PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving it

euroastar350
December 6th, 2009, 22:17
Well after a long time battling with FSX to run smoothly, I have won the battle. My comp specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron 530
Windows Vistas Home Premium
2.20 Ghz processor
2GB DDR2 RAM
CD/DVD-RW drive
500GB hard drive
FS9.0 (FS2004)
FSX Acceleration

I've only had this maching for a year and half now...and up until now, I've had no luck getting FSX running the way I want, let alone installing Acceleration without an aftermarket graphics card.

The on-board graphics chipset is an Intel G31/G33...but cannot enable anti-aliasing or use all of the FSX features (water, scenery, etc). I purchase an Nvidia FX6200 last year to see if things would improve....nada. No DX10 preview enabled since it was a DX9 card anyways, plus the processing speed was only a mere 512MB.

Now just last week I purchased an Nvidia FX9400 GTX and all I can say is...WOW!!!! This card has 1GB processing speed, it is a DX10 complaint card...so now I can use DX10 preview. With this card, I can now have autogen and water reflections set full and still have awesome frame rates (30-50fps in most areas)...with FS9, I can get up to 100fps with all sliders to the right..Now how is that for performance:applause:

I did some tests with some high end models in FSX, namely the ND Super Puma and CH53E. The performance will take a slight hit in built up areas...but in other areas, I can maintain at least 25-50fps...stock aircraft have high frames.

The best part out of all of this is that my computer is all stock with no mods, its the video card is doing all the magic:icon29:

txnetcop
December 7th, 2009, 01:36
I am not surprised I just rebuilt one of those for a youngster who could not afford to buy a new computer. Actually it isn't the card that is doing all the work, it is the bandwidth you have with the Foxxconn made for DELL G31M chipset 800 mhz bandwidth that just happens to be a perfect match for the Nvidia FX9400 GTX which has the same bandwidth combined with DDR2 memory. I think if you change out the 667 mhz memory that comes with the DELL 530 to a faster 800 mhz memory you will really be surprised, I added an E6850 to his DELL 530 combined with Corsair 800 mhz memory and a Zotac 8800GT video card I had laying around, and it ran FSX and even Crysis very well. Like the Gigabyte G31M the Foxxconn G31 is surprisingly quick with the right combo of video card and memory.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">