PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight question

ronvking
December 7th, 2009, 09:27
Very seriously considering getting this sim but the other thing that puts me off is the requirement to be connected to the internet. Sometimes for me thats a problem as slow and often drops out.

Whats the internet usage rate of the program, again due to circs and where I live I don't have unlimited broadband so if it eats the gigs then its not for me.

Thanks

Ron

Stickshaker
December 7th, 2009, 10:05
There have been quite a few posts about this in this forum. I think the general opinion is that the Internet connection is not a problem. I had my doubts but never had any issues with it.

gajit
December 7th, 2009, 10:16
If you mean that your own internet drops a lot then I would be concerned.

spotlope
December 7th, 2009, 10:30
There are two things they seem to use the internet for; validation, and delivering updates. The validation is probably not a big problem for even someone with a super slow connection. Basically, you sign in to the game using your unique username and password whenever it starts, and the game pings their validation server to make sure you're running a legal copy. I don't know the specifics of the transaction, but it's safe to say it's probably a very minimal exchange that any sort of connection could do quickly.

The game updates might prove a bit more challenging, as they can sometimes run into the hundreds of megs or more. Of course, you're not under any obligation to install them, and perhaps there's a way to order them on CD, I don't know.

The long and short of it: if you don't mind having to validate each time you run it, your connection shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

gajit
December 7th, 2009, 10:44
Hi Spotlope

Do you know if you can start a 2nd mission if you lose your connection? I have had several warnings come up during a flight but connection was regained by my pc before i got shot down!!

ronvking
December 7th, 2009, 10:46
The long and short of it: if you don't mind having to validate each time you run it, your connection shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

Thanks, thought it might be something similar and I can live with that.

:ernae:

Ron

spotlope
December 7th, 2009, 10:52
Hi Spotlope

Do you know if you can start a 2nd mission if you lose your connection? I have had several warnings come up during a flight but connection was regained by my pc before i got shot down!!

No idea, Gajit. I guess my connection has never gone down during flight. Too bad I can't say the same about myself.

gajit
December 7th, 2009, 10:53
LOL - i go down more than a XXXXX in a XXXXX :engel016:

Snuffy
December 7th, 2009, 10:59
Doesn't much matter any more ... I'm still dead in the water and wiped the game from my harddrive last night. :(

gajit
December 7th, 2009, 11:01
I disconnected my internet during a flight. Once i crashed and tried to fly again it would not let me.

Hey Snuffy. Have you sought any help from the ROF forum?

Snuffy
December 7th, 2009, 11:02
... Hey Snuffy. Have you sought any help from the ROF forum?

Yep got 4 or 5 posts over there and no joy from that front either. :173go1:

I'm apparently not the only one with the "I can't run it any more syndrome either ..."

MrReset
December 7th, 2009, 21:12
I also want to buy RoF, but the game needs an internet-conncetion the whole time you play the game! WtF??? So I play RB3D with Mods ...

DennyA
December 7th, 2009, 21:59
I also want to buy RoF, but the game needs an internet-conncetion the whole time you play the game! WtF??? So I play RB3D with Mods ...
It's 2009... Unless you live in a rural area and are stuck on dial-up, this pretty much is a non-concern.

The actual internet usage should be on order of kilobytes, not megabytes, if you're not playing multiplayer.

ronvking
December 8th, 2009, 04:09
Just purchased ROF and installed it and the internet connection has gone right to a 900mb update update, been an hour and only 30% downloaded and at the moment the connections running faster than normal. Hoping this does not fall over in the meantime.

Oh and this 900mb update is going to cost around 8 quid just in download charges. Nice :banghead:

foreigndevil
December 8th, 2009, 04:12
Have you tried OFF (Over Flanders Fields)? Great game and you'll only need the internet for patches.

MrReset
December 8th, 2009, 05:08
It's 2009... Unless you live in a rural area and are stuck on dial-up, this pretty much is a non-concern.

The actual internet usage should be on order of kilobytes, not megabytes, if you're not playing multiplayer.

You mean it's normal to need an internet-conncetion with an Offline-game? Sorry, no purchase! I don't even buy games which I have to activate! But an internet-connection for a offline-game is weird ...
What is if I want to sell the game?

PS: OFF sounds good, I get a glimpse ...

foreigndevil
December 9th, 2009, 05:45
Many aircraft in OFF, thousands of aircraft skins. I find the scenery/terrain better looking than RoF (I find it similar to FTX in FSX). Nice atmosphere and great frame rates (see the top left corner of the screenshot below)! And improvements are constantly being made for better performance and accuracy.

Lateral-G
December 9th, 2009, 06:05
There are two things they seem to use the internet for; validation, and delivering updates. The validation is probably not a big problem for even someone with a super slow connection. Basically, you sign in to the game using your unique username and password whenever it starts, and the game pings their validation server to make sure you're running a legal copy. I don't know the specifics of the transaction, but it's safe to say it's probably a very minimal exchange that any sort of connection could do quickly.

The game updates might prove a bit more challenging, as they can sometimes run into the hundreds of megs or more. Of course, you're not under any obligation to install them, and perhaps there's a way to order them on CD, I don't know.

Thanks for that clarification. I had thought about getting RoF but this information makes it a no-go for me just on principle. Call me antiquated but I don't want to have to "validate" my program each and every time I boot it up. I don't have a problem with a one time online validation to prove I purchased a legal copy but I do not want to have to do it repeatedly.

-G-

Lionheart
December 9th, 2009, 10:21
I didnt mind the internet connection. More programs are going that route.

The thing I didnt like was its poor frame rates and difficulty in shooting anything down. I have had it since it first came out and never once was I able to shoot anything down.

I adjusted the scenery to where it was some odd color and no detail and that allowed it to run smooth and fluid (somewhat) and then dogfights were a bit more smoother but still, you poor all that ammo into the target area and they just keep on flying. Yet its like just a couple of shots in my plane and I am down in flames!!!!?!! arrghh..

Its still on my HD, but I never play it. Just havent deleted it.

Mind you, some really love this game. I am a rare one, as I cannot hit targets like some of you guys can. But man, I sure tried. Others score hits quite a bit, so it surely must be me.

Bill

Slug Flyer
December 9th, 2009, 11:35
Its still on my HD, but I never play it. Just havent deleted it.

Likewise, though my reasons for leaving RoF to collect dust were somewhat different. I didn't have any performance issues, and I was willing to accept the steep learning curve, but the complete lack of depth or polish in the campaign (my wingmen aren't even in proper squadron colors?) and monotonous, repetitive AI, combined with the obtuse UI, drove me away.

I take note of the Rise of Flight icon on my desktop every now and then and think idly about someday giving it another chance.

kilo delta
December 9th, 2009, 13:23
I've just built a sim computer for my 7 year old and was going to get ROF for him too. As the computer is not,nor will not be connected to the internet, I guess he'll have to be happy with FSX :kilroy::icon_lol:.

foreigndevil
December 10th, 2009, 01:59
the complete lack of depth or polish in the campaign (my wingmen aren't even in proper squadron colors?) and monotonous, repetitive AI, combined with the obtuse UI, drove me away.

No problems with wingmen in wrong colors in OFF!:d

icycle
December 10th, 2009, 06:29
I too have been driven away. All the points mentioned, plus I just could not get used to the strange flight dynamics. They just seemed "quirky" to me. Like how the AI could spin literally "on a dime", but I couldn't even come close to match that. There are all sorts of conversations over on the ROF forum, whether aircraft control is a "bug" (as maintained by a number of users), or a "feature" (aggressively defended by the developer on the boards). Devolved into an argument about response curves, & stick angles (get out your engineering degree). All silly really, when you think about it.

Overall, the game left me "cold", and it sits on my hard drive, unused. Over Flanders Fields, however, seems much more "engaging" (say "complete"), covering more of the war, with more flyable planes (that you don't have to pay extra for!!!).

Bill

foreigndevil
December 10th, 2009, 10:32
OFF will get even better with the next addon (more and higher definition planes [the Americans join in] and new effects, etc.). And be sure that it is very atmospheric. The sounds are great: there's the sound of constant shelling, Flak/Archie sound, ... Very immersive.:jump: But it's still CFS3 and not all bugs have been cured (many have been cured, though).

UnknownGuest12
December 10th, 2009, 10:42
Read some reviews on FlightSim and 95% are just terrible...

Got OFF and quite happy with it. Excelent. More than enough for me.
Not going to change or have both...

Regards

Francois
December 10th, 2009, 11:00
This is either a case of a 'bad game' or 'ROF Haters' having time to post about it..... :engel016:

I am like many of you... not having shot down more than 1 or 2 adversaries. But I like the graphics of the sim and I am sure with more time on my hands than I currently have, I'll be able to learn to use it properly. Same goes for Lomac and DCS Black Shark. Can't get much out of those either......

As for not wanting to validate software that gets stolen otherwise.... hmmm... 'antquated' is indeed the right word for that I presume. Won't be much longer before nothing will run off the internet anymore, including your CAR ! :bump:

I for one will leave it and hopefully get a little more time in future. OFF sounds interesting too though, so I'll just 'pack' that on one of the Tb disks too :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Ferry_vO
December 10th, 2009, 11:07
No doubt RoF is still a work in progress; I bought it with V1.007 and have seen two big updates that have made RoF quite a bit better IMHO. Yes it is quite difficult to score a kill but it can be done with a lot of practice. The difficulty can be adjusted in many ways so don't let that get you down.

The internet connection seems only neccessary to log in and download update, at least if you don't fly online so not much of an issue for me.

Graphics wise this might be the sim of the future! Remember that Aerosoft is working on a civilian flightsim too..? :engel016:

IanP
December 10th, 2009, 13:00
Well it can't be that hard. I can do it!

The biggest difference I found was when I zeroed my guns a lot closer to my nose than the default. In a 1v1 it's very, very, rare that I lose now (although the Fokker Tripe got away from me in an SE5a - I just couldn't catch him).

2v1 is a different story. It doesn't matter how much I twist and turn, there's always one right behind me shooting. I very rarely get chance to get a single kill then before I'm in the dirt.

heywooood
December 10th, 2009, 19:42
yes - my gun convergence is always set between 55 and 65 depending on the mission - farther for two seaters and balloon targets - nearer for fighter romps

reel them in close and then blast them center mass - they flame nicely

if you are leaving your gun convergence at default you are not hitting the barn door

heywooood
December 10th, 2009, 19:46
Well it can't be that hard. I can do it!

The biggest difference I found was when I zeroed my guns a lot closer to my nose than the default. In a 1v1 it's very, very, rare that I lose now (although the Fokker Tripe got away from me in an SE5a - I just couldn't catch him).

2v1 is a different story. It doesn't matter how much I twist and turn, there's always one right behind me shooting. I very rarely get chance to get a single kill then before I'm in the dirt.

they drag and bag very professionally in RoF - you must not lock on to one for too long- pepper the first one then quickly turn away and look for the other...reel him in and pepper him and then back to the first one

if you are 1 v 2 you must not try to lock onto one and down him in one go - you have to parry and turn - parry and turn until both are damaged enough to finish off without concern

ronvking
December 10th, 2009, 20:38
Well as previously I ended up getting ROF, I like the graphics and I'm not having too much of a frame hit.

One thing I have found very annoying is that quite often, in combat, your head tips back suddenly and you end up staring up at the sky. More often than not you lose your awareness and end up crashing if low level. Not quite sure why it does that because I've even turned off various factors included getting injuried etc so in theory its not me getting hit as I thought it might be when it first happened.

Also think the mission editor is more complex than it could be but not studied it to hard, yet.

heywooood
December 11th, 2009, 05:08
I think your view problem might be related to the F10 key and button 2 on your j/s

you need to select a forward view you like and then press F10 to lock it in - then whenever you press your j/s button 2 your view will pan back to that locked F10 view you have set.

if you accidentally press j/s 2 and have not set F10 (do that at the very beginning of each flight - before engine start) your view will pan to whatever