerdummies) to add splashsound to her? To Bills Kodiak would be nice too..

Cheers, Thilo

Hi Thilo,

I don't have the Carenado 172, but I do have Bill's Kodiak. What I did to add the splash sound to the Kodiak is as follows:

1.) Go to your C208B\Sound folder, and backup SOUND.CFG. (We're using this one, since that's what the kodiak is mapped to for sound.)

2.) Open the SOUND.CFG in the C208B\Sound folder using a program like Notepad.

3.) Scroll down to the block of code that reads:

[GROUND_ROLL]
filename=bnroll
flags=125218
viewpoint=1
minimum_volume=6000
maximum_volume=9600
minimum_speed=3
maximum_speed=25
minimum_rate=0.80
maximum_rate=0.95
link=GROUND_ROLL1

[GROUND_ROLL1]
filename=bnroll2
flags=135380
viewpoint=1

4.) Add the following code immediately under the 'viewpoint=1' entry:

link=GROUND_ROLL2

[GROUND_ROLL2]
filename=waterloop
flags=8
minimum_volume=6000
maximum_volume=9300
minimum_speed=3
maximum_speed=55
minimum_rate=0.95
maximum_rate=1.10

5.) Save the SOUND.CFG file, load up the Kodiak, and land or take off in water and you should have the splash sounds now.

The values I used are the ones from the default Beaver, and that's how I accomplished getting splash sounds on the Kodiak. As for the splash sounds for the Carenado, I don't know if they're aliasing the sound from another plane or if it has it's own sound set (for the 172), so I can't help you with that one, unfortunately. However I would expect the principle to be the same.

Good luck, and hope this helps. :)

-George

alpine
December 20th, 2009, 05:34
Thank you, George,

Your Kodiak splash works great, of course, but no sucess with the C172...
The soundcfg has 6 ground roll entries?! Then I looked into the C206 soundcfg, she has splashsound, here Carenado works with the fuselagescrape entry - tried same with the C172, but...,Hey, this is nothing that stops me from sleep at night!
Thanks for the Kodiak!

Cheers, Thilo

TeaSea
December 20th, 2009, 06:01
I couldn't resist it......

I had to pick up the ski equipped 172 in the last couple of hours of the sale. Been running around the mountains around Fairbanks since....

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 06:43
Thank you, George,

Your Kodiak splash works great, of course, but no sucess with the C172...
The soundcfg has 6 ground roll entries?! Then I looked into the C206 soundcfg, she has splashsound, here Carenado works with the fuselagescrape entry - tried same with the C172, but...,Hey, this is nothing that stops me from sleep at night!
Thanks for the Kodiak!

Cheers, Thilo

Thilo, the water splash sound should be tied to a GROUND_ROLL section. If the last GROUND_ROLL is 6 in the Carenado C172, I'd suggest using the same section I pasted above for the Kodiak, but change the numbers so that they're one higher than the highest current GROUND_ROLL section.

So if your last GROUND_ROLL section is GROUND_ROLL6, then at the very end of that section, directly under the last line, paste in the code the following way:

link=GROUND_ROLL7

[GROUND_ROLL7]
filename=waterloop
flags=8
minimum_volume=6000
maximum_volume=9300
minimum_speed=3
maximum_speed=55
minimum_rate=0.95
maximum_rate=1.10

The 'link=GROUND_ROLL7' part needs to be there to activate the GROUND_ROLL7 section. The 'flags=8' is the part that tells the sim that this sound is active in water, and waterloop is the actual name of the file that is played back that contains the water sounds.

Hope that helps you get it working on the C172 from Carenado, and best of luck. :)

-George

alpine
December 20th, 2009, 07:05
Hi,George,

thank you so much, perfect! And thanks for the explanations.

Cheers, Thilo

DB93
December 20th, 2009, 07:16
Hi Thilo,

No problem, happy to help. :)

-George