PDA

View Full Version : Not many do it better...

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 12:25
To all,

This is precisely why I asked Devildog73 to assist me in writing the Salerno landing mission for the Med Beaufighter campaign. I just wanted to post this pic as an example of his fine work, and how complicated you can make MB if you really want to. The mission size is 63.9kb, just under the 64kb hard cap for non XP or higher-based systems.

CrisGer
December 6th, 2009, 12:54
Wow is all i can say. Wonderful to see this attention to detail. Thanks so much!

hewman100
December 6th, 2009, 13:19
:jawdrop:Dare I even utter "Overlord", "Husky",or "Jubilee":monkies:

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 13:49
Okay guys,

I haven't decided on goals yet, but the basic format of the mission is set. Feel free to have a go at her if you want. I didn't do a readme for it, so you guys will have to do some hunting to find what ya need. I didn't make it too hard, though.

One word of warning about Bismarck13s Beaufighter VIC. Running it from a single aircraft folder doesn't work. Instead, break the Beau up into three separate aircraft, Flak, Torp, and Torp / radar. Otherwise, you'll have an "aircraft initialization failure" message which befuddled me for an hour or so.

Devildog73
December 6th, 2009, 16:17
Awe shucks........:kilroy:

I feel kinda bad that I did not go back in and name all of the British fleet ships that were used in Avalanche before I sent it to you.

Shall I do that on the one you have on this thread?

Also, send me some instructions as to how to break the VIc apart.

I know how to do it with nomally configed a/c, but not ones configured with several air files and such.

Talon
December 6th, 2009, 16:20
Well you know the old saying "Every Dog Has His Day" :icon_lol:

Looks Good Devildog.

Talon

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 16:22
Devildog,

Actually, I have the mission open right now with a printout of the e-mails and am going through and hand-editing them manually in order to give them the right names. Usually, I made them up using towns and cities....

Devildog73
December 6th, 2009, 16:24
I also wanted to use some af_arty shell impacts on the beaches, but thought I'd let Rami determine how much he wanted in there.

BTW, is there a way to make shell splashes around the landing craft?

Oglivie
December 6th, 2009, 16:25
Very interesting and intricate work, good job as always DD. I'll give the Beau mission a whirl tomorrow or tuesday. Thanks for posting it.

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 16:37
Deciding what the goals of the mission are going to be is the next step. Right now, this is just my "base" model, so don't get too excited.

Oglivie
December 6th, 2009, 16:50
I also wanted to use some af_arty shell impacts on the beaches, but thought I'd let Rami determine how much he wanted in there.

BTW, is there a way to make shell splashes around the landing craft?

Yes, Ground Crew did one, but it seems that it may have been included with one of their campaigns as I don't recall seeing it at Reg's hanger as a seperate download.

Deciding what the goals of the mission are going to be is the next step. Right now, this is just my "base" model, so don't get too excited.

Okay, Dokay
:d

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 16:59
Once this campaign comes out...if you guys want to add artillery explosions and the like to add even more 'panache' to the mission, you are more than welcome to. For me, I am keeping the objects in the mission "as is," not because I don't want to improve it, but it is so full right now that any additional objects (even one!) will push it to the 64kb limit.

I do everything in my power to avoid pushing my missions past this marker, because then those with pre-XP vintage computers can't run the missions...they simply won't load.

Oglivie
December 6th, 2009, 17:14
Rami,

Time permitting, perhaps you could do two versions. Just a suggestion, I'm not picky personally but just thought.....

Rami
December 6th, 2009, 17:37
Oglivie,

In this case, I'm gonna have to decline. My experience with doing that for a couple of the Tuskegee Airmen missions taught me that they're often more trouble than they're worth.

The only additions I'd really make are some artillery and water shell effects, (both come with the Swordfish campaign, I think) and a German airbase layout at Paestum Gaudo.

As I said, once you download and install any of my stuff, they're yours. Feel free to toy with them to your heart's content. Anyway, I'm going to see about banging out a couple more missions before I drift off to dreamland. :sleep:

dvslats
December 7th, 2009, 18:35
Wow! you guys amaze me with the detail in your MB skills. :ernae:
I've knocked out some for my own thrills but never at this level. :applause: Of course, flying your own missions is kind of like already knowing what's on the last few pages of a book you're reading. Nice work...DD and Rami.
Dave